P4I865PE and SP2 Does not Work

I have Win XP Pro and after installing SP2 on it Windows hangs on the
Splash Screen, and even safe mode won't get me to the Desktop.

I am currently running BIOS version P4IP2_2BA1 on the SY-P4I865PE Plus
DRAGON 2.

Anyone out there with Win XP Pro and SP2 that is up and Running on
this Motherboard?

I initally tried installing SP2 on my normal Windows XP Pro that had
all the updates and was at SP1. I rebooted a few times to make sure
all was good. No strange thigns running in my Task Manager Memory.
No strange thigns on my Registry Run Line. SP2 Installed all the way
and asked me to Reboot. When I rebooted it went to the Window Splash
Screen and the progress bar moved across 5 times then hung. Waiting a
long long time did nada. Power button would not turn off the machine.

I then powered down from the Power Supply switch and tried to get in
again. Same Hang. I tried Safe Mode and No luck there either. It
would load all the way up to agp440.sys and hang (after flashing my
USB Mouse a couple time).

I detached all my Peripherals except my keyboard (No Mouse, no
Speakers) but no luck. I removed my one PCI Card (USB Card) and no
luck. My Motherboard sound is disabled, but I am using the
Motherboard Network. I have the Motherboard with 3 memory slots.

I then booted to DOS with a floppy and renamed my Windows Directory.
I then Installed a fresh copy of Win XP Pro. I put on my Motherboard
Drivers from the Soyo CD (Intel and Davicom Drivers) and downloaded
the latest video Driver from NVIDIA. I then went to Windows Update
and it had me download 15 critical updates. This went fine (none were
SP1 or 2). I then rebooted and did a Windows Update again and it
downloaded SP2. After Installing SP2 it had me reboot. I rebooted
and again it hung on the Splash screen of Windows and would not get
into Safe mode.

Machine =
SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 BIOS P4IP2_2BA1
P4 2.8 1meg L2 Cache 800 FSB Prescott
1 Stick of 1 Gig Samsung PC3200 Memory
Geforce 4 4600 video card
PS2 Keyboard, USB Mouse (I tried without it sometimes)

I then called Microsoft Tech Support and talked to one of their second
teir Representatives for an hour and a half. We were unable to get it
going. He suggested I reinstall from scratch and install SP2 before
my Video Drivers. Also suggested I try and install SP2 from the
Network install instead of windows Updates.

I then did that. New Clean Win XP Pro Install. Installed just the
Intel Driver from the Soyo CD. Added in the 15 critical updates.
Checked Windows Update and it wanted me to install SP2. So I
installed SP2 from a Network Install of SP2 I downloaded from MS. I
did not install my Video Card drivers. After Installing SP2 and
rebooting it again hangs on the Splash screen after the progress bar
goes across a few times.

This machine only has my video card in it and is super vanilla. It
seems likely that SP2 is incompatible with my MotherBoard and BIOS.

Can anyone confirm that they have XP Pro and SP2 working on a
SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 (3 memory slots (non v1.0))?

I don't have enough faith in my Floppy to risk flashing the BIOS up to
P4IP2_2BA2.

Thanks,
FLX

I am up to Bios version P41P2_2BA2. I have the EXACT same
problems as you.

Mine is a brand new machine, with a brand new install. No other
software or updates loaded. I also updated the 15 patches before
SP2, and like you, at the reboot it hangs. The only difference
in what I did was I eventually did a repair and then saved a
copy of all the *.log files in the Windows directory. I'm on my
third attempt once I can 'hope' it will work. I checked the SOYO
site and there was no info in the knowledge base yet (That was
Sunday). I'll keep your email and if you can get yours to boot
then let me know, and I'll do the same for you.

Flavio.
flavioantonucci at yahoo dot removethis ca

In article <d08d24ce.0408302111.1e8c5542@posting.google.com>,
VANADIA_AO@EXCITE.COM says...

"XODAR" <VANADIA_AO@EXCITE.COM> wrote in message
> I have Win XP Pro and after installing SP2 on it Windows hangs on the
> Splash Screen, and even safe mode won't get me to the Desktop.
>
> I am currently running BIOS version P4IP2_2BA1 on the SY-P4I865PE Plus
> DRAGON 2.
>
> Anyone out there with Win XP Pro and SP2 that is up and Running on
> this Motherboard?
>
> I initally tried installing SP2 on my normal Windows XP Pro that had
> all the updates and was at SP1. I rebooted a few times to make sure
> all was good. No strange thigns running in my Task Manager Memory.
> No strange thigns on my Registry Run Line. SP2 Installed all the way
> and asked me to Reboot. When I rebooted it went to the Window Splash
> Screen and the progress bar moved across 5 times then hung. Waiting a
> long long time did nada. Power button would not turn off the machine.
>
> I then powered down from the Power Supply switch and tried to get in
> again. Same Hang. I tried Safe Mode and No luck there either. It
> would load all the way up to agp440.sys and hang (after flashing my
> USB Mouse a couple time).
>
> I detached all my Peripherals except my keyboard (No Mouse, no
> Speakers) but no luck. I removed my one PCI Card (USB Card) and no
> luck. My Motherboard sound is disabled, but I am using the
> Motherboard Network. I have the Motherboard with 3 memory slots.
>
> I then booted to DOS with a floppy and renamed my Windows Directory.
> I then Installed a fresh copy of Win XP Pro. I put on my Motherboard
> Drivers from the Soyo CD (Intel and Davicom Drivers) and downloaded
> the latest video Driver from NVIDIA. I then went to Windows Update
> and it had me download 15 critical updates. This went fine (none were
> SP1 or 2). I then rebooted and did a Windows Update again and it
> downloaded SP2. After Installing SP2 it had me reboot. I rebooted
> and again it hung on the Splash screen of Windows and would not get
> into Safe mode.
>
> Machine =
> SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 BIOS P4IP2_2BA1
> P4 2.8 1meg L2 Cache 800 FSB Prescott
> 1 Stick of 1 Gig Samsung PC3200 Memory
> Geforce 4 4600 video card
> PS2 Keyboard, USB Mouse (I tried without it sometimes)
>
> I then called Microsoft Tech Support and talked to one of their second
> teir Representatives for an hour and a half.

That guy or their organization is incompetent then as this is a known issue
Intel 865/875+Prescott+SP2+out-of-date-CPU-microcode.

Flash this:
865l2ba2.bin
This upgrade requires Awdflash.exe
2004-08-03
SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 BIOS Revision: P4IP2_2BA2

See if that helps. A workaround is to coverup the MS bug behind it by
renaming
%windir%\system32\drivers\update.sys

Use the Intel Frequency ID utility to assure that "CPU revision >= 8" after
the mobo BIOS flash. Likely it's now < 7.

> We were unable to get it
> going. He suggested I reinstall from scratch and install SP2 before
> my Video Drivers. Also suggested I try and install SP2 from the
> Network install instead of windows Updates.
>
> I then did that. New Clean Win XP Pro Install. Installed just the
> Intel Driver from the Soyo CD. Added in the 15 critical updates.
> Checked Windows Update and it wanted me to install SP2. So I
> installed SP2 from a Network Install of SP2 I downloaded from MS. I
> did not install my Video Card drivers. After Installing SP2 and
> rebooting it again hangs on the Splash screen after the progress bar
> goes across a few times.
>
> This machine only has my video card in it and is super vanilla. It
> seems likely that SP2 is incompatible with my MotherBoard and BIOS.
>
> Can anyone confirm that they have XP Pro and SP2 working on a
> SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 (3 memory slots (non v1.0))?
>
> I don't have enough faith in my Floppy to risk flashing the BIOS up to
> P4IP2_2BA2.
>
> Thanks,
> FLX

Interesting information, I've put SP-2 on one 865 board and one 845 board
with no problems at all but have an Abit 875 board that won't take it.

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> [...]
>> my Video Drivers. Also suggested I try and install SP2 from the
>> Network install instead of windows Updates.
>>
>> I then did that. New Clean Win XP Pro Install. Installed just the
>> Intel Driver from the Soyo CD. Added in the 15 critical updates.
>> Checked Windows Update and it wanted me to install SP2. So I
>> installed SP2 from a Network Install of SP2 I downloaded from MS. I
>> did not install my Video Card drivers. After Installing SP2 and
>> rebooting it again hangs on the Splash screen after the progress bar
>> goes across a few times.
>>
>> This machine only has my video card in it and is super vanilla. It
>> seems likely that SP2 is incompatible with my MotherBoard and BIOS.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm that they have XP Pro and SP2 working on a
>> SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 (3 memory slots (non v1.0))?
>>
>> I don't have enough faith in my Floppy to risk flashing the BIOS up to

Hi Ron,
I've already upgraded to the latest P4IP2_2BA2. What is this "Intel
Frequency ID utility" that you speak of ? Also, this bug you speak of,
by renaming %windir%\system32\drivers\update.sys, should that allow the
SP2 update to work.

Thanks,
Flavio.

Ron Reaugh wrote:

> [...]
>>my Video Drivers. Also suggested I try and install SP2 from the
>>Network install instead of windows Updates.
>>
>>I then did that. New Clean Win XP Pro Install. Installed just the
>>Intel Driver from the Soyo CD. Added in the 15 critical updates.
>>Checked Windows Update and it wanted me to install SP2. So I
>>installed SP2 from a Network Install of SP2 I downloaded from MS. I
>>did not install my Video Card drivers. After Installing SP2 and
>>rebooting it again hangs on the Splash screen after the progress bar
>>goes across a few times.
>>
>>This machine only has my video card in it and is super vanilla. It
>>seems likely that SP2 is incompatible with my MotherBoard and BIOS.
>>
>>Can anyone confirm that they have XP Pro and SP2 working on a
>>SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 (3 memory slots (non v1.0))?
>>
>>I don't have enough faith in my Floppy to risk flashing the BIOS up to

Hi Jim,
the 865 board you speak of, was it a SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 Prescott
Ready (not version 1), that worked ?

Thanks,
Flavio.

"Jim B" <knuckles6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Interesting information, I've put SP-2 on one 865 board and one 845 board
> with no problems at all but have an Abit 875 board that won't take it.

But with a Prescott?

www.intel.com

> Also, this bug you speak of,
> by renaming %windir%\system32\drivers\update.sys, should that allow the
> SP2 update to work.

Yes, but flashing and leaving update.sys alone is better IF that works.

> [...]
> >>my Video Drivers. Also suggested I try and install SP2 from the
> >>Network install instead of windows Updates.
> >>
> >>I then did that. New Clean Win XP Pro Install. Installed just the
> >>Intel Driver from the Soyo CD. Added in the 15 critical updates.
> >>Checked Windows Update and it wanted me to install SP2. So I
> >>installed SP2 from a Network Install of SP2 I downloaded from MS. I
> >>did not install my Video Card drivers. After Installing SP2 and
> >>rebooting it again hangs on the Splash screen after the progress bar
> >>goes across a few times.
> >>
> >>This machine only has my video card in it and is super vanilla. It
> >>seems likely that SP2 is incompatible with my MotherBoard and BIOS.
> >>
> >>Can anyone confirm that they have XP Pro and SP2 working on a
> >>SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 (3 memory slots (non v1.0))?
> >>
> >>I don't have enough faith in my Floppy to risk flashing the BIOS up to

Ah another Prescott.

See:
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7447
www.coribright.com

> [...]
> my Video Drivers. Also suggested I try and install SP2 from the
> Network install instead of windows Updates.
>
> I then did that. New Clean Win XP Pro Install. Installed just the
> Intel Driver from the Soyo CD. Added in the 15 critical updates.
> Checked Windows Update and it wanted me to install SP2. So I
> installed SP2 from a Network Install of SP2 I downloaded from MS. I
> did not install my Video Card drivers. After Installing SP2 and
> rebooting it again hangs on the Splash screen after the progress bar
> goes across a few times.
>
> This machine only has my video card in it and is super vanilla. It
> seems likely that SP2 is incompatible with my MotherBoard and BIOS.
>
> Can anyone confirm that they have XP Pro and SP2 working on a
> SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 (3 memory slots (non v1.0))?
>
> I don't have enough faith in my Floppy to risk flashing the BIOS up to

P4IP2_2BA1 with my 2.8 P4 Prescott reports a Revision code of 0.

Thanks for all the help. I shall either try and find a new floppy and
install the new BIOS up to P4IP2_2BA2 or I shall install SP2 and
replace its update.sys with the one from SP1.

Thanks,
FLX

Sorry no it wasn't a Prescott, but the Abit 875 doesn't have a prescott
either and it won't take SP-2.

> "Jim B" <knuckles6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Interesting information, I've put SP-2 on one 865 board and one 845 board
>> with no problems at all but have an Abit 875 board that won't take it.
>
> But with a Prescott?
>
>> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "XODAR" <VANADIA_AO@EXCITE.COM> wrote in message

>> > That guy or their organization is incompetent then as this is a known
>> > issue
>> > Intel 865/875+Prescott+SP2+out-of-date-CPU-microcode.
>> >
>> > Flash this:
>> > 865l2ba2.bin
>> > This upgrade requires Awdflash.exe
>> > 2004-08-03
>> > SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 BIOS Revision: P4IP2_2BA2
>> >
>> > See if that helps. A workaround is to coverup the MS bug behind it by
>> > renaming
>> > %windir%\system32\drivers\update.sys
>> >
>> > Use the Intel Frequency ID utility to assure that "CPU revision >= 8"
>> > after
>> > the mobo BIOS flash. Likely it's now < 7.

Xodar,
I called their tech support yesterday and they immediately
verified that they will be releasing a new version of the bios
in a week or two. I would wait for that release. Also you must
get version 8.31 of the awdflash utility in order to flash your
bios or you will not be able to. The awdflash on their site was
only 8.22 (2 weeks ago when I downloaded it from them).

I got and ran the Frequency ID utility that Ron spoke of, and
mine also reported a Rev code of 0, just like yours. The new
bios will update this value to 8.

Post back when you finally have success, and I'll do the same.

Flavio
In article <d08d24ce.0409010636.55468c56@posting.google.com>,
VANADIA_AO@EXCITE.COM says...

"flavio" <flavioantonucci@yahooremovethis.ca> wrote in message
> Xodar,
> I called their tech support yesterday and they immediately
> verified that they will be releasing a new version of the bios
> in a week or two. I would wait for that release. Also you must
> get version 8.31 of the awdflash utility in order to flash your
> bios or you will not be able to. The awdflash on their site was
> only 8.22 (2 weeks ago when I downloaded it from them).
>
> I got and ran the Frequency ID utility that Ron spoke of, and
> mine also reported a Rev code of 0, just like yours.

Apparently =0 means that Prescott was not supported at all microcode wise.

> The new
> bios will update this value to 8.
>
> Post back when you finally have success, and I'll do the same.
>
> Flavio
> In article <d08d24ce.0409010636.55468c56@posting.google.com>,
> VANADIA_AO@EXCITE.COM says...
> > P4IP2_2BA1 with my 2.8 P4 Prescott reports a Revision code of 0.
> >
> > Thanks for all the help. I shall either try and find a new floppy and
> > install the new BIOS up to P4IP2_2BA2 or I shall install SP2 and
> > replace its update.sys with the one from SP1.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > FLX

Microsoft now has a patch that you can put on before you put on SP2
that lets SP2 work with a Prescott chip with a Motherboard with out of
date microcode.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885626

Put this update on then SP2 seems to work no problem. Worked fine for
me.

Looks like Soyo took down BA2. Hopefully they are making a BA3.

Good Luck,
XODAR

Soyo put up another copy of BA2 on September 23rd. After Flashing to
this BIOS my CPU Revision now states that is Revision B. Not 8 but a
letter B for some reason. Still this should be better than Revision
code 0.

Hopefully this shall make my problems go away.

Thanks,
XODAR

> Soyo put up another copy of BA2 on September 23rd. After Flashing to
> this BIOS my CPU Revision now states that is Revision B. Not 8 but a
> letter B for some reason.

B is 11 and that's a typical version folks are seeing.

> Still this should be better than Revision
> code 0.

0 means no microcode loaded and therefore no real Prescott support.

> Hopefully this shall make my problems go away.

For the SP2 boot hang issue, yes.

> VANADIA_AO@EXCITE.COM (XODAR) wrote in message
> > Microsoft now has a patch that you can put on before you put on SP2
> > that lets SP2 work with a Prescott chip with a Motherboard with out of
> > date microcode.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885626
> >
> > Put this update on then SP2 seems to work no problem. Worked fine for
> > me.
> >
> > Looks like Soyo took down BA2. Hopefully they are making a BA3.
> >
> > Good Luck,
> > XODAR

Hey folks,
I just replaced my 865l2ba2 bios with the updated version (I
can't understand for the life of me why they wouldn't have named
it 865l2ba3 or something else).

Now when I run the frequency id utility, it shows a value of 7.

Some of you are reporting a value of B=11. Mine is P4i865PE
(Prescott ready, not Version 1, and a 3.0Ghz P4 Prescott chip).

Report back when you attempt the SP2 install please.

Flavio.
In article <Da45d.427393$OB3.110042@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, rondashreaugh@att.net says...

Flavio <flavioantonucci@yahooremovethis.ca> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bbf46293a2e6c509896c2@nntp.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> Hey folks,
> I just replaced my 865l2ba2 bios with the updated version (I
> can't understand for the life of me why they wouldn't have named
> it 865l2ba3 or something else).
>
> Now when I run the frequency id utility, it shows a value of 7.
>
> Some of you are reporting a value of B=11. Mine is P4i865PE
> (Prescott ready, not Version 1, and a 3.0Ghz P4 Prescott chip).
>
> Report back when you attempt the SP2 install please.
>
> Flavio.
> In article <Da45d.427393$OB3.110042@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, rondashreaugh@att.net says...
> >
> > "XODAR" <VANADIA_AO@EXCITE.COM> wrote in message
> > > Soyo put up another copy of BA2 on September 23rd. After Flashing to
> > > this BIOS my CPU Revision now states that is Revision B. Not 8 but a
> > > letter B for some reason.
> >
> > B is 11 and that's a typical version folks are seeing.
> >
> > > Still this should be better than Revision
> > > code 0.
> >
> > 0 means no microcode loaded and therefore no real Prescott support.
> >
> > > Hopefully this shall make my problems go away.
> >
> > For the SP2 boot hang issue, yes.
> >
> > > VANADIA_AO@EXCITE.COM (XODAR) wrote in message

Flavio,
I too have just install the BIOS BA2. I am using the P4 3.0E CPU on
the P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 motherboard. And like you, the freq. ID
utility also shows 7. I got this from the following site which will
be comforting to you.
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Boot_or_shutdown_problems_after_Service_P

To check whether the BlOS is at the correct level download the Intel
Processor Frequency ID utility from
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/frequencyid/. The
microcode version is identified by this utility as "CPU Revision".

Family 15 (0xF), model 3, stepping 4 – must have a microcode update
signature of at least 8. Latest microcode update signature is E.

Family 15 (0xF), model 3, stepping 3 – must have a microcode update
signature of at least 7. Latest microcode update signature is B.

Family 15 (0xF), model 3, stepping 2 – must have a microcode update
signature of at least 7. Latest microcode update signature is A.

The 3.0E CPU belongs to Family 15, Model 3, Stepping 3. So a CPU
revision of 7 just makes the cut for SP2 to work. Why ZODAR reports a
revision B after the update, I have no idea; Unless he is using the
different CPU. In any case, with revision 7, I went ahead and
installed SP2 and everything seems to work fine. So I would think
yours will work as well.

Good Luck,
ZieBar

"Flavio" <flavioantonucci@yahooremovethis.ca> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
> I just replaced my 865l2ba2 bios with the updated version (I
> can't understand for the life of me why they wouldn't have named
> it 865l2ba3 or something else).
>
> Now when I run the frequency id utility, it shows a value of 7.

7 may be ok as there are different Prescott steppings. Try SP2.

> Some of you are reporting a value of B=11. Mine is P4i865PE
> (Prescott ready, not Version 1, and a 3.0Ghz P4 Prescott chip).
>
> Report back when you attempt the SP2 install please.
>
> Flavio.
> In article <Da45d.427393$OB3.110042@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, rondashreaugh@att.net says...
> >
> > "XODAR" <VANADIA_AO@EXCITE.COM> wrote in message
> > > Soyo put up another copy of BA2 on September 23rd. After Flashing to
> > > this BIOS my CPU Revision now states that is Revision B. Not 8 but a
> > > letter B for some reason.
> >
> > B is 11 and that's a typical version folks are seeing.
> >
> > > Still this should be better than Revision
> > > code 0.
> >
> > 0 means no microcode loaded and therefore no real Prescott support.
> >
> > > Hopefully this shall make my problems go away.
> >
> > For the SP2 boot hang issue, yes.
> >
> > > VANADIA_AO@EXCITE.COM (XODAR) wrote in message

Thanks for the updates folks. I'll attempt my SP2 later today.

Thank god for the net because soyo's website sure isn't what it
should be.

Flavio.

In article <Y%k5d.431851$OB3.167809@bgtnsc05-