No glue what error I got with my KT600 board...or is the p..

Have a KT600 Dragon Plus from Soyo and since a few days my computer does
not switch off "totally" when shutting down windows (does not depend on
the OS version, have dual boot, both XP and 98SE have the same effect),
means the fan from the power supply is still working, but with about
half the rotation speed (but it differs from the noise it makes when
selecting Hibernation/Sleep Mode).
If I switch off the power supply by the power supply switch, and switch
it on again, the same happens, the power supply fan is rotating with
half speed but the computer is not really "on" and working.
After pushing the soft switch, the PC is booting but a short time my
optical mouse flashes (looks like the voltage is too low).
And after windows is up, my (build in) ethernet is not working, it shows
no error in the device manager but my PC does not get an IP address from
the DHCP (I own a router with a build in DHCP).
Pulling the network cable and replugging the ethernet results in most
cases in success and then the PC is working like the desaster before.

BUT I'm unsure now what is the reason or what should I repair ...
Is the (main) power supply of my PC not working correct or is my
motherboard out of order ?
If the power supply is out of order, why is it working as usual after
pressing the soft switch ?
I just want to get a silent PC, means the power supply should NOT
working when shutting down the PC.
Any hints are welcome.

Regards
Peter

Peter Smith schrieb:
> Have a KT600 Dragon Plus from Soyo and since a few days my computer does
> not switch off "totally" when shutting down windows (does not depend on
> the OS version [...]
> If I switch off the power supply by the power supply switch, and switch
> it on again, the same happens, the power supply fan is rotating with
> half speed but the computer is not really "on" and working.
> [...]
> If the power supply is out of order, why is it working as usual after
> pressing the soft switch ?
> I just want to get a silent PC, means the power supply should NOT
> working when shutting down the PC.
> Any hints are welcome.

That was a bad expirience - nobody has any hints for me.
But luckily I discovered it by myself.
The error could be found in the power supply. After replacing it, all is
working as before, no more errors nor any other strange behaviour.
And, the defective power supply was still working in "switched on" mode
(after pressing the soft button).
I decided to publish this solution of the problem because nobody should
have the same problem without any help like me.

Regards
Peter