Multiple Sound Cards

I have a system with multiple sound cards. One is built in, and one is an
addon. Once I install the add on card, the on board does not produce any
sound, although it still shows up in device manager without any conflicts.
Anyone have any ideas?

you cannot have 2 sound cards workin otherwise there would be conflicts or
unless you have software. why would you want 2 anyway? this is natural when
you install any non on board sound card.

"Kerwin Cabrera" wrote:

> I have a system with multiple sound cards. One is built in, and one is an
> addon. Once I install the add on card, the on board does not produce any
> sound, although it still shows up in device manager without any conflicts.
> Anyone have any ideas?

Did you go to Control Panel Sounds and set the "new card" to be the
Default soundcard?

Kerwin Cabrera wrote:

> I have a system with multiple sound cards. One is built in, and one is an
> addon. Once I install the add on card, the on board does not produce any
> sound, although it still shows up in device manager without any conflicts.
> Anyone have any ideas?

Absolutely wrong. I have onboard Intel 7.1 audio and EMU 0404 in PCI slot.
I actively use them both. The problem is that lots of applications aren't
smart enough to let you select which device they use for audio. Heck, I
could have 4 sound cards if I wanted to.

-Nate

"J-Dee" wrote:

> you cannot have 2 sound cards workin otherwise there would be conflicts or
> unless you have software. why would you want 2 anyway? this is natural when
> you install any non on board sound card.
>
> "Kerwin Cabrera" wrote:
>
> > I have a system with multiple sound cards. One is built in, and one is an
> > addon. Once I install the add on card, the on board does not produce any
> > sound, although it still shows up in device manager without any conflicts.
> > Anyone have any ideas?

You have 2 seperate sets of speakers going from the 2 outputs of the 2
cards, or what?

"Nate" <Nate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Absolutely wrong. I have onboard Intel 7.1 audio and EMU 0404 in PCI
> slot.
> I actively use them both. The problem is that lots of applications aren't
> smart enough to let you select which device they use for audio. Heck, I
> could have 4 sound cards if I wanted to.
>
> -Nate
>

> "J-Dee" wrote:
>
>> you cannot have 2 sound cards workin otherwise there would be conflicts
>> or
>> unless you have software. why would you want 2 anyway? this is natural
>> when
>> you install any non on board sound card.
>>
>> "Kerwin Cabrera" wrote:
>>
>> > I have a system with multiple sound cards. One is built in, and one is
>> > an
>> > addon. Once I install the add on card, the on board does not produce
>> > any
>> > sound, although it still shows up in device manager without any
>> > conflicts.
>> > Anyone have any ideas?

I have one sound card that I use for my main speakers and digital output to
my a/v equipment. Then I have another that I use strictly for inputs and
ASIO programs. I'm also running Media Center Edition so this computer
basically performs the functions of 2 machines at once. I'll have media
center running on my TV and I'll be sitting at the PC on the other side of
the room working on stuff at the screen.

-Nate

"Kenny S" wrote:

> You have 2 seperate sets of speakers going from the 2 outputs of the 2
> cards, or what?
>

> "Nate" <Nate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Absolutely wrong. I have onboard Intel 7.1 audio and EMU 0404 in PCI
> > slot.
> > I actively use them both. The problem is that lots of applications aren't
> > smart enough to let you select which device they use for audio. Heck, I
> > could have 4 sound cards if I wanted to.
> >
> > -Nate
> >

> > "J-Dee" wrote:
> >
> >> you cannot have 2 sound cards workin otherwise there would be conflicts
> >> or
> >> unless you have software. why would you want 2 anyway? this is natural
> >> when
> >> you install any non on board sound card.

Yes.
"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> You have 2 seperate sets of speakers going from the 2 outputs of the 2
> cards, or what?
>

> "Nate" <Nate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Absolutely wrong. I have onboard Intel 7.1 audio and EMU 0404 in PCI
>> slot.
>> I actively use them both. The problem is that lots of applications
>> aren't
>> smart enough to let you select which device they use for audio. Heck, I
>> could have 4 sound cards if I wanted to.
>>
>> -Nate
>>

>> "J-Dee" wrote:
>>
>>> you cannot have 2 sound cards workin otherwise there would be conflicts
>>> or
>>> unless you have software. why would you want 2 anyway? this is natural
>>> when
>>> you install any non on board sound card.

Yes, I've changed the default sound card multiple times, but the only one
that produces sound is the add on card.

> Did you go to Control Panel Sounds and set the "new card" to be the
> Default soundcard?
>
> Kerwin Cabrera wrote:
>
>> I have a system with multiple sound cards. One is built in, and one is
>> an addon. Once I install the add on card, the on board does not produce
>> any sound, although it still shows up in device manager without any
>> conflicts. Anyone have any ideas?

Perhaps your system automatically disabled the integrated sound system
with the installation of the add-in card.

Kerwin Cabrera wrote:

> Yes, I've changed the default sound card multiple times, but the only one
> that produces sound is the add on card.
>
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Did you go to Control Panel Sounds and set the "new card" to be the
>>Default soundcard?
>>
>>Kerwin Cabrera wrote:
>>

>>>I have a system with multiple sound cards. One is built in, and one is
>>>an addon. Once I install the add on card, the on board does not produce
>>>any sound, although it still shows up in device manager without any
>>>conflicts. Anyone have any ideas?

Some BIOS manufacturers set the sound option to "Auto" and only give you the
option of auto and off. Then you gotta buy 2 PCI sound cards.

-Nate