K7VTA-B Video problem, need a 2nd opinion

Hello,

I have been trying to reload this PC based on SOYO K7VTA-B mbd
and I need a second opinion. It reloads fine but then starts giving me
video problems on the screen. Sometimes just at the desktop,
and all the time during dvd playback. I have tested the ram with memtest86,
and tested the hdd with gwscan and ibm/hitachi diagnostics software.
I have flashed the bios with latest bios available from soyo website and
today I swapped the ati rage all in wonder video card with brand new
diamond s60 (radeon 7000).

I wiped the hdd and did a clean w2k load, then sp4, via 4-in-1 , directx, ati
drivers. And it's still giving me video problems.

Any ideas ?

In article <JfqdnfySAM3vv4bcRVn-rg@giganews.com>, user@inter.net (user110338) wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have been trying to reload this PC based on SOYO K7VTA-B mbd
>and I need a second opinion. It reloads fine but then starts giving me
>video problems on the screen. Sometimes just at the desktop,
>and all the time during dvd playback. I have tested the ram with memtest86,
>and tested the hdd with gwscan and ibm/hitachi diagnostics software.
>I have flashed the bios with latest bios available from soyo website and
>today I swapped the ati rage all in wonder video card with brand new
>diamond s60 (radeon 7000).
>
>I wiped the hdd and did a clean w2k load, then sp4, via 4-in-1 , directx, ati
>drivers. And it's still giving me video problems.
>
>Any ideas ?

I am reloading yet again and this time I will try older ATI drivers. Could it
be that the AGP 1.0 slot on this board isn't compatible with the Diamond S60
card since it is a AGP 2.0 card ?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am on my 4th clean reload...

[posted and mailed]

user@inter.net (user110338) wrote in

> In article <JfqdnfySAM3vv4bcRVn-rg@giganews.com>, user@inter.net
> (user110338) wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have been trying to reload this PC based on SOYO K7VTA-B mbd
>>and I need a second opinion. It reloads fine but then starts giving me
>>video problems on the screen. Sometimes just at the desktop,
>>and all the time during dvd playback. I have tested the ram with
>>memtest86, and tested the hdd with gwscan and ibm/hitachi diagnostics
>>software. I have flashed the bios with latest bios available from soyo
>>website and today I swapped the ati rage all in wonder video card
>>with brand new diamond s60 (radeon 7000).
>>
>>I wiped the hdd and did a clean w2k load, then sp4, via 4-in-1 ,
>>directx, ati drivers. And it's still giving me video problems.
>>
>>Any ideas ?
>

> I am reloading yet again and this time I will try older ATI drivers.
> Could it be that the AGP 1.0 slot on this board isn't compatible with
> the Diamond S60 card since it is a AGP 2.0 card ?
>
> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am on my 4th clean
> reload...

Check to see if the AGP slot is going bad. Borrow a PCI card from another
system, load the drivers, and see if that solves the problem. Also try
putting in another AGP board, if you can, and see if that solves the
problem.

--
Good luck,

Jerry Harder
remove spamnein to respond

In article <Xns9543A334F7C9Bpitomagnolia@216.77.188.18>, Jerry Harder <jhharder@bellsouthspamnein.net> wrote:
>[posted and mailed]
>
>user@inter.net (user110338) wrote in
>
>> In article <JfqdnfySAM3vv4bcRVn-rg@giganews.com>, user@inter.net
>> (user110338) wrote:
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I have been trying to reload this PC based on SOYO K7VTA-B mbd
>>>and I need a second opinion. It reloads fine but then starts giving me
>>>video problems on the screen. Sometimes just at the desktop,
>>>and all the time during dvd playback. I have tested the ram with
>>>memtest86, and tested the hdd with gwscan and ibm/hitachi diagnostics
>>>software. I have flashed the bios with latest bios available from soyo
>>>website and today I swapped the ati rage all in wonder video card
>>>with brand new diamond s60 (radeon 7000).
>>>
>>>I wiped the hdd and did a clean w2k load, then sp4, via 4-in-1 ,
>>>directx, ati drivers. And it's still giving me video problems.
>>>
>>>Any ideas ?
>>

>> I am reloading yet again and this time I will try older ATI drivers.
>> Could it be that the AGP 1.0 slot on this board isn't compatible with
>> the Diamond S60 card since it is a AGP 2.0 card ?
>>
>> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am on my 4th clean
>> reload...
>>

>Check to see if the AGP slot is going bad. Borrow a PCI card from another
>system, load the drivers, and see if that solves the problem. Also try
>putting in another AGP board, if you can, and see if that solves the
>problem.

Hello Jerry,

I just got off the phone with Soyo support and they are saying although the
agp port on this board is 1.0 3.3 volts it should work with my new board
which is diamond s60 that specifies agp 2.0. I just put the old videoboard
back in (ati rage 128 all in wonder and used ati non beta drivers)
and reloaded the pc again, this time I also tried newest VIA ac97 audio
drivers and installed directx9 Here is the latest problem, maybe you can help
?

Sound works fine, DXdiag tests run w/o any errors. Video works, and I can play
a VCD (mpeg files) but if I insert a DVD , system locks up when it tries to
play it. I can see the files through explorer just fine, but attempting to
playback a dvd system locks up, but I can still move the mouse but nothing
else.

Any ideas ?

TomC

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

I have used a K7-VTA Pro with a couple of versions of the All-In-Wonder,
both cards worked fine AFTER I downloaded and installed the latest drivers
from ATI. In once case the drivers on the CD were clearly defective.

As I recall, the DVD driver for one of the cards had a "live update" feature
that was able to download the latest ATI software. Or, use the latest
Windows Media Player for DVD playback and forget the ATI utility.

This is much more likely to be an ATI hardware or driver problem than a Soyo
problem.

TomC