Thinkpad R40 and Wireless

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 5, 2005 6:27:29 PM

I have an R40 Dual Boot system - win xp pro sp2 and win98se. I am
connected wirelessy to a Belkin 54g router router.

When I check my speeds in win98se, they are as they should be. However,
when I check them in win xp (latest wireless drivers), they are reduced
by about 25% (4200mbs vs. 3400mps).

Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks,
Harvey

More about : thinkpad r40 wireless

April 5, 2005 6:27:30 PM

Harvey Gratt wrote:

> I have an R40 Dual Boot system - win xp pro sp2 and win98se. I am
> connected wirelessy to a Belkin 54g router router.
>
> When I check my speeds in win98se, they are as they should be.
> However, when I check them in win xp (latest wireless drivers), they
> are reduced by about 25% (4200mbs vs. 3400mps).
>
> Any ideas as to what is happening?
>
> Thanks,
> Harvey

What wireless connectivity software are you using? XP's wireless manager
or IBM's Access IBM? I remember when I updated my X31 Thinkpad to SP2
there was a note on the IBM website that Access IBM would not work
properly with SP2 and to use Windows' manager instead. IBM may have
updated their Access IBM by now.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke wrote:

> Harvey Gratt wrote:
>

>>I have an R40 Dual Boot system - win xp pro sp2 and win98se. I am
>>connected wirelessy to a Belkin 54g router router.
>>
>>When I check my speeds in win98se, they are as they should be.
>>However, when I check them in win xp (latest wireless drivers), they
>>are reduced by about 25% (4200mbs vs. 3400mps).
>>
>>Any ideas as to what is happening?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Harvey
>

> What wireless connectivity software are you using? XP's wireless manager
> or IBM's Access IBM? I remember when I updated my X31 Thinkpad to SP2
> there was a note on the IBM website that Access IBM would not work
> properly with SP2 and to use Windows' manager instead. IBM may have
> updated their Access IBM by now.
>
> Malke

Right now, I'm using the IBM Access Connections software. but I did try
using the xp wireless zero configuration stuff with the same results.

In fact, when I used the Belkin 54G pc card, I used its software and
still had the 25% reduction in speed. Very strange.

Harvey
Related resources
April 5, 2005 9:51:58 PM

Harvey Gratt wrote:

> Malke wrote:
>
>> Harvey Gratt wrote:
>>

>>>I have an R40 Dual Boot system - win xp pro sp2 and win98se. I am
>>>connected wirelessy to a Belkin 54g router router.
>>>
>>>When I check my speeds in win98se, they are as they should be.
>>>However, when I check them in win xp (latest wireless drivers), they
>>>are reduced by about 25% (4200mbs vs. 3400mps).
>>>
>>>Any ideas as to what is happening?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Harvey
>>

>> What wireless connectivity software are you using? XP's wireless
>> manager or IBM's Access IBM? I remember when I updated my X31
>> Thinkpad to SP2 there was a note on the IBM website that Access IBM
>> would not work properly with SP2 and to use Windows' manager instead.
>> IBM may have updated their Access IBM by now.
>>
>> Malke
>

> Right now, I'm using the IBM Access Connections software. but I did
> try using the xp wireless zero configuration stuff with the same
> results.
>
> In fact, when I used the Belkin 54G pc card, I used its software and
> still had the 25% reduction in speed. Very strange.
>
> Harvey

I'm sorry, Harvey but I don't know. Try updating the IBM Access if you
haven't already. It certainly has to be a driver or connection manager
issue since the card performs well in Win98. Since you've got the most
recent drivers for the Belkin, you're pretty well stuck on that front.
Maybe someone else has a better answer. I'm sorry I didn't have the
solution for you.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com
In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
The world is diminished without him.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 6, 2005 12:07:18 AM

Malke wrote:

> Harvey Gratt wrote:
>

>>Malke wrote:

>>>What wireless connectivity software are you using? XP's wireless
>>>manager or IBM's Access IBM? I remember when I updated my X31
>>>Thinkpad to SP2 there was a note on the IBM website that Access IBM
>>>would not work properly with SP2 and to use Windows' manager instead.
>>>IBM may have updated their Access IBM by now.
>>>
>>>Malke
>>

>>Right now, I'm using the IBM Access Connections software. but I did
>>try using the xp wireless zero configuration stuff with the same
>>results.
>>
>>In fact, when I used the Belkin 54G pc card, I used its software and
>>still had the 25% reduction in speed. Very strange.
>>
>>Harvey
>

> I'm sorry, Harvey but I don't know. Try updating the IBM Access if you
> haven't already. It certainly has to be a driver or connection manager
> issue since the card performs well in Win98. Since you've got the most
> recent drivers for the Belkin, you're pretty well stuck on that front.
> Maybe someone else has a better answer. I'm sorry I didn't have the
> solution for you.
>
> Malke

Thanks for trying. This the kind of problem that someone else has to
have also experienced in order to provide a solution. Maybe some kind of
xp/thinkpad conflict - who knows.

Harvey
April 6, 2005 12:22:20 AM

Harvey Gratt wrote:

> Thanks for trying. This the kind of problem that someone else has to
> have also experienced in order to provide a solution. Maybe some kind
> of xp/thinkpad conflict - who knows.
>
> Harvey

Well, I don't think it is a Thinkpad issue per se unless your model has
specific problems. My X31 doesn't have any wireless problems, but then
I have the built-in IBM a/b/g wireless. Maybe you should try a
different card in XP; maybe Belkin isn't that good with XP.

In any case, good luck and I hope you solve it.

Malke
--
!