PC doesn't recognize external devices, USB related.

I seem to be having a problem with my PC and USB devices. It stopped
recognizing that they've been plugged in. I've tried deleting/reinstalling
the drivers and doing a format C: but it only solves the problem temporarly.
More particularly, the devices it doesn't recognize is my external HD, my
mouse and my iPod. I've tried all of those on other PC's and they work
perfectly there.

My PC is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A x630 with Windows XP SP2. From what I've
read so far it seems to probably be something about conflicting drivers
however I am not sure how to fix that or even if that is the problem.

If somebody could please help me it would be much appereciated.

- Michael Petersen

Michael, are you using a USB Powered Hub?
"Michael Petersen" <Michael Petersen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F4D93AD8-0BA6-470C-AD19-5FD1EBBA9052@microsoft.com...
>I seem to be having a problem with my PC and USB devices. It stopped
> recognizing that they've been plugged in. I've tried deleting/reinstalling
> the drivers and doing a format C: but it only solves the problem
> temporarly.
> More particularly, the devices it doesn't recognize is my external HD, my
> mouse and my iPod. I've tried all of those on other PC's and they work
> perfectly there.
>
> My PC is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A x630 with Windows XP SP2. From what
> I've
> read so far it seems to probably be something about conflicting drivers
> however I am not sure how to fix that or even if that is the problem.
>
> If somebody could please help me it would be much appereciated.
>
> - Michael Petersen

I suppose by hub you mean an external hub? If so then no, I just got my
laptop and anything plugged into it goes unnoticed by the USB plugs.

Michael Petersen wrote:
> I seem to be having a problem with my PC and USB devices. It stopped
> recognizing that they've been plugged in. I've tried
> deleting/reinstalling the drivers and doing a format C: but it only
> solves the problem temporarly. More particularly, the devices it
> doesn't recognize is my external HD, my mouse and my iPod. I've tried
> all of those on other PC's and they work perfectly there.
>
> My PC is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A x630 with Windows XP SP2. From
> what I've read so far it seems to probably be something about
> conflicting drivers however I am not sure how to fix that or even if
> that is the problem.
>
> If somebody could please help me it would be much appereciated.
>
> - Michael Petersen

Hi,

I solved the same problem today, thanks to an earlier post on this group.

Open Device Mgr.
For each unknown device, right click->update driver->select manual->point to
C:\Windows\Inf .
It takes some time, hold on ...

Good luck,
Fr.