After doing an XP Upgrade, CD Drive no longer works in Win..

I have just upgraded several Dell GX260 desktops from Windows 2000 Pro., to
Windows XP Pro. On one machine, there was a different configuration for the
CD/DVD drive. There was an external DVD Writer from HP attached. This caused
a blue screen on reboot, which pointed to a driver CDR4_2k.sys. I disabled
that driver, removed the HP device, and removed all software associated with
it. Now I can not get the internal cd device to work. It works in DOS, but
once XP starts there is no device listed. The device driver window states
there is a problem, but not help from the troubleshooting. Any suggestions?

Mike
1 answer Last reply
More about after upgrade drive longer works

    CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, ­Code 32,
    Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Wi­ndows XP

    To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

    1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    [Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter]

    2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

    4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

    6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value,
    if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need
    to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

    7. Restart your computer.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Mike from Connecticut (CEA)" wrote:

    | I have just upgraded several Dell GX260 desktops from Windows 2000 Pro., to
    | Windows XP Pro. On one machine, there was a different configuration for the
    | CD/DVD drive. There was an external DVD Writer from HP attached. This caused
    | a blue screen on reboot, which pointed to a driver CDR4_2k.sys. I disabled
    | that driver, removed the HP device, and removed all software associated with
    | it. Now I can not get the internal cd device to work. It works in DOS, but
    | once XP starts there is no device listed. The device driver window states
    | there is a problem, but not help from the troubleshooting. Any suggestions?
    |
    | Mike

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
    Tested on: 5/9/2005 10:55:50 AM

Windows XP