Can't install Win XP on Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus motherboard

Hello everyone, any assistance greatly appreciated on the following
issue..

System reboots when it starts to copy files during win xp intallation
(when the installation percentage appears).

Intallation sequence of events
1. Boot from Windows XP CD
2. Install Via ATA/IDE and Raid latest drivers from soyo website (by
pressing 'F6')
2. Create a 30 gig partition and format NTFS
3. Select to install in partition just created
4. A 'Starting Windows' shows at bottom of screen
5. 'Copying files' shows at bottom of screen and a percentage bar
shows in middle

This is the step (5) where it reboots. I've tried a few times and the
most it ever went up to was 17% on the percentage bar before it
rebooted.

The cpu temperature is fine, at 55 degrees celcius at most. I've tried
disabling the antiburn feature of the mb and NO luck.

KT600 Dragon Plus
Athlon XP 2000+
Ultra 512MB PC3200
XFX GeForceFX 5600XT 128MB DDR 8X AGP
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB EIDE drive
Standard floppy
Standard DVD-ROM

The odd thing is that I was able to install windows 2000 without a
problem. And it ran stable for a few days but I really want Windows XP
in there. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

sbenites@verizon.net (Seben) wrote in message news:<6fdfab3.0408190854.1c8e455@posting.google.com>...

With the single Seagate EIDE have it connected to IDE 1 set the drive
to cable select and make sure its connected to the end of the ribbon
cable. Put your DVD drive on IDE 2 have it set to master and connect
it to the end of it's ribbon cable.

Enter the motherboard BIOS and make sure it's detecting both drives.
Then set your boot order to:

#1 CD-Rom
#2 HDD-0
#3 Floppy

Reboot the computer with your WinXP in the drive

As it starts up DO NOT HIT F6, there is no need to install the RAID
driver if your not going to use the controller. This driver is only
needed for SATA hard drives connected to the controller.

XP is most likely hanging during setup because it's looking for
something connected when there is nothing connected to it.

On the first reboot you will see the "Hit any key to boot from CD"
message come back up. DO NOT HIT ANY KEY it will continue and boot
from your hard drive.

Once WinXP is up and running then install your VIA 4 in 1 drivers,
Sound drivers and any other that you may need. But you do not need the
VIA RAID controller driver at all with the setup you listed.

Hope this helps you
> Hello everyone, any assistance greatly appreciated on the following
> issue..
>
> System reboots when it starts to copy files during win xp intallation
> (when the installation percentage appears).
>
> Intallation sequence of events
> 1. Boot from Windows XP CD
> 2. Install Via ATA/IDE and Raid latest drivers from soyo website (by
> pressing 'F6')
> 2. Create a 30 gig partition and format NTFS
> 3. Select to install in partition just created
> 4. A 'Starting Windows' shows at bottom of screen
> 5. 'Copying files' shows at bottom of screen and a percentage bar
> shows in middle
>
> This is the step (5) where it reboots. I've tried a few times and the
> most it ever went up to was 17% on the percentage bar before it
> rebooted.
>
> The cpu temperature is fine, at 55 degrees celcius at most. I've tried
> disabling the antiburn feature of the mb and NO luck.
>
> KT600 Dragon Plus
> Athlon XP 2000+
> Ultra 512MB PC3200
> XFX GeForceFX 5600XT 128MB DDR 8X AGP
> Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB EIDE drive
> Standard floppy
> Standard DVD-ROM
>
> The odd thing is that I was able to install windows 2000 without a
> problem. And it ran stable for a few days but I really want Windows XP
> in there. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

are you using the special hard drive cable?
silly question I guess!
later,
dave

"Jim B." <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> sbenites@verizon.net (Seben) wrote in message
>
> With the single Seagate EIDE have it connected to IDE 1 set the drive
> to cable select and make sure its connected to the end of the ribbon
> cable. Put your DVD drive on IDE 2 have it set to master and connect
> it to the end of it's ribbon cable.
>
> Enter the motherboard BIOS and make sure it's detecting both drives.
> Then set your boot order to:
>
> #1 CD-Rom
> #2 HDD-0
> #3 Floppy
>
> Reboot the computer with your WinXP in the drive
>
> As it starts up DO NOT HIT F6, there is no need to install the RAID
> driver if your not going to use the controller. This driver is only
> needed for SATA hard drives connected to the controller.
>
> XP is most likely hanging during setup because it's looking for
> something connected when there is nothing connected to it.
>
> On the first reboot you will see the "Hit any key to boot from CD"
> message come back up. DO NOT HIT ANY KEY it will continue and boot
> from your hard drive.
>
> Once WinXP is up and running then install your VIA 4 in 1 drivers,
> Sound drivers and any other that you may need. But you do not need the
> VIA RAID controller driver at all with the setup you listed.
>
> Hope this helps you
>> Hello everyone, any assistance greatly appreciated on the following
>> issue..
>>
>> System reboots when it starts to copy files during win xp intallation
>> (when the installation percentage appears).
>>
>> Intallation sequence of events
>> 1. Boot from Windows XP CD
>> 2. Install Via ATA/IDE and Raid latest drivers from soyo website (by
>> pressing 'F6')
>> 2. Create a 30 gig partition and format NTFS
>> 3. Select to install in partition just created
>> 4. A 'Starting Windows' shows at bottom of screen
>> 5. 'Copying files' shows at bottom of screen and a percentage bar
>> shows in middle
>>
>> This is the step (5) where it reboots. I've tried a few times and the
>> most it ever went up to was 17% on the percentage bar before it
>> rebooted.
>>
>> The cpu temperature is fine, at 55 degrees celcius at most. I've tried
>> disabling the antiburn feature of the mb and NO luck.
>>
>> KT600 Dragon Plus
>> Athlon XP 2000+
>> Ultra 512MB PC3200
>> XFX GeForceFX 5600XT 128MB DDR 8X AGP
>> Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB EIDE drive
>> Standard floppy
>> Standard DVD-ROM
>>
>> The odd thing is that I was able to install windows 2000 without a
>> problem. And it ran stable for a few days but I really want Windows XP
>> in there. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"dave AKA vwdoc1" <vwdoc1@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<3clWc.5792$Y94.1471@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...
> are you using the special hard drive cable?
> silly question I guess!
> later,
> dave
>
> "Jim B." <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > sbenites@verizon.net (Seben) wrote in message
> >
> > With the single Seagate EIDE have it connected to IDE 1 set the drive
> > to cable select and make sure its connected to the end of the ribbon
> > cable. Put your DVD drive on IDE 2 have it set to master and connect
> > it to the end of it's ribbon cable.
> >
> > Enter the motherboard BIOS and make sure it's detecting both drives.
> > Then set your boot order to:
> >
> > #1 CD-Rom
> > #2 HDD-0
> > #3 Floppy
> >
> > Reboot the computer with your WinXP in the drive
> >
> > As it starts up DO NOT HIT F6, there is no need to install the RAID
> > driver if your not going to use the controller. This driver is only
> > needed for SATA hard drives connected to the controller.
> >
> > XP is most likely hanging during setup because it's looking for
> > something connected when there is nothing connected to it.
> >
> > On the first reboot you will see the "Hit any key to boot from CD"
> > message come back up. DO NOT HIT ANY KEY it will continue and boot
> > from your hard drive.
> >
> > Once WinXP is up and running then install your VIA 4 in 1 drivers,
> > Sound drivers and any other that you may need. But you do not need the
> > VIA RAID controller driver at all with the setup you listed.
> >
> > Hope this helps you
> >> Hello everyone, any assistance greatly appreciated on the following
> >> issue..
> >>
> >> System reboots when it starts to copy files during win xp intallation
> >> (when the installation percentage appears).
> >>
> >> Intallation sequence of events
> >> 1. Boot from Windows XP CD
> >> 2. Install Via ATA/IDE and Raid latest drivers from soyo website (by
> >> pressing 'F6')
> >> 2. Create a 30 gig partition and format NTFS
> >> 3. Select to install in partition just created
> >> 4. A 'Starting Windows' shows at bottom of screen
> >> 5. 'Copying files' shows at bottom of screen and a percentage bar
> >> shows in middle
> >>
> >> This is the step (5) where it reboots. I've tried a few times and the
> >> most it ever went up to was 17% on the percentage bar before it
> >> rebooted.
> >>
> >> The cpu temperature is fine, at 55 degrees celcius at most. I've tried
> >> disabling the antiburn feature of the mb and NO luck.
> >>
> >> KT600 Dragon Plus
> >> Athlon XP 2000+
> >> Ultra 512MB PC3200
> >> XFX GeForceFX 5600XT 128MB DDR 8X AGP
> >> Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB EIDE drive
> >> Standard floppy
> >> Standard DVD-ROM
> >>
> >> The odd thing is that I was able to install windows 2000 without a
> >> problem. And it ran stable for a few days but I really want Windows XP
> >> in there. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Use only the 40 wire ribbon cable for the dvd unit.
Dave

dvnj@msn.com (dave) wrote in message news:<4767d5a9.0408231607.56ba223f@posting.google.com>...
> "dave AKA vwdoc1" <vwdoc1@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<3clWc.5792$Y94.1471@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...

If the hard drive is an EIDE drive like he said in the original post
he has to use the 40 wire 80 pin cables for both drives. If the drive
is an SATA drive then he needs to use the red SATA drive cable and he
will need the following files and folders copied from the downloaded
driver zip file he got from the SOYO web site on a floppy disk for
installation during XP setup

He will need the PIDE\WinXP folder, the RAID\WinXP folder and the
TXTsetup.oem file all on a floppy disk. These are the only folders and
file he needs on the floppy disk. He does not want all of the
downloaded files on the floppy, only those I listed.

Then on bootup he should have the floppy disk in the drive and hit F-6
when asked. He needs to leave the disk in the drive it will ask him
later in the installation to his the "S" key to install third party
raid or scsi controller drivers. When he hits the "S" key it will then
read the disk and he can select the driver he want's, which for a
single drive would be the PIDE driver. After doing so it will come up
with the screen asking again if he wants to install another third
party raid or scsi controller driver, this time he should hit "enter"
to continue on with the installation of XP. He can take the disk out
after this.

> > are you using the special hard drive cable?
> > silly question I guess!
> > later,
> > dave
> >
> > "Jim B." <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > > sbenites@verizon.net (Seben) wrote in message
> > >
> > > With the single Seagate EIDE have it connected to IDE 1 set the drive
> > > to cable select and make sure its connected to the end of the ribbon
> > > cable. Put your DVD drive on IDE 2 have it set to master and connect
> > > it to the end of it's ribbon cable.
> > >
> > > Enter the motherboard BIOS and make sure it's detecting both drives.
> > > Then set your boot order to:
> > >
> > > #1 CD-Rom
> > > #2 HDD-0
> > > #3 Floppy
> > >
> > > Reboot the computer with your WinXP in the drive
> > >
> > > As it starts up DO NOT HIT F6, there is no need to install the RAID
> > > driver if your not going to use the controller. This driver is only
> > > needed for SATA hard drives connected to the controller.
> > >
> > > XP is most likely hanging during setup because it's looking for
> > > something connected when there is nothing connected to it.
> > >
> > > On the first reboot you will see the "Hit any key to boot from CD"
> > > message come back up. DO NOT HIT ANY KEY it will continue and boot
> > > from your hard drive.
> > >
> > > Once WinXP is up and running then install your VIA 4 in 1 drivers,
> > > Sound drivers and any other that you may need. But you do not need the
> > > VIA RAID controller driver at all with the setup you listed.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps you

> Use only the 40 wire ribbon cable for the dvd unit.
> Dave

Thanks all for your reply.

Yes, I'm using the 80 pin IDE cable. ATA100 HD attached to the end of
the cable (black connector) and using IDE1 on mb. CD-ROM using IDE2
with another 80 IDE cable and connected to black connector at end of
cable. BIOS detects both devices correctly.

I've tried both enable/disable the SATA Raid controller in BIOS.
negative.

I tried the procedure listed below, only installing the PIDE driver
and same negative result.

I've tried using different HALs at install (F5) and none helped.

Also, I've tried different HDs and same result.

I am clueless as to what is causing this..

Installation gets to the point where it starts to copy files and then
poof system reboots without finishing copying files, so it starts
again. This is the farthest it gets. Sometimes I get different STOP
errors.

Is it possible that the RAM is bad or incompatible?

what is a goog RAM testing utility I can use?

Thanks.

j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net (Jim B.) wrote in message news:<a182f0ed.0408240926.9394511@posting.google.com>...
> dvnj@msn.com (dave) wrote in message news:<4767d5a9.0408231607.56ba223f@posting.google.com>...
> > "dave AKA vwdoc1" <vwdoc1@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<3clWc.5792$Y94.1471@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...
>
> If the hard drive is an EIDE drive like he said in the original post
> he has to use the 40 wire 80 pin cables for both drives. If the drive
> is an SATA drive then he needs to use the red SATA drive cable and he
> will need the following files and folders copied from the downloaded
> driver zip file he got from the SOYO web site on a floppy disk for
> installation during XP setup
>
> He will need the PIDE\WinXP folder, the RAID\WinXP folder and the
> TXTsetup.oem file all on a floppy disk. These are the only folders and
> file he needs on the floppy disk. He does not want all of the
> downloaded files on the floppy, only those I listed.
>
> Then on bootup he should have the floppy disk in the drive and hit F-6
> when asked. He needs to leave the disk in the drive it will ask him
> later in the installation to his the "S" key to install third party
> raid or scsi controller drivers. When he hits the "S" key it will then
> read the disk and he can select the driver he want's, which for a
> single drive would be the PIDE driver. After doing so it will come up
> with the screen asking again if he wants to install another third
> party raid or scsi controller driver, this time he should hit "enter"
> to continue on with the installation of XP. He can take the disk out
> after this.
>
> > > are you using the special hard drive cable?
> > > silly question I guess!
> > > later,
> > > dave
> > >
> > > "Jim B." <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> > Use only the 40 wire ribbon cable for the dvd unit.
> > Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Your cd-rom needs a 40 wire cable. The 80 wire is not compatable with the device.
Dave

sbenites@verizon.net (Seben) wrote in message news:<6fdfab3.0408310941.52c49636@posting.google.com>...
> Thanks all for your reply.
>
> Yes, I'm using the 80 pin IDE cable. ATA100 HD attached to the end of
> the cable (black connector) and using IDE1 on mb. CD-ROM using IDE2
> with another 80 IDE cable and connected to black connector at end of
> cable. BIOS detects both devices correctly.
>
> I've tried both enable/disable the SATA Raid controller in BIOS.
> negative.
>
> I tried the procedure listed below, only installing the PIDE driver
> and same negative result.
>
> I've tried using different HALs at install (F5) and none helped.
>
> Also, I've tried different HDs and same result.
>
> I am clueless as to what is causing this..
>
> Installation gets to the point where it starts to copy files and then
> poof system reboots without finishing copying files, so it starts
> again. This is the farthest it gets. Sometimes I get different STOP
> errors.
>
> Is it possible that the RAM is bad or incompatible?
>
> what is a goog RAM testing utility I can use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net (Jim B.) wrote in message news:<a182f0ed.0408240926.9394511@posting.google.com>...
> > dvnj@msn.com (dave) wrote in message news:<4767d5a9.0408231607.56ba223f@posting.google.com>...
> > > "dave AKA vwdoc1" <vwdoc1@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<3clWc.5792$Y94.1471@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...
> >
> > If the hard drive is an EIDE drive like he said in the original post
> > he has to use the 40 wire 80 pin cables for both drives. If the drive
> > is an SATA drive then he needs to use the red SATA drive cable and he
> > will need the following files and folders copied from the downloaded
> > driver zip file he got from the SOYO web site on a floppy disk for
> > installation during XP setup
> >
> > He will need the PIDE\WinXP folder, the RAID\WinXP folder and the
> > TXTsetup.oem file all on a floppy disk. These are the only folders and
> > file he needs on the floppy disk. He does not want all of the
> > downloaded files on the floppy, only those I listed.
> >
> > Then on bootup he should have the floppy disk in the drive and hit F-6
> > when asked. He needs to leave the disk in the drive it will ask him
> > later in the installation to his the "S" key to install third party
> > raid or scsi controller drivers. When he hits the "S" key it will then
> > read the disk and he can select the driver he want's, which for a
> > single drive would be the PIDE driver. After doing so it will come up
> > with the screen asking again if he wants to install another third
> > party raid or scsi controller driver, this time he should hit "enter"
> > to continue on with the installation of XP. He can take the disk out
> > after this.

> > > Use only the 40 wire ribbon cable for the dvd unit.
> > > Dave

Ed

On 31 Aug 2004 16:04:51 -0700, dvnj@msn.com (dave) wrote:

>Your cd-rom needs a 40 wire cable. The 80 wire is not compatable with the device.
>Dave

Hmmmm? I use a 80pin IDE cables on all my (AMD XP/64) dvdrw/cdrws, never
had a problem, don't see why you would. URL?

Ed

Dave,

There all 40 pin but 80 conductor cables these days. You can't even buy the
old style 40 pin connectors anymore. When they went to EIDE controllers the
plug changed. He's using the correct cable on his CD drive

"dave" <dvnj@msn.com> wrote in message
> Your cd-rom needs a 40 wire cable. The 80 wire is not compatable with the
> device.
> Dave
>

> sbenites@verizon.net (Seben) wrote in message
>> Thanks all for your reply.
>>
>> Yes, I'm using the 80 pin IDE cable. ATA100 HD attached to the end of
>> the cable (black connector) and using IDE1 on mb. CD-ROM using IDE2
>> with another 80 IDE cable and connected to black connector at end of
>> cable. BIOS detects both devices correctly.
>>
>> I've tried both enable/disable the SATA Raid controller in BIOS.
>> negative.
>>
>> I tried the procedure listed below, only installing the PIDE driver
>> and same negative result.
>>
>> I've tried using different HALs at install (F5) and none helped.
>>
>> Also, I've tried different HDs and same result.
>>
>> I am clueless as to what is causing this..
>>
>> Installation gets to the point where it starts to copy files and then
>> poof system reboots without finishing copying files, so it starts
>> again. This is the farthest it gets. Sometimes I get different STOP
>> errors.
>>
>> Is it possible that the RAM is bad or incompatible?
>>
>> what is a goog RAM testing utility I can use?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net (Jim B.) wrote in message
>> > dvnj@msn.com (dave) wrote in message
>> >
>> > If the hard drive is an EIDE drive like he said in the original post
>> > he has to use the 40 wire 80 pin cables for both drives. If the drive
>> > is an SATA drive then he needs to use the red SATA drive cable and he
>> > will need the following files and folders copied from the downloaded
>> > driver zip file he got from the SOYO web site on a floppy disk for
>> > installation during XP setup
>> >
>> > He will need the PIDE\WinXP folder, the RAID\WinXP folder and the
>> > TXTsetup.oem file all on a floppy disk. These are the only folders and
>> > file he needs on the floppy disk. He does not want all of the
>> > downloaded files on the floppy, only those I listed.
>> >
>> > Then on bootup he should have the floppy disk in the drive and hit F-6
>> > when asked. He needs to leave the disk in the drive it will ask him
>> > later in the installation to his the "S" key to install third party
>> > raid or scsi controller drivers. When he hits the "S" key it will then
>> > read the disk and he can select the driver he want's, which for a
>> > single drive would be the PIDE driver. After doing so it will come up
>> > with the screen asking again if he wants to install another third
>> > party raid or scsi controller driver, this time he should hit "enter"
>> > to continue on with the installation of XP. He can take the disk out
>> > after this.

First with the hard drive on IDE1 your Raid controller is unneeded and
should be set to disabled. Your first boot device should be CD-ROM and
second boot device set to HDD-0, third boot device set to Floppy.

You can download and run Memtest on your computer, it's a free download and
you just put it on a floppy disk and let your computer boot to the floppy.
Let it run for a few hours and see if it comes up with errors. It's not
uncommon to find bad memory. One of the problems related to memory errors is
problems writing and reading files from a hard disk.

"Seben" <sbenites@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Thanks all for your reply.
>
> Yes, I'm using the 80 pin IDE cable. ATA100 HD attached to the end of
> the cable (black connector) and using IDE1 on mb. CD-ROM using IDE2
> with another 80 IDE cable and connected to black connector at end of
> cable. BIOS detects both devices correctly.
>
> I've tried both enable/disable the SATA Raid controller in BIOS.
> negative.
>
> I tried the procedure listed below, only installing the PIDE driver
> and same negative result.
>
> I've tried using different HALs at install (F5) and none helped.
>
> Also, I've tried different HDs and same result.
>
> I am clueless as to what is causing this..
>
> Installation gets to the point where it starts to copy files and then
> poof system reboots without finishing copying files, so it starts
> again. This is the farthest it gets. Sometimes I get different STOP
> errors.
>
> Is it possible that the RAM is bad or incompatible?
>
> what is a goog RAM testing utility I can use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net (Jim B.) wrote in message
>> dvnj@msn.com (dave) wrote in message
>> > "dave AKA vwdoc1" <vwdoc1@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>>
>> If the hard drive is an EIDE drive like he said in the original post
>> he has to use the 40 wire 80 pin cables for both drives. If the drive
>> is an SATA drive then he needs to use the red SATA drive cable and he
>> will need the following files and folders copied from the downloaded
>> driver zip file he got from the SOYO web site on a floppy disk for
>> installation during XP setup
>>
>> He will need the PIDE\WinXP folder, the RAID\WinXP folder and the
>> TXTsetup.oem file all on a floppy disk. These are the only folders and
>> file he needs on the floppy disk. He does not want all of the
>> downloaded files on the floppy, only those I listed.
>>
>> Then on bootup he should have the floppy disk in the drive and hit F-6
>> when asked. He needs to leave the disk in the drive it will ask him
>> later in the installation to his the "S" key to install third party
>> raid or scsi controller drivers. When he hits the "S" key it will then
>> read the disk and he can select the driver he want's, which for a
>> single drive would be the PIDE driver. After doing so it will come up
>> with the screen asking again if he wants to install another third
>> party raid or scsi controller driver, this time he should hit "enter"
>> to continue on with the installation of XP. He can take the disk out
>> after this.

>> > Use only the 40 wire ribbon cable for the dvd unit.
>> > Dave

Computer freezes when running MemTest86+. I think is on test 5.

bad RAM(brand new)? or incompatible?

bad board (brand new)? bad cpu (paid for pre-tested/brand new)?

Thanks Jim.

"Jim B" <knuckles6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<QEtZc.7043$ZC7.3047@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...
> [...]
> >>
> >> He will need the PIDE\WinXP folder, the RAID\WinXP folder and the
> >> TXTsetup.oem file all on a floppy disk. These are the only folders and
> >> file he needs on the floppy disk. He does not want all of the
> >> downloaded files on the floppy, only those I listed.
> >>
> >> Then on bootup he should have the floppy disk in the drive and hit F-6
> >> when asked. He needs to leave the disk in the drive it will ask him
> >> later in the installation to his the "S" key to install third party
> >> raid or scsi controller drivers. When he hits the "S" key it will then
> >> read the disk and he can select the driver he want's, which for a
> >> single drive would be the PIDE driver. After doing so it will come up
> >> with the screen asking again if he wants to install another third
> >> party raid or scsi controller driver, this time he should hit "enter"
> >> to continue on with the installation of XP. He can take the disk out

I forgot to mentioned that memtest86+ reported 2 errors before it froze.

> [...]
> >>
> >> He will need the PIDE\WinXP folder, the RAID\WinXP folder and the
> >> TXTsetup.oem file all on a floppy disk. These are the only folders and
> >> file he needs on the floppy disk. He does not want all of the
> >> downloaded files on the floppy, only those I listed.
> >>
> >> Then on bootup he should have the floppy disk in the drive and hit F-6
> >> when asked. He needs to leave the disk in the drive it will ask him
> >> later in the installation to his the "S" key to install third party
> >> raid or scsi controller drivers. When he hits the "S" key it will then
> >> read the disk and he can select the driver he want's, which for a
> >> single drive would be the PIDE driver. After doing so it will come up
> >> with the screen asking again if he wants to install another third
> >> party raid or scsi controller driver, this time he should hit "enter"
> >> to continue on with the installation of XP. He can take the disk out

If the ram is new I would exchange it for another first if its a good high
quality brand. You can't go wrong with mushin, corsair, infineon or geil.
But even with these brands you want there higher quality ram. But if your
using cheapo bargan priced stuff, exchange it for something better. With the
memory errors in Memtest and the freezing on test 5, thats where I would be
doing.