CPU Clock Question

I'm building a new box with:
Mobo: SY-P4VTE
CPU: Prescott P4 2.8GHz with 1MB L2 Cache
Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)

It's not clear to me what the CPU Clock jumper settings should be. Options
are 100M, 133M, and 200M.
Will someone please help this newbie?

Thanks,
Ron L.
4 answers Last reply
More about clock question

    It would depend on which P-4 Prescott 2.8 you bought. The Prescott P-4 2.8A
    is a 533MHz cpu and would require it to be set to 133MHz, the Prescott P-4
    2.8E is a 800MHz cpu and would require it to be set to 200MHz. Both the A &
    E models have the 1mb L2 cache.

    Simply put the P-4 is a quad channel cpu, the CPU Clock works like this:

    100MHz x 4 Channels = 400MHz
    133MHz x 4 Channels = 533MHz
    200MHz x 4 Channels = 800MHz

    If you bought the boxed Intel Pentium that comes with the fan, it will list
    the model (A or E) on the box, if you just bought an OEM cpu (chip only) it
    will be imprinted on the top of the chip.

    Hope this helps you

    "Ron" <rlanning@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I'm building a new box with:
    > Mobo: SY-P4VTE
    > CPU: Prescott P4 2.8GHz with 1MB L2 Cache
    > Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)
    >
    > It's not clear to me what the CPU Clock jumper settings should be.
    > are 100M, 133M, and 200M.
    > Will someone please help this newbie?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ron L.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    I forgot to add one other difference between the P-4 2.8 Prescott A & E
    models. The A model doesn't support Hyper Threading while the E model does
    support it.

    "Jim B" <knuckles6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > It would depend on which P-4 Prescott 2.8 you bought. The Prescott P-4
    2.8A
    > is a 533MHz cpu and would require it to be set to 133MHz, the Prescott P-4
    > 2.8E is a 800MHz cpu and would require it to be set to 200MHz. Both the A
    &
    > E models have the 1mb L2 cache.
    >
    > Simply put the P-4 is a quad channel cpu, the CPU Clock works like this:
    >
    > 100MHz x 4 Channels = 400MHz
    > 133MHz x 4 Channels = 533MHz
    > 200MHz x 4 Channels = 800MHz
    >
    > If you bought the boxed Intel Pentium that comes with the fan, it will
    list
    > the model (A or E) on the box, if you just bought an OEM cpu (chip only)
    it
    > will be imprinted on the top of the chip.
    >
    > Hope this helps you
    >
    > "Ron" <rlanning@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm building a new box with:
    > > Mobo: SY-P4VTE
    > > CPU: Prescott P4 2.8GHz with 1MB L2 Cache
    > > Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)
    > >
    > > It's not clear to me what the CPU Clock jumper settings should be.
    > > are 100M, 133M, and 200M.
    > > Will someone please help this newbie?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ron L.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    Thanks for your response, Jim. Big help!
    Mine is a 2.8A, so it's running at 533MHz. Therefore, I'll set the jumpers
    for 133MHz.

    Now I have a bigger problem: After installing the new mobo, cpu, and
    memory, (leaving two physical hard drives and DVD in place) I continue to
    get the message "error loading operating system". BIOS does recognize the
    drives OK.

    I Googled that error message and tried various suggested work-arounds, but
    no joy. I'm now reformatting the C: drive and will do a fresh install of
    Windows XP. Hope that does it.

    Thanks again,
    Ron L.

    > I forgot to add one other difference between the P-4 2.8 Prescott A & E
    > models. The A model doesn't support Hyper Threading while the E model does
    > support it.
    >
    > "Jim B" <knuckles6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > It would depend on which P-4 Prescott 2.8 you bought. The Prescott P-4
    > 2.8A
    > > is a 533MHz cpu and would require it to be set to 133MHz, the Prescott
    P-4
    > > 2.8E is a 800MHz cpu and would require it to be set to 200MHz. Both the
    > &
    > > E models have the 1mb L2 cache.
    > >
    > > Simply put the P-4 is a quad channel cpu, the CPU Clock works like this:
    > >
    > > 100MHz x 4 Channels = 400MHz
    > > 133MHz x 4 Channels = 533MHz
    > > 200MHz x 4 Channels = 800MHz
    > >
    > > If you bought the boxed Intel Pentium that comes with the fan, it will
    > list
    > > the model (A or E) on the box, if you just bought an OEM cpu (chip only)
    > it
    > > will be imprinted on the top of the chip.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps you
    > >
    > > "Ron" <rlanning@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm building a new box with:
    > > > Mobo: SY-P4VTE
    > > > CPU: Prescott P4 2.8GHz with 1MB L2 Cache
    > > > Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)
    > > >
    > > > It's not clear to me what the CPU Clock jumper settings should be.
    > > > are 100M, 133M, and 200M.
    > > > Will someone please help this newbie?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Ron L.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    If you have an 800mhz Prescott, use 200. If you have a 533 Prescott, use
    133. There aren't any Prescotts with a 400mhz FSB, if there were, it would
    use the 100 setting.
    <E>

    "Ron" <rlanning@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I'm building a new box with:
    > Mobo: SY-P4VTE
    > CPU: Prescott P4 2.8GHz with 1MB L2 Cache
    > Memory: 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 (PC2700)
    >
    > It's not clear to me what the CPU Clock jumper settings should be.
    > are 100M, 133M, and 200M.
    > Will someone please help this newbie?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ron L.