system reset due to over-clock setting

When I start up my computer I have been getting this messege each time.

WARNING! SYSTEM HAD TO RESET DUE TO OVER - CLOCK SETTING.

PLEASE RE- ENTER CPU SETTINGS IN THE CMOS SETUP AND REMEMBER TO SAVE BEFORE
QUIT.

What does this mean, how do you fix it, and why is it happening? I am not
understanding any of this. PLEASE HELP!

Shannon wrote:

> When I start up my computer I have been getting this messege each time.
>
> WARNING! SYSTEM HAD TO RESET DUE TO OVER - CLOCK SETTING.
>
> PLEASE RE- ENTER CPU SETTINGS IN THE CMOS SETUP AND REMEMBER TO SAVE BEFORE
> QUIT.
>
> What does this mean, how do you fix it, and why is it happening? I am not
> understanding any of this. PLEASE HELP!

As mentioned by the computer system, the solution means
re-setting the System Bios configuration to its "normal",
or default, settings. For further information on how to
do it, read the motherboard manual or visit the website for
the maker of the motherboard.

Shannon, does anybody else use the Computer and that might be overclocking
the CPU? If your Computer came with
a Manual then I would read the portion that talks about the Bios and CPU
Frequency Settings. Sometimes I get the
message and I don't overclock. All I do is usually hit Delete Button
which will get you into the Bios and then Exit.

"Shannon" <Shannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I start up my computer I have been getting this messege each time.
>
> WARNING! SYSTEM HAD TO RESET DUE TO OVER - CLOCK SETTING.
>
> PLEASE RE- ENTER CPU SETTINGS IN THE CMOS SETUP AND REMEMBER TO SAVE
> BEFORE
> QUIT.
>
> What does this mean, how do you fix it, and why is it happening? I am not
> understanding any of this. PLEASE HELP!

i do not have a manual, i've checked everything for one but i found a drivers
and utilities cd.
**auto installation
**see README.TXT file
**Contain User's Manual

so when i run the cd will it automatically set up installation cause i don't
need to do that? I'm guessing the manual is on the CD but i'm not sure if
that's what it means.

WHAT IS OVER CLOCKING ANYWAYS??????????

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME THIS IS REALLY FRUSTERATING SPECIALLY WHEN I DON'T
KNOW WHAT ALL OF THIS MEANS!

Shannon wrote:

> WHAT IS OVER CLOCKING ANYWAYS??????????

In simple terms, over-clocking means speeding up the CPU to
run faster than specified. Processor, or CPU, speed is usually
pre-determined by engineer tests. To guarantee this speed, the
CPU manufacturer specifies/designs a multiplier that works
in conjunction with the FSB, or Front-Side Bus, speed of the
computer. If the FSB clock is set to run at 400 MHz, then a
multiplier of 8.0 will result in a CPU speed of 3,200 MHz (or
3.2 GHz). If the FSB clock were enhanced to run at 440 MHz,
then the CPU will be "over-clocked" to 3.52 GHz (or 8.0 times
440 MHz.) Get it? Good...but over-clocking may also result in
its own set of issues, including over-heating of the CPU, using
higher Vcore voltages, instability throughout the FSB and other
buses within the computer, e.g., PCI, video, and so on. This
triggers the error report generated by the computer.

Shannon, if this is all Greek to you then maybe you need someone whose
familiar with Computers to look at it.
If the User Manual is on the CD then open it up and see if you can get
to the Bios Section.
"Shannon" <Shannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I start up my computer I have been getting this messege each time.
>
> WARNING! SYSTEM HAD TO RESET DUE TO OVER - CLOCK SETTING.
>
> PLEASE RE- ENTER CPU SETTINGS IN THE CMOS SETUP AND REMEMBER TO SAVE
> BEFORE
> QUIT.
>
> What does this mean, how do you fix it, and why is it happening? I am not
> understanding any of this. PLEASE HELP!

TRENDING THREADS