both cd rom drives listed as unknown devices

jayhawker

I've been reading through the posts here and found a few people with similar
situations but no responses thus far. I have a generic cd-rom drive model
cmd5611 and a Phillips cdrw model pcrw2010. I started experiencing problems
about a month ago when I went to switch a disc out of one of the drives. The
drive was still there under My Computer but I was unable to access the data.
The same thing happened when I tried the other drive. I restarted my
computer and I was able to access the disks in both drives, but when I tried
to switch disks again, I ran into the same problem. After hours of
tinkering, I discovered that both drives were listed as unknown devices under
the device manager. I unintalled them then restarted hoping xp would correct
the problem. Upon the restart, windows found both of the drives, but once
again listed them as unknown devices. I'm assuming this is my problem, but I
need some help please.

Thanks

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Boot into Safe Mode. open Device Manager, remove ALL instances you find of
the problem devices, reboot, and let Windows re-detect.