Media Center / Sonic RecordNow! not recognizing DVD drive

Hello!

I recently purchased an HP computer with Windows MCE preinstalled. I was
able to record a movie from live TV successfully, but am having trouble with
burning it to a DVD.

One change I made to the setup was to remap some drives, including the
recorder drive (it's now X: instead of F: or E: or whatever it was). I'm
guessing that's the root of my problem, but I can't figure out how to fix it.

Here's what's happening: when I go into MC and click on Create CD/DVD in
Other Programs, it brings up a dialog asking me to make sure there is a
drive. (ie. it's not seeing the drive) If I fire up iTunes and ask it to
burn a CD, that works fine. If I fire up another disc burning utility I have
(NTI) it also works fine, although it does not recognize the file format of
the recorded movie, so I have no way of burning it using that program.

When I fire up RecordNow directly, it tells me there is no recorder and
gives me the option to 'check for other drives.' However, when I select
that, nothing happens. It doesn't allow me to 'browse' or anything like
that, it just flashes right back to 'no recorder.'

So - any help in figuring out how to make MCE and/or RecordNow recognize my
recorder drive would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Laura F.

You should consult the experts in the Windows Media Center newsgroup:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Laura F." wrote:

| Hello!
|
| I recently purchased an HP computer with Windows MCE preinstalled. I was
| able to record a movie from live TV successfully, but am having trouble with
| burning it to a DVD.
|
| One change I made to the setup was to remap some drives, including the
| recorder drive (it's now X: instead of F: or E: or whatever it was). I'm
| guessing that's the root of my problem, but I can't figure out how to fix it.
|
| Here's what's happening: when I go into MC and click on Create CD/DVD in
| Other Programs, it brings up a dialog asking me to make sure there is a
| drive. (ie. it's not seeing the drive) If I fire up iTunes and ask it to
| burn a CD, that works fine. If I fire up another disc burning utility I have
| (NTI) it also works fine, although it does not recognize the file format of
| the recorded movie, so I have no way of burning it using that program.
|
| When I fire up RecordNow directly, it tells me there is no recorder and
| gives me the option to 'check for other drives.' However, when I select
| that, nothing happens. It doesn't allow me to 'browse' or anything like
| that, it just flashes right back to 'no recorder.'
|
| So - any help in figuring out how to make MCE and/or RecordNow recognize my
| recorder drive would be much appreciated. Thanks.
|
| Laura F.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0518-5, 05/08/2005
Tested on: 5/8/2005 10:25:09 AM