Installed WinXP Home on a computer with a ECS PM800-M2 motherboard. The
version of XP was originally for installation on a Dell computer. The
retailer assured that it would install on any computer. It did install
and verified correctly w/Microsoft. The problem is that I cannot get the
video drivers for the onboard video to install. I have tried the drivers
that came with the motherboard, went to ECS's site and downloaded their
latest versions, and got the latest versions from VIA. Nothing works.
Any suggestions please! Is it possible that the version of XP for Dell
is incompatible with the BIOS on my motherboard? I guess one option
would be to buy an AGP video card. Have tried ECS's site and emailed
them but.....no surprise, no answer. Thanks in advance. Mike

Have you been into the BIOS and ensured that the onboard graphics are indeed
enabled?

What happens when you try to force the drivers to install..... having
expanded them into a folder, go into the Device Manager and from the Drivers
Tab, click on Update Driver and actually TELL it where you've put the
expanded files.

If you have a friend who's recently upgraded their graphics card, see if you
can borrow the old one and see whether it identifies it correctly on the AGP
slot. Remember to do this you should disable the onboard graphics from the
BIOS.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Have you been into the BIOS and ensured that the onboard graphics are indeed
> enabled?
>
> What happens when you try to force the drivers to install..... having
> expanded them into a folder, go into the Device Manager and from the Drivers
> Tab, click on Update Driver and actually TELL it where you've put the
> expanded files.
>
> If you have a friend who's recently upgraded their graphics card, see if you
> can borrow the old one and see whether it identifies it correctly on the AGP
> slot. Remember to do this you should disable the onboard graphics from the
> BIOS.

Thanks for the reply. I did try to force the install, no luck. In the
meantime I heard from the motherboard manufacturers and their advice was
to reinstall windows which I did. Things are working better now because
I am using the drivers that XP installs instead of the ones supplied
with the motherboard, but now I have 2 installations of XP on my system
as when I did the reinstall it didn't give me the option to keep or
ditch the old installation. How can I get the old one off the system
with out formatting my "C" side? And if I format the "C" side will it
affect the stuff I have on the "D" side. Sorry for so many questions!!
Still don't have the audio working but that can wait for another day.

Mike

"ml" <ml@default.com> wrote in message
> Installed WinXP Home on a computer with a ECS PM800-M2 motherboard. The
> version of XP was originally for installation on a Dell computer. The
> retailer assured that it would install on any computer. It did install and
> verified correctly w/Microsoft. The problem is that I cannot get the video
> drivers for the onboard video to install. I have tried the drivers that
> came with the motherboard, went to ECS's site and downloaded their latest
> versions, and got the latest versions from VIA. Nothing works. Any
> suggestions please! Is it possible that the version of XP for Dell is
> incompatible with the BIOS on my motherboard? I guess one option would be
> to buy an AGP video card. Have tried ECS's site and emailed them
> but.....no surprise, no answer. Thanks in advance. Mike

First problem is the retailer sold you an "illegal" version of Windows.
Sooner or later you're going to run into some sort of problem with it that's
going to be a deal-breaker (if this isn't it) and you're going to be stuck
buying another copy. I'd suggest you return it and/or report the retailer to
MS.