Install on partition other than C:

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm trying to install a Windows XP Home edition on a partition other than C:,
this one is for audio production, without internet and all security features
for beter performance.

But when I try to install, My new SATA 120 GIG Western Digital HD is not
detected by the windows SETUP. I tried the F6 to install 3rd party SCSI, but
it didn't find anything.

Anyone know how to make this work?

MY PC IS
AMD 64
ASUS K8T800 SE Deluxe

Thanks

Mikey

You need to install the SATA drivers that came with your motherboard
(assuming the SATA connection are on the motherboard)

Here is a typical example from a ASUS motherboard (similar information is
found in a readme.txt file for the SATA or SATA Raid drivers for other
motherboard manufacturer.:

7) Install Operating System into SATA HDD of VT8237

1. Install Windows 98SE or Me

Cut out
2. Install Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP, or Server 2003

* Copy all files and directories of DriverDisk\SATA folder to a
floppy disk. Make sure
following directories and files are copied into floppy disk.

A:\
\2003IA32
VIAsraid.inf
VIAsraid.sys
VIAsraid.cat
\Win2000
VIAsraid.inf
VIAsraid.sys
VIAsraid.cat
\Winnt40
VIAsraid.inf
VIAsraid.sys
\WinXP
VIAsraid.inf
VIAsraid.sys
VIAsraid.cat
Txtsetup.oem
VT8237

* Boot system from OS installing CD-ROM.

* Make sure VT6420 BIOS is executed by the system BIOS when POST.
Remember you need to press F6 during initial install. The driver files must
be on the floppy.

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"Mikey" <Mikey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install a Windows XP Home edition on a partition other than
> C:,
> this one is for audio production, without internet and all security
> features
> for beter performance.
>
> But when I try to install, My new SATA 120 GIG Western Digital HD is not
> detected by the windows SETUP. I tried the F6 to install 3rd party SCSI,
> but
> it didn't find anything.
>
> Anyone know how to make this work?
>
> MY PC IS
> AMD 64
> ASUS K8T800 SE Deluxe
>
> Thanks
>
> Mikey

First,you may need to format the hd with wdc DOS utility before you get into
windows set-up,also,at F6,you need to repeat the process until you
see"loading
drivers",usually repeating it 2X,then continue on to xp set-up.Try the
later 1st,
if no go,download the utility from wdc to a floppy,boot to floppy.

"Mikey" wrote:

> I'm trying to install a Windows XP Home edition on a partition other than C:,
> this one is for audio production, without internet and all security features
> for beter performance.
>
> But when I try to install, My new SATA 120 GIG Western Digital HD is not
> detected by the windows SETUP. I tried the F6 to install 3rd party SCSI, but
> it didn't find anything.
>
> Anyone know how to make this work?
>
> MY PC IS
> AMD 64