Media Center / Sonic RecordNow! not recognizing DVD drive

Hello!

I recently purchased an HP computer with Windows MCE preinstalled. I was
able to record a movie from live TV successfully, but am having trouble with
burning it to a DVD.

One change I made to the setup was to remap some drives, including the
recorder drive (it's now X: instead of F: or E: or whatever it was). I'm
guessing that's the root of my problem, but I can't figure out how to fix it.

Here's what's happening: when I go into MC and click on Create CD/DVD in
Other Programs, it brings up a dialog asking me to make sure there is a
drive. (ie. it's not seeing the drive) If I fire up iTunes and ask it to
burn a CD, that works fine. If I fire up another disc burning utility I have
(NTI) it also works fine, although it does not recognize the file format of
the recorded movie, so I have no way of burning it using that program.

When I fire up RecordNow directly, it tells me there is no recorder and
gives me the option to 'check for other drives.' However, when I select
that, nothing happens. It doesn't allow me to 'browse' or anything like
that, it just flashes right back to 'no recorder.'

So - any help in figuring out how to make MCE and/or RecordNow recognize my
recorder drive would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Laura F.
1 answer Last reply
More about media center sonic recordnow recognizing drive

    You should consult the experts in the Windows Media Center newsgroup:

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Laura F." wrote:

    | Hello!
    |
    | I recently purchased an HP computer with Windows MCE preinstalled. I was
    | able to record a movie from live TV successfully, but am having trouble with
    | burning it to a DVD.
    |
    | One change I made to the setup was to remap some drives, including the
    | recorder drive (it's now X: instead of F: or E: or whatever it was). I'm
    | guessing that's the root of my problem, but I can't figure out how to fix it.
    |
    | Here's what's happening: when I go into MC and click on Create CD/DVD in
    | Other Programs, it brings up a dialog asking me to make sure there is a
    | drive. (ie. it's not seeing the drive) If I fire up iTunes and ask it to
    | burn a CD, that works fine. If I fire up another disc burning utility I have
    | (NTI) it also works fine, although it does not recognize the file format of
    | the recorded movie, so I have no way of burning it using that program.
    |
    | When I fire up RecordNow directly, it tells me there is no recorder and
    | gives me the option to 'check for other drives.' However, when I select
    | that, nothing happens. It doesn't allow me to 'browse' or anything like
    | that, it just flashes right back to 'no recorder.'
    |
    | So - any help in figuring out how to make MCE and/or RecordNow recognize my
    | recorder drive would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    |
    | Laura F.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0518-5, 05/08/2005
    Tested on: 5/8/2005 10:25:09 AM

Media Center Windows XP