External battery power for Jornada 54x?

July 20, 2004 1:58:21 PM

I'm going on a couple of long plane flights, and I don't think my seating
has the power outlets. I Googled and found an external battery, but at $59,
it was a bit out of my price range. Is there a reasonable way I can cobble
together some external battery power for my Jornada 548 on my own?

Ed
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 4:31:28 PM

any four cell battery holder such as a four "AA" holder will provide
power to a Jornada connector with no electronics needed... note that the
polarity at the connector is vital!!!

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
July 20, 2004 4:31:29 PM

That sounds great! I looked on eBay as Dennis suggested, and found that's
what all the external power packs used. Any thoughts on what to do about
the connector? That isn't something I can grab at Radio Shack, is it?

Ed

message news:eIW7k9nbEHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> any four cell battery holder such as a four "AA" holder will provide
> power to a Jornada connector with no electronics needed... note that the
> polarity at the connector is vital!!!

July 20, 2004 4:31:46 PM

The original external HP battery pack is sometimes for sale on Ebay. I recently picked one up recently for $3. There are battery
powered units for sale as well, usually quite cheap.

"Ed" <Ed_Millis@NOSPAM.Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23dR2FpnbEHA.3524@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I'm going on a couple of long plane flights, and I don't think my seating
> has the power outlets. I Googled and found an external battery, but at $59,
> it was a bit out of my price range. Is there a reasonable way I can cobble
> together some external battery power for my Jornada 548 on my own?
>
> Ed

July 20, 2004 4:31:47 PM

Thanks for the tip, Dennis. I looked, and there are several for about 5
bucks - with shipping, they go to almost $15! Maybe if I can't do anything
else. . .

Ed

"Dennis Langton" <dlangton@wctc.net> wrote in message
> The original external HP battery pack is sometimes for sale on Ebay. I
recently picked one up recently for $3. There are battery
> powered units for sale as well, usually quite cheap.
>
> "Ed" <Ed_Millis@NOSPAM.Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm going on a couple of long plane flights, and I don't think my
seating
> > has the power outlets. I Googled and found an external battery, but at
$59,
> > it was a bit out of my price range. Is there a reasonable way I can
cobble
> > together some external battery power for my Jornada 548 on my own?
> >
> > Ed

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 10:02:00 PM

Radio shacks have a number of four cell holders... personally, would
suggest a 4 "C" cell holder with a long enough cord so that it could be
placed in the seat pouch... should be more than enough for a trans
oceanic trip.

Beverly Howard
July 20, 2004 10:07:57 PM

Ed wrote:
> That sounds great! I looked on eBay as Dennis suggested, and found that's
> what all the external power packs used. Any thoughts on what to do about
> the connector? That isn't something I can grab at Radio Shack, is it?
>
> Ed
>
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:eIW7k9nbEHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
>>any four cell battery holder such as a four "AA" holder will provide
>>power to a Jornada connector with no electronics needed... note that the
>>polarity at the connector is vital!!!
>>
>>Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Recently, Radio Shack has had a closeout on Jornada power cables.
They wanted $3.99 for a wire with the connector you want. Still too
steep for me. I'm waiting for it to go to 99cents.

The problem I have with the HP connector is that it sticks straight out.
Gets in the way, easily stressed, can't put it in my pocket to play
mp3s. Need to find a right-angle connector that doesn't stick out
so far.

mike

--
Return address is VALID.