Fire Dragon

I'm looking for any helpful hints on doing a mild overclock with my Fire
Dragon. I have a 2.2GHz P4, Kingston 2100 RAM, stock Intel heatsink/fan
with thermal grease, 400W PS, FX5600 video card, video I/O card, etc. My
first Fire Dragon acted crazy when I tried to change any settings resulting
in spontaneous reboots, reset BIOS, and eventually it became unusable. I
finally convinced Soyo to send me another one. I have no idea if its
running the latest BIOS version. I read all the reviews I could find and it
seems that despite its apparant overclocking abilities in the BIOS, getting
this board to overclock is really a hit or miss affair. Others have
experienced the same problems I had with my first board. Others have pushed
2.2GHz up to 2.6GHz. Sounds like the AGP slot doesn't like to have its
voltage over 1.5V nor does the CPU like to go over 1.675V. Don't know if
its worth tweaking the memory voltage. I've heard that the latest BIOS
update might fix some of this. I'm interested in what other tweakers have
done. I really don't want to ruin my XP install so I'm not shooting for the
moon with the overclock. 2.4GHz would be nice.

"BigSky" <bmartin84@cox.net> wrote in message news:<WRAVc.12193$yh.3997@fed1read05>...

Due to the lack of a AGP/PCI clock setting lock in the BIOS of this
board you can't really overclock it much. You will end up pushing the
PCI and AGP bus speeds faster then any of your cards can handle. Your
memory also will become a problem. But you should be able to raise
your clock speed up to around 110Mhz without any problems, if you get
some good PC-2700 memory you may get it up to around 115Mhz as I did
with this board.

But all in all a change from 2.2GHz to 2.6Ghz isn't going to give you
that much of an increase it speed. You won't see any difference in the
operation of the computer. Now if you have a board with the AGP/PCI
clock setting lock. I bought the P-4I845P just for this added setting.
You could see a big increase in your operating speeds.

I have a 2.4GHz 533Mhz P-4 on this board and by using the 66/33MHz fix
in the lock setting I can push it up to 3.0GHz with no problems at
all. The 400MHz P-4's such as yours take to overclocking much better
then the 533MHz P-4's and it's use on this board could get you that
high or even higher with proper cooling. I'll add that I'm just using
the Intel fan on my unit. But in the end again I'm not really seeing
much difference in operation at 3.0GHz,

You can find the P4I-845PE real cheap these days, and the Version 1 of
the board can also run the 800MHz cpu's. But a little research show's
that Intel doesn't recommend running these 800MHz units on 845 chipset
boards. There not really set to use the cpu it's just the board can
overclock to the needed 200MHz clock speed.