KT-600 w/ Athlon-XP 3200+ voltage issues

Craig

I just upgraded my PC to a Soyo KT-600 Dragon Plus v2.0 with an AMD
Athlon-XP 3200+ CPU. I also bumped my PSU up to 400W. Unfortunately,
it has zero stability. If I go ten minutes without a crash or
spontaneous reboot, I'm lucky.

The Soyo Hardware Monitor (Smartguardian) shows no problems with
temperatures, but three of my voltage values are in red:

+3.3V 2.67V
DDR 2.92V
AGP 1.13V

If I'm reading it right, 3.3V and AGP are low, and DDR is high. I've
tried disconnecting drives and removing add-on cards, swapping the
DIMM's, and changing lots of memory speed settings in the BIOS.
Nothing fixes these numbers.

First off, could these numbers be the cause of my stability problems?
I don't know the thresholds for them. Secondly, what can I do to
normalize them? Is the PSU maybe bad? That's unlikely since this is
the second one (the first was a 300W) that's done the same thing. The
motherboard? Could it even be the CPU?

I'm stumped. Any direction here is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

craig@greyfell.net wrote in message news:<dkaqh0tbernusu7bc9dtqqvbu2v97p118h@4ax.com>...
> I just upgraded my PC to a Soyo KT-600 Dragon Plus v2.0 with an AMD
> Athlon-XP 3200+ CPU. I also bumped my PSU up to 400W. Unfortunately,
> it has zero stability. If I go ten minutes without a crash or
> spontaneous reboot, I'm lucky.
>
> The Soyo Hardware Monitor (Smartguardian) shows no problems with
> temperatures, but three of my voltage values are in red:
>
> +3.3V 2.67V
> DDR 2.92V
> AGP 1.13V
>
> If I'm reading it right, 3.3V and AGP are low, and DDR is high. I've
> tried disconnecting drives and removing add-on cards, swapping the
> DIMM's, and changing lots of memory speed settings in the BIOS.
> Nothing fixes these numbers.
>
> First off, could these numbers be the cause of my stability problems?
> I don't know the thresholds for them. Secondly, what can I do to
> normalize them? Is the PSU maybe bad? That's unlikely since this is
> the second one (the first was a 300W) that's done the same thing. The
> motherboard? Could it even be the CPU?
>
> I'm stumped. Any direction here is greatly appreciated.

Bad board, I had a KT400 Dragon that reported voltages that were
close to what they were supposed to be. I worked with several odd
issues. It is GONE. I now am running an Abit KV7, all is well.
Dave

craig@greyfell.net wrote in message news:<dkaqh0tbernusu7bc9dtqqvbu2v97p118h@4ax.com>...
> I just upgraded my PC to a Soyo KT-600 Dragon Plus v2.0 with an AMD
> Athlon-XP 3200+ CPU. I also bumped my PSU up to 400W. Unfortunately,
> it has zero stability. If I go ten minutes without a crash or
> spontaneous reboot, I'm lucky.
>
> The Soyo Hardware Monitor (Smartguardian) shows no problems with
> temperatures, but three of my voltage values are in red:
>
> +3.3V 2.67V
> DDR 2.92V
> AGP 1.13V
>
> If I'm reading it right, 3.3V and AGP are low, and DDR is high. I've
> tried disconnecting drives and removing add-on cards, swapping the
> DIMM's, and changing lots of memory speed settings in the BIOS.
> Nothing fixes these numbers.
>
> First off, could these numbers be the cause of my stability problems?
> I don't know the thresholds for them. Secondly, what can I do to
> normalize them? Is the PSU maybe bad? That's unlikely since this is
> the second one (the first was a 300W) that's done the same thing. The
> motherboard? Could it even be the CPU?
>
> I'm stumped. Any direction here is greatly appreciated.

If both power supplies are showing the same voltage readings, then the
regulators on the KT600 have a problem. The 3.3v line is way too low for
normal operation as is the AGP voltage.

Craig

On 14 Aug 2004 08:50:36 -0700, acajka@suscom.net (acajka) wrote:

>If both power supplies are showing the same voltage readings, then the
>regulators on the KT600 have a problem. The 3.3v line is way too low for
>normal operation as is the AGP voltage.

Both power supplies do show the same. I should mention, just for
testing I installed my old Athlon-XP 1800+ CPU on the new motherboard,
and it showed the same voltage irregularities.

I've found that if I set the CPU frequency to anything other than 200
Mhz (the 400 Mhz FSB setting), the system runs stable, but the voltage
settings remain low. Is it possible that at lower FSB, the system is
simply less susceptible to low voltage on the +3.3V line? I'm not sure
what in the system actually gets its power on that feed. I thought the
CPU pulled from the +12V.

Since the CPU is solid at lower speeds, I'm wondering if it might be a
problem, too. I have a feeling Multiwave is going to balk if I call
and tell them that both the motherboard and CPU they sent me are bad.
Could the motherboard be the sole reason that the CPU fails at higher
FSB, or am I looking at two bad components and two separate issues?

> Both power supplies do show the same. I should mention, just for
> testing I installed my old Athlon-XP 1800+ CPU on the new motherboard,
> and it showed the same voltage irregularities.

Since 2 different cpu chips and power supplies gave the same results,
then the board is definitely the problem. Either the regulators on the
KT600 board are malfunctioning, or the circuitry that monitors the on
board system voltages is not working correctly. Time to RMA the board.

Andy

TRENDING THREADS