HDD from old computer configured as USB disk....how do I

get my new XP pro operating system to recognise all of the applications on
the USB drive?

I want to use my applications both at home and work and just move the USB
HDD around.

Even though you install applications to a USB hard drive many files
pertinent to the running of the application are automatically placed on the
Windows drive. Then there are the hundreds of registry entries that reside
in the registry of the computer where the application was installed. Moving
the USB drive to another computer will not allow those applications to run!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"groundhog1" <groundhog1rb@excite.com> wrote in message
> get my new XP pro operating system to recognise all of the applications on
> the USB drive?
>
> I want to use my applications both at home and work and just move the USB
> HDD around.

There also is a legal question, unless you buy a
server-based application, you're plan is the same as
installing the application on more than one computer. (point
to the OP)

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
in message news:%235xWv9mUFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Even though you install applications to a USB hard drive
many files
| pertinent to the running of the application are
automatically placed on the
| Windows drive. Then there are the hundreds of registry
entries that reside
| in the registry of the computer where the application was
installed. Moving
| the USB drive to another computer will not allow those
applications to run!

| --
| Regards,
|
| Richard Urban
|
| aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
|
| If you knew as much as you think you know,
| You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
knew!

| "groundhog1" <groundhog1rb@excite.com> wrote in message

| > get my new XP pro operating system to recognise all of
the applications on
| > the USB drive?
| >
| > I want to use my applications both at home and work and
just move the USB
| > HDD around.

<grin> I didn't get into that because I knew it wouldn't work!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> There also is a legal question, unless you buy a
> server-based application, you're plan is the same as
> installing the application on more than one computer. (point
> to the OP)
>

> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
> in message news:%235xWv9mUFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | Even though you install applications to a USB hard drive
> many files
> | pertinent to the running of the application are
> automatically placed on the
> | Windows drive. Then there are the hundreds of registry
> entries that reside
> | in the registry of the computer where the application was
> installed. Moving
> | the USB drive to another computer will not allow those
> applications to run!
> |
> | --
> | Regards,
> |
> | Richard Urban
> |
> | aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
> |
> | If you knew as much as you think you know,
> | You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
> knew!
> |

> | "groundhog1" <groundhog1rb@excite.com> wrote in message

> | > get my new XP pro operating system to recognise all of
> the applications on
> | > the USB drive?
> | >
> | > I want to use my applications both at home and work and
> just move the USB
> | > HDD around.

It's always something...

Thanks for the info. Now I can quit messing around with this USB drive
and just install all my stuff on my new computer.

groundhog

PS. speaking of legality. Can I legally sell my old copy of XP pro that
is resident on my old HDD? I now have two valid copies of the program..
(I now realize I shouldn't have clicked on the upgrade from XP home to Pro
on this new computer.)

sunny

groundhog1 wrote:

> It's always something...
>
> Thanks for the info. Now I can quit messing around with this USB drive
> and just install all my stuff on my new computer.
>
> groundhog
>
> PS. speaking of legality. Can I legally sell my old copy of XP pro that
> is resident on my old HDD? I now have two valid copies of the program..
> (I now realize I shouldn't have clicked on the upgrade from XP home to Pro
> on this new computer.)

You can legally sell your copy of XP Pro, provided:

- It is a Retail, not OEM, version
- You provide the original CD and Certificate of Authenticity to the
purchaser
- You delete the existing installation from your hard drive

Sunny