Antivirus software is the new protection racket

Archived from groups: alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.comp.virus,microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

As you have all seen by these posts it is not foolproof either.

There are ways of running computers with no fear of infection.

You can even make your own virus run it and test it without ruining your
computer.

If you want to know more reply to this post asking for more info.

Do you all think people who write these viruses reinstall windows every day
?

If you go to a hotel or an internet cafe and run a virus do you think they
have to mess about fixing their systems constantly?

There are other ways.

My internet pc config
DELL GX1
windows 2000
p2 350
256 mb memory
2 x 20gb hard drives
No antivirus software
No spyware
No problems
Been up and running on the same setup for 2 years and never had a problem.
Still runs as fast as when I installed win 2000

Runs faster than my P4 3000 WITH NORTON AND XP.

Steve

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Good for you.. now take your advert someplace else where advertising is
allowed..

One of my computers has roughly the same spec as your 'magic' machine.. it
has worked perfectly for over two years, all with NO help from you or your
mystery method that you do not choose to freely distribute..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"NEWS" <GOOD@NEWS.COM> wrote in message
> As you have all seen by these posts it is not foolproof either.
>
> There are ways of running computers with no fear of infection.
>
> You can even make your own virus run it and test it without ruining your
> computer.
>
> If you want to know more reply to this post asking for more info.
>
> Do you all think people who write these viruses reinstall windows every
> day ?
>
> If you go to a hotel or an internet cafe and run a virus do you think they
> have to mess about fixing their systems constantly?
>
> There are other ways.
>
> My internet pc config
> DELL GX1
> windows 2000
> p2 350
> 256 mb memory
> 2 x 20gb hard drives
> No antivirus software
> No spyware
> No problems
> Been up and running on the same setup for 2 years and never had a problem.
> Still runs as fast as when I installed win 2000
>
> Runs faster than my P4 3000 WITH NORTON AND XP.
>
> Steve

Archived from groups: alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.comp.virus,microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"NEWS" <GOOD@NEWS.COM> wrote in message
> As> My internet pc config
> DELL GX1
> windows 2000
> p2 350
> 256 mb memory
> 2 x 20gb hard drives
> No antivirus software
> No spyware
> No problems
> Been up and running on the same setup for 2 years and never had a problem.
> Still runs as fast as when I installed win 2000
>
> Runs faster than my P4 3000 WITH NORTON AND XP.
>
> Steve

Well, if your P2-350 runs faster than your P4-3000, then if you apply your
'secrets' to your P4, it should just about be the fastest PC in the whole,wide
world. :)

NEWS wrote:
> As you have all seen by these posts it is not foolproof either.
>
> There are ways of running computers with no fear of infection.

snake-oil... there is no panacea, no perfect protection...

> You can even make your own virus run it and test it without ruining your
> computer.
>
> If you want to know more reply to this post asking for more info.
>
> Do you all think people who write these viruses reinstall windows every day
> ?

do you really think that's the only way to deal with a virus infection?

> If you go to a hotel or an internet cafe and run a virus do you think they
> have to mess about fixing their systems constantly?

no, they probably have drive images that they can simply restore from...

--
"we are the revenants
and we will rise up from the dead

Archived from groups: alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.comp.virus,microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Ahhh...the smell of SPAM in the morning!

Another scumbag selling an add-in mirror card that doe not offer you any
protection. This idiot thinks it is okay to let your computer get infected
while online, because (in theory) the computer will be wiped and them booted
from a clean image on the card. What the SPAMMER does not tell you is that
while you are using your infected computer (and it will be infected if you
boot with no antivirus as this idiot suggests), your computer will be
infecting everyone in your address book, and will also find other
unprotected computers to infect. Your computer becomes a vector. Not to
mention the other nasties that can turn your computer into a zombie or
spambot.

I just want everyone to know that what this idiot is selling is not worth
anything at all. Not even the paltry amount he claims to sell it for.

Do not pay any attention to this scumbag. The device he sells is worthless.
It does not protect your computer against viruses, malware, adware etc.

Bobby

> "NEWS" <GOOD@NEWS.COM> wrote in message
>> As> My internet pc config
>> DELL GX1
>> windows 2000
>> p2 350
>> 256 mb memory
>> 2 x 20gb hard drives
>> No antivirus software
>> No spyware
>> No problems
>> Been up and running on the same setup for 2 years and never had a
>> problem.
>> Still runs as fast as when I installed win 2000
>>
>> Runs faster than my P4 3000 WITH NORTON AND XP.
>>
>> Steve
>
> Well, if your P2-350 runs faster than your P4-3000, then if you apply your
> 'secrets' to your P4, it should just about be the fastest PC in the
> whole,wide
> world. :)

Installing Norton is one way to make a P4 run like a P2.

"nos1eep" <No> wrote in message

> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "NEWS" <GOOD@NEWS.COM> wrote in message
>>> DELL GX1
>>> windows 2000
>>> p2 350
>>> 256 mb memory
>>> 2 x 20gb hard drives
>>> No antivirus software
>>> No spyware
>>> No problems
>>> Been up and running on the same setup for 2 years and never had a
>>> problem.
>>> Still runs as fast as when I installed win 2000
>>>
>>> Runs faster than my P4 3000 WITH NORTON AND XP.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> Well, if your P2-350 runs faster than your P4-3000, then if you apply
>> your
>> 'secrets' to your P4, it should just about be the fastest PC in the
>> whole,wide
>> world. :)
>
> Installing Norton is one way to make a P4 run like a P2.

Correction;

Installing Norton will not slow down a properly configured maintained
computer.

( I have a network of over 200 computers of various makes, models and
vintage. Norton is on all of them. None of them are slowed down by
Norton...but then again I know how to maintain a healthy system).

Bobby

Bobby

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Who freely distributes flawless antivirus software if its you send me some.
What else do you give away other than your useless opinions.

> Good for you.. now take your advert someplace else where advertising is
> allowed..
>
> One of my computers has roughly the same spec as your 'magic' machine.. it
> has worked perfectly for over two years, all with NO help from you or your
> mystery method that you do not choose to freely distribute..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "NEWS" <GOOD@NEWS.COM> wrote in message
>> As you have all seen by these posts it is not foolproof either.
>>
>> There are ways of running computers with no fear of infection.
>>
>> You can even make your own virus run it and test it without ruining your
>> computer.
>>
>> If you want to know more reply to this post asking for more info.
>>
>> Do you all think people who write these viruses reinstall windows every
>> day ?
>>
>> If you go to a hotel or an internet cafe and run a virus do you think
>> they have to mess about fixing their systems constantly?
>>
>> There are other ways.
>>
>> My internet pc config
>> DELL GX1
>> windows 2000
>> p2 350
>> 256 mb memory
>> 2 x 20gb hard drives
>> No antivirus software
>> No spyware
>> No problems
>> Been up and running on the same setup for 2 years and never had a
>> problem.
>> Still runs as fast as when I installed win 2000
>>
>> Runs faster than my P4 3000 WITH NORTON AND XP.
>>
>> Steve

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

My 'useless' opinions help people here for free.. I have no product that I
am trying to peddle.. unlike you, of course.. you are a cheap troll of the
worst kind.. you talk like stuff is for free, and then you spring the
charge.. and you have to do it privately.. lol.. do you add anybody who
replies to a mailing list that they can't opt out of because the mail box is
always left full to capacity, and the 'get out' mail is bounced back?..

You will get no respect from me, not that you care, eh.. you will lose
respect from many more too, but shysters like you work on the principle that
if you can catch 'three in every hundred', then that is a good day's
hunting.. you don't care what impact you have other than on a person's
wallet..

Like I said, take it someplace else.. improve you marketing skills and do a
proper job with your product..

--

> Who freely distributes flawless antivirus software if its you send me
> some.
> What else do you give away other than your useless opinions.
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Good for you.. now take your advert someplace else where advertising is
>> allowed..
>>
>> One of my computers has roughly the same spec as your 'magic' machine..
>> it has worked perfectly for over two years, all with NO help from you or
>> your mystery method that you do not choose to freely distribute..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "NEWS" <GOOD@NEWS.COM> wrote in message
>>> As you have all seen by these posts it is not foolproof either.
>>>
>>> There are ways of running computers with no fear of infection.
>>>
>>> You can even make your own virus run it and test it without ruining your
>>> computer.
>>>
>>> If you want to know more reply to this post asking for more info.
>>>
>>> Do you all think people who write these viruses reinstall windows every
>>> day ?
>>>
>>> If you go to a hotel or an internet cafe and run a virus do you think
>>> they have to mess about fixing their systems constantly?
>>>
>>> There are other ways.
>>>
>>> My internet pc config
>>> DELL GX1
>>> windows 2000
>>> p2 350
>>> 256 mb memory
>>> 2 x 20gb hard drives
>>> No antivirus software
>>> No spyware
>>> No problems
>>> Been up and running on the same setup for 2 years and never had a
>>> problem.
>>> Still runs as fast as when I installed win 2000
>>>
>>> Runs faster than my P4 3000 WITH NORTON AND XP.
>>>
>>> Steve

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"NEWS" <GOOD@NEWS.COM> wrote in message
> Who freely distributes flawless antivirus software if its you send me
> some.
> What else do you give away other than your useless opinions.
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Good for you.. now take your advert someplace else where advertising
>> is allowed..
>>
>> One of my computers has roughly the same spec as your 'magic'
>> machine.. it has worked perfectly for over two years, all with NO
>> help from you or your mystery method that you do not choose to freely
>> distribute..

Yep, for sure NEWS is a spammer. Nowhere in Mike's reply did he say he
was using "flawless antivirus software". But NEWS wants to divert from
his statements and cloud the issue with deliberately inaccurate
quotation.

Ledsystems probably would like this spammer to go away as all it effects
is a negative publicity campaign against them.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

What about negative publicity from the 'snake oil' product?

Phil Weldon

Fitz

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Amen!

> [...]

> > "NEWS" <GOOD@NEWS.COM> wrote in message
> >> DELL GX1
> >> windows 2000
> >> p2 350
> >> 256 mb memory
> >> 2 x 20gb hard drives
> >> No antivirus software
> >> No spyware
> >> No problems
> >> Been up and running on the same setup for 2 years and never had a
> >> problem.
> >> Still runs as fast as when I installed win 2000
> >>
> >> Runs faster than my P4 3000 WITH NORTON AND XP.
> >>
> >> Steve
> >
> > Well, if your P2-350 runs faster than your P4-3000, then if you apply your
> > 'secrets' to your P4, it should just about be the fastest PC in the
> > whole,wide
> > world. :)
>
> Installing Norton is one way to make a P4 run like a P2.

You're almost as bad as NEWS. :-(

frode

Archived from groups: alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Frode;

You are absolutely correct, but the idiot that started this thread says
you need no firewall, no AV software, no protection of any kind. The OP
urges that you need do nothing to protect yourself because his miracle
device will fix it after it happens. It is whole premise. He does not take
into account the fact that the computer is vulnerable, can and will be
infected while online with no protection. He states that rebooting will
return the computer to a pristine state, which again is not a guarantee.
The OP preys upon the gullible and the ignorant...he deserves to be
railroaded out of the groups. He can peddle his fantasies and useless
hardware on the streetcorner...where the others who prostitute themselves
for a few dollars are. He belongs with the other crack whores.

Bobby

"Frode" <news@mascot.REMOVETOREPLY.dyndns.org> wrote in message

Archived from groups: alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

In article <ezlddjBVFHA.2172@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "NoNoBadDog!"
<mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> says...
> Frode;
>
> You are absolutely correct, but the idiot that started this thread says
> you need no firewall, no AV software, no protection of any kind. The OP
> urges that you need do nothing to protect yourself because his miracle
> device will fix it after it happens. It is whole premise. He does not take
> into account the fact that the computer is vulnerable, can and will be
> infected while online with no protection. He states that rebooting will
> return the computer to a pristine state, which again is not a guarantee.
> The OP preys upon the gullible and the ignorant...he deserves to be
> railroaded out of the groups. He can peddle his fantasies and useless
> hardware on the streetcorner...where the others who prostitute themselves
> for a few dollars are. He belongs with the other crack whores.

And what's really sad is that if I modify the computer with online
applications or while online, that I lose those changes when I reboot.

A router with NAT and quality AV software are always a first layer means
of protection against threats.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Relic

TJ wrote:

> Avast! is not only free, it's non-invasive, and easy to get rid of if
> you don't like it. (Try doing THAT, with anything Norton.)

Didn't you see the Removal utilities that come on the Norton CD? Totally
clean of all traces after you run them.

--
If there is a Tourist Season, how come we can't shoot them?

> "nos1eep" <No> wrote in message
>>
>> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "NEWS" <GOOD@NEWS.COM> wrote in message

>> > Well, if your P2-350 runs faster than your P4-3000, then if you apply
>> > your
>> > 'secrets' to your P4, it should just about be the fastest PC in the
>> > whole,wide
>> > world. :)
>>
>> Installing Norton is one way to make a P4 run like a P2.
>
> You're almost as bad as NEWS. :-(

Okay! Now I'm hurt, devastated and dejected. ;-)

kurt wismer <kurtw@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> NEWS wrote:
> > As you have all seen by these posts it is not foolproof either.
> >
> > There are ways of running computers with no fear of infection.
>
> snake-oil... there is no panacea, no perfect protection...

Reset cards, which is what this guy is offering, aren't new. They are almost as
old as the PC itself. The first time I saw them in action was when I attempted
to install software on PCs at the students farm of the Weizman Institute, back
in '89, and the person in charge forgot to tell me how to disable the reset card
first.

> > You can even make your own virus run it and test it without ruining your
> > computer.
> >
> > If you want to know more reply to this post asking for more info.
> >
> > Do you all think people who write these viruses reinstall windows every day
> > ?
>
> do you really think that's the only way to deal with a virus infection?
>
> > If you go to a hotel or an internet cafe and run a virus do you think they
> > have to mess about fixing their systems constantly?
>
> no, they probably have drive images that they can simply restore from...

Most use reset cards - the PC "forgets" all changes on reboot.

Regards, Zvi
--
NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

Zvi Netiv wrote:
> kurt wismer <kurtw@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>NEWS wrote:
>>
>>>As you have all seen by these posts it is not foolproof either.
>>>
>>>There are ways of running computers with no fear of infection.
>>
>>snake-oil... there is no panacea, no perfect protection...
>
> Reset cards, which is what this guy is offering, aren't new. They are almost as
> old as the PC itself.

i realize this, that's not why i called 'snake-oil'...

the implication of 'use this and have no more fear of infection' is that
it completely solves the virus problem - which, of course, it
doesn't... it may solve the virus recovery problem, but that's a
different matter...

as i'm sure you're aware, this reset card doesn't actually prevent
infection, so a machine can be sitting there pumping out worm instances
until the cows come home and all this product will do is get rid of the
worm when you next reboot but will restore you to the condition that
allowed you to catch the worm in the first place so chances are you
won't be worm free for very long...

--

In article <rYHfe.12587$XX1.137132@news20.bellglobal.com>,
kurtw@sympatico.ca says...
> the implication of 'use this and have no more fear of infection' is that
> it completely solves the virus problem - which, of course, it
> doesn't... it may solve the virus recovery problem, but that's a
> different matter...

I solved the problem with a simple solution, at least it's simple for my
mother-in-law.

I installed a router with NAT, then Symantec Corporate Ed. 9 AV
software, then setup the computer with everything she needs, tested it,
made a Ghost Image file of the OS and Data partitions, and then burned
the image to CD. I also left a copy on a third partition and she can
update it via diskette if she does any installs or updates that she
want's to save - outside of her normal CD-RW backups.

The thing, as you pointed out, is that the OP's solution is only good
for the moment that the image is reset. During the running/UP time, the
machine can easily be compromised, turned into a zombie, and users
personal information can be obtained. Not to mention that once the user
resets the system they lose all their changes unless stored off-line
somewhere.

The only place I can see using a reset card type device is a kiosk or a
Internet cafe where you want to wipe the machines between users - and a
simple Ghost restore across the network would take care of that too.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Archived from groups: alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.comp.virus,microsoft.public.security.virus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

kurt wismer <kurtw@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Zvi Netiv wrote:

> >>snake-oil... there is no panacea, no perfect protection...
> >
> > Reset cards, which is what this guy is offering, aren't new. They are almost as
> > old as the PC itself.
>
> i realize this, that's not why i called 'snake-oil'...

I know. That's not what I was addressing ...

> the implication of 'use this and have no more fear of infection' is that
> it completely solves the virus problem - which, of course, it
> doesn't... it may solve the virus recovery problem, but that's a
> different matter...
>
> as i'm sure you're aware, this reset card doesn't actually prevent
> infection, so a machine can be sitting there pumping out worm instances
> until the cows come home and all this product will do is get rid of the
> worm when you next reboot but will restore you to the condition that
> allowed you to catch the worm in the first place so chances are you
> won't be worm free for very long...

I should have been more explicit in my previous post.

I wasn't considering the effectiveness of reset cards as an "AV solution" but in
what they were originally supposed to do, i.e. anti-vandalism (the use in kiosk
/ Internet cafe mode is relatively new).

A reset card has no use in home and corporate PC, it's plain nonsense.

What made me think that you didn't realize it's about reset cards is your
following passage:
---
> > > If you go to a hotel or an internet cafe and run a virus do you think they
> > > have to mess about fixing their systems constantly?
> >
> > no, they probably have drive images that they can simply restore from...
---

Only to commission a new drive or to replace one that failed.

I bet that most of the readers don't yet realize the nonsense of this thread ...

Regards, Zvi
--

Zvi Netiv wrote:
> kurt wismer <kurtw@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>Zvi Netiv wrote:
[snip]
> I should have been more explicit in my previous post.

sorry, you started out by replying to my calling 'snake-oil' on the
OP... i thought that (being the most controversial statement i made
there) was what had prompted the reply...

[snip]
> What made me think that you didn't realize it's about reset cards is your
> following passage:
> ---

>>>no, they probably have drive images that they can simply restore from...
>
> ---
>
> Only to commission a new drive or to replace one that failed.

actually i've heard kiosk administrators say that they use drive images
to revert changes made by users... i'm sure some do use a pc reset card,
but i think more people are familiar with norton ghost than are familiar
with pc reset cards...

> I bet that most of the readers don't yet realize the nonsense of this thread ...

yes, well in a perfect world there would be no misinformation to dispel,
but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world...

--
"we are the revenants
and we will rise up from the dead
we become the living
we've come back to reclaim our stolen breath"

sammy

NoNoBadDog! wrote:

> Installing Norton will not slow down a properly configured maintained

> computer.

Really? This is news. Please, what is the proper configuration so as
not to slow ones computer down with Norton?

> ( I have a network of over 200 computers of various makes, models and

> vintage. Norton is on all of them. None of them are slowed down by
> Norton...but then again I know how to maintain a healthy system).

Which version(s) of norton are you using, and please describe in detail
the exact no slowdown configuration one must use when dealing with
Norton Antivirus.

As it is however, in fairness to you; I suspect your full of it.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"NWART" <nwart@easystreet.com> wrote in message

> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> Obviously you haven't read any of the AntiVirus tests in the last
>> several years.
>> Norton scores so much higher than Avast.
>> Avast has an overall poor detection rate and that makes it not
>> preferable to
>> many (even if it is free).
>
> Actually those were paid tests by guess who? Three guesses and the
> first two don't count.

Yeah, right, it must've been fixed if it doesn't match your opinion. So
who paid http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2005_02.php?

TRENDING THREADS