Adding a workgroup

I have a small wireless network of 4 comptuers and 1 laptop connected to
Workgroup "Family" via a Linksys BEFW11S4 Accesspoint/Router. I run Windows
XP Pro on all systems with NIS 2004 Professional as my firewall. I have no
problems accessing shared resources, my problem is how to limit the access of
certain folders to certain users on different computers. I can't seem to add
users or groups, in computermanagement, to any locations other than the local
computer. My question is can you add different workgroup locations to users
and groups on another computer. Thanks ZB

"=?Utf-8?B?WmIgS29ybmVja2k=?=" <ZbKornecki@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:1ED8D1D3-FB05-49C8-B8F5-7AE1574968AE@microsoft.com:

> I have a small wireless network of 4 comptuers and 1 laptop connected
> to Workgroup "Family" via a Linksys BEFW11S4 Accesspoint/Router. I
> run Windows XP Pro on all systems with NIS 2004 Professional as my
> firewall. I have no problems accessing shared resources, my problem
> is how to limit the access of certain folders to certain users on
> different computers. I can't seem to add users or groups, in
> computermanagement, to any locations other than the local computer.
> My question is can you add different workgroup locations to users and
> groups on another computer. Thanks ZB

Nope, that isn't possible unless you deploy Active Directory and set up a
domain, then create user accounts and groups that have permissions in the
domain.

For the workgroup shares you must set up accounts on each individual
machine. The accounts are stored in the local Security Accounts Manager
(SAM) database, which is not accessible from or by other computers in the
workgroup.

--
James McIllece, Microsoft

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online account
name for newsgroup participation only.

James Thanks if I can't limit the user access then is it possible for a
computer to belong to more than 1 workgroup? If so is /here a KB article that
can tell me how to do this. Thanks Zb

"James McIllece [MS]" wrote:

> "=?Utf-8?B?WmIgS29ybmVja2k=?=" <ZbKornecki@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in news:1ED8D1D3-FB05-49C8-B8F5-7AE1574968AE@microsoft.com:
>
> > I have a small wireless network of 4 comptuers and 1 laptop connected
> > to Workgroup "Family" via a Linksys BEFW11S4 Accesspoint/Router. I
> > run Windows XP Pro on all systems with NIS 2004 Professional as my
> > firewall. I have no problems accessing shared resources, my problem
> > is how to limit the access of certain folders to certain users on
> > different computers. I can't seem to add users or groups, in
> > computermanagement, to any locations other than the local computer.
> > My question is can you add different workgroup locations to users and
> > groups on another computer. Thanks ZB
> >

> Nope, that isn't possible unless you deploy Active Directory and set up a
> domain, then create user accounts and groups that have permissions in the
> domain.
>
> For the workgroup shares you must set up accounts on each individual
> machine. The accounts are stored in the local Security Accounts Manager
> (SAM) database, which is not accessible from or by other computers in the
> workgroup.
>
> --
> James McIllece, Microsoft
>
> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online account
> name for newsgroup participation only.

You can only belong to one workgroup at a time. Windows networking does
support multiple workgroups, and every computer can access all computers in
all workgroups.

When you click "View workgroup computers", only computers in your own
workgroup appear. To see all of the workgroups on the network, press the
Backspace key.

"Start | Run | \\Computer" should access a computer, regardless of what
workgroup it's in.

______________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Zb Kornecki" <ZbKornecki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> James Thanks if I can't limit the user access then is it possible for a
> computer to belong to more than 1 workgroup? If so is /here a KB article
> that
> can tell me how to do this. Thanks Zb
>
> "James McIllece [MS]" wrote:
>
>> "=?Utf-8?B?WmIgS29ybmVja2k=?=" <ZbKornecki@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in news:1ED8D1D3-FB05-49C8-B8F5-7AE1574968AE@microsoft.com:
>>
>> > I have a small wireless network of 4 comptuers and 1 laptop connected
>> > to Workgroup "Family" via a Linksys BEFW11S4 Accesspoint/Router. I
>> > run Windows XP Pro on all systems with NIS 2004 Professional as my
>> > firewall. I have no problems accessing shared resources, my problem
>> > is how to limit the access of certain folders to certain users on
>> > different computers. I can't seem to add users or groups, in
>> > computermanagement, to any locations other than the local computer.
>> > My question is can you add different workgroup locations to users and
>> > groups on another computer. Thanks ZB
>> >

>> Nope, that isn't possible unless you deploy Active Directory and set up a
>> domain, then create user accounts and groups that have permissions in the
>> domain.
>>
>> For the workgroup shares you must set up accounts on each individual
>> machine. The accounts are stored in the local Security Accounts Manager
>> (SAM) database, which is not accessible from or by other computers in the
>> workgroup.
>>
>> --
>> James McIllece, Microsoft
>>
>> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online
>> account
>> name for newsgroup participation only.

>> rights.

Eric 1 more question and maybe more to the point. In my home network I have
a compuer \\Main on wihich has has a password protected user account 'ZB'.
The permissions for the folder /zb's documents is set to everyone so that I
can map it as a drive on \\laptop. Is there any way I can make this folder
visible on \\laptop but not on \\kid1 and \\kid2. If so how. thanks Zb

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> You can only belong to one workgroup at a time. Windows networking does
> support multiple workgroups, and every computer can access all computers in
> all workgroups.
>
> When you click "View workgroup computers", only computers in your own
> workgroup appear. To see all of the workgroups on the network, press the
> Backspace key.
>
> "Start | Run | \\Computer" should access a computer, regardless of what
> workgroup it's in.
>
> ______________
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "Zb Kornecki" <ZbKornecki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > James Thanks if I can't limit the user access then is it possible for a
> > computer to belong to more than 1 workgroup? If so is /here a KB article
> > that
> > can tell me how to do this. Thanks Zb
> >
> > "James McIllece [MS]" wrote:

> >> Nope, that isn't possible unless you deploy Active Directory and set up a
> >> domain, then create user accounts and groups that have permissions in the
> >> domain.
> >>
> >> For the workgroup shares you must set up accounts on each individual
> >> machine. The accounts are stored in the local Security Accounts Manager
> >> (SAM) database, which is not accessible from or by other computers in the
> >> workgroup.
> >>
> >> --
> >> James McIllece, Microsoft
> >>
> >> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online
> >> account
> >> name for newsgroup participation only.

> >> rights.

Hello Zb,

When you share a folder it is visiable to all users on the local area
network. Since you have XP Pro, you have much more control to who will have
access to files by disabling Simple File Sharing and specify users and their
allowed mode.

Also, see this wepage.

Windows XP Simple File Sharing
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

______________

> Eric 1 more question and maybe more to the point. In my home network I
> have
> a compuer \\Main on wihich has has a password protected user account 'ZB'.
> The permissions for the folder /zb's documents is set to everyone so that
> can map it as a drive on \\laptop. Is there any way I can make this
> folder
> visible on \\laptop but not on \\kid1 and \\kid2. If so how. thanks Zb
>
> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You can only belong to one workgroup at a time. Windows networking does
>> support multiple workgroups, and every computer can access all computers
>> in
>> all workgroups.
>>
>> When you click "View workgroup computers", only computers in your own
>> workgroup appear. To see all of the workgroups on the network, press the
>> Backspace key.
>>
>> "Start | Run | \\Computer" should access a computer, regardless of what
>> workgroup it's in.
>>
>> ______________
>> Eric Cross
>> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>

>> "Zb Kornecki" <ZbKornecki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > James Thanks if I can't limit the user access then is it possible for a
>> > computer to belong to more than 1 workgroup? If so is /here a KB
>> > article
>> > that
>> > can tell me how to do this. Thanks Zb

Eris thanks this article was just what i needed. Zb