CPU Clock Question

Ron

I'm building a new box with:
Mobo: SY-P4VTE
CPU: Prescott P4 2.8GHz with 1MB L2 Cache
Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)

It's not clear to me what the CPU Clock jumper settings should be. Options
are 100M, 133M, and 200M.
Will someone please help this newbie?

Thanks,
Ron L.

It would depend on which P-4 Prescott 2.8 you bought. The Prescott P-4 2.8A
is a 533MHz cpu and would require it to be set to 133MHz, the Prescott P-4
2.8E is a 800MHz cpu and would require it to be set to 200MHz. Both the A &
E models have the 1mb L2 cache.

Simply put the P-4 is a quad channel cpu, the CPU Clock works like this:

100MHz x 4 Channels = 400MHz
133MHz x 4 Channels = 533MHz
200MHz x 4 Channels = 800MHz

If you bought the boxed Intel Pentium that comes with the fan, it will list
the model (A or E) on the box, if you just bought an OEM cpu (chip only) it
will be imprinted on the top of the chip.

Hope this helps you

"Ron" <rlanning@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm building a new box with:
> Mobo: SY-P4VTE
> CPU: Prescott P4 2.8GHz with 1MB L2 Cache
> Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)
>
> It's not clear to me what the CPU Clock jumper settings should be.
> are 100M, 133M, and 200M.
> Will someone please help this newbie?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron L.

I forgot to add one other difference between the P-4 2.8 Prescott A & E
models. The A model doesn't support Hyper Threading while the E model does
support it.

"Jim B" <knuckles6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> It would depend on which P-4 Prescott 2.8 you bought. The Prescott P-4
2.8A
> is a 533MHz cpu and would require it to be set to 133MHz, the Prescott P-4
> 2.8E is a 800MHz cpu and would require it to be set to 200MHz. Both the A
&
> E models have the 1mb L2 cache.
>
> Simply put the P-4 is a quad channel cpu, the CPU Clock works like this:
>
> 100MHz x 4 Channels = 400MHz
> 133MHz x 4 Channels = 533MHz
> 200MHz x 4 Channels = 800MHz
>
> If you bought the boxed Intel Pentium that comes with the fan, it will
list
> the model (A or E) on the box, if you just bought an OEM cpu (chip only)
it
> will be imprinted on the top of the chip.
>
> Hope this helps you
>
> "Ron" <rlanning@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I'm building a new box with:
> > Mobo: SY-P4VTE
> > CPU: Prescott P4 2.8GHz with 1MB L2 Cache
> > Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)
> >
> > It's not clear to me what the CPU Clock jumper settings should be.
> > are 100M, 133M, and 200M.
> > Will someone please help this newbie?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ron L.

Ron

Thanks for your response, Jim. Big help!
Mine is a 2.8A, so it's running at 533MHz. Therefore, I'll set the jumpers
for 133MHz.

Now I have a bigger problem: After installing the new mobo, cpu, and
memory, (leaving two physical hard drives and DVD in place) I continue to
get the message "error loading operating system". BIOS does recognize the
drives OK.

I Googled that error message and tried various suggested work-arounds, but
no joy. I'm now reformatting the C: drive and will do a fresh install of
Windows XP. Hope that does it.

Thanks again,
Ron L.

> I forgot to add one other difference between the P-4 2.8 Prescott A & E
> models. The A model doesn't support Hyper Threading while the E model does
> support it.
>
> "Jim B" <knuckles6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > It would depend on which P-4 Prescott 2.8 you bought. The Prescott P-4
> 2.8A
> > is a 533MHz cpu and would require it to be set to 133MHz, the Prescott
P-4
> > 2.8E is a 800MHz cpu and would require it to be set to 200MHz. Both the
> &
> > E models have the 1mb L2 cache.
> >
> > Simply put the P-4 is a quad channel cpu, the CPU Clock works like this:
> >
> > 100MHz x 4 Channels = 400MHz
> > 133MHz x 4 Channels = 533MHz
> > 200MHz x 4 Channels = 800MHz
> >
> > If you bought the boxed Intel Pentium that comes with the fan, it will
> list
> > the model (A or E) on the box, if you just bought an OEM cpu (chip only)
> it
> > will be imprinted on the top of the chip.
> >
> > Hope this helps you
> >
> > "Ron" <rlanning@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm building a new box with:
> > > Mobo: SY-P4VTE
> > > CPU: Prescott P4 2.8GHz with 1MB L2 Cache
> > > Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)
> > >
> > > It's not clear to me what the CPU Clock jumper settings should be.
> > > are 100M, 133M, and 200M.
> > > Will someone please help this newbie?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ron L.

If you have an 800mhz Prescott, use 200. If you have a 533 Prescott, use
133. There aren't any Prescotts with a 400mhz FSB, if there were, it would
use the 100 setting.
<E>