Basic electical question for hooking wires to motherboard

This is such a basic question I feel dumb asking, but I am setting up a new
computer and can't remember and the manuals are minimal help. I am hooking
up the power, reset and hard drive wires. They are all a different color
and white. Which one is positive and which one is negative? The manual for
the case does not say and I know I should remember this from college but I
just cannot. Thanks in advance.

"Robert Loblaw" <fatelvis@canada.com> wrote in message news:%23yCRQgaVFHA.3432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> This is such a basic question I feel dumb asking, but I am setting up a new
> computer and can't remember and the manuals are minimal help. I am hooking
> up the power, reset and hard drive wires. They are all a different color
> and white. Which one is positive and which one is negative? The manual for
> the case does not say and I know I should remember this from college but I
> just cannot. Thanks in advance.

In my experience, the color that is common to all of the
plugs is negative.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Interesting, I am having a similar problem. Well I have played with all
possibilities and still basically nothing. What happens now is the fans
power on for 1 sec and the led's flash and then everything powers off. If I
unplug I can do the same again.

"Bob Day" wrote:

> "Robert Loblaw" <fatelvis@canada.com> wrote in message news:%23yCRQgaVFHA.3432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > This is such a basic question I feel dumb asking, but I am setting up a new
> > computer and can't remember and the manuals are minimal help. I am hooking
> > up the power, reset and hard drive wires. They are all a different color
> > and white. Which one is positive and which one is negative? The manual for
> > the case does not say and I know I should remember this from college but I
> > just cannot. Thanks in advance.
>
> In my experience, the color that is common to all of the
> plugs is negative.
>
> -- Bob Day
> http://bobday.vze.com

Whenever I set up a new computer I always use the manual. I seldom find them
wrong!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Robert Loblaw" <fatelvis@canada.com> wrote in message
> This is such a basic question I feel dumb asking, but I am setting up a
> new computer and can't remember and the manuals are minimal help. I am
> hooking up the power, reset and hard drive wires. They are all a
> different color and white. Which one is positive and which one is
> negative? The manual for the case does not say and I know I should
> remember this from college but I just cannot. Thanks in advance.

Well the closest the manual says to being helpful is always have the label
on the wire facing the front. Which makes me wonder how they know how all
motherboards are built.

> Whenever I set up a new computer I always use the manual. I seldom find
> them wrong!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "Robert Loblaw" <fatelvis@canada.com> wrote in message
>> This is such a basic question I feel dumb asking, but I am setting up a
>> new computer and can't remember and the manuals are minimal help. I am
>> hooking up the power, reset and hard drive wires. They are all a
>> different color and white. Which one is positive and which one is
>> negative? The manual for the case does not say and I know I should
>> remember this from college but I just cannot. Thanks in advance.

For power red is "usually" positive, White/black is "usually" negative. As
far as speaker connection goes it doesn't matter - as long as it works. Even
with the LED's, a temporary reversed connection will just cause the LED to
not fire. Reverse the leads and it will now work. A switch plug - doesn't
matter at all as there is no polarity with a switch in a computer.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Well the closest the manual says to being helpful is always have the label
> on the wire facing the front. Which makes me wonder how they know how all
> motherboards are built.

>> Whenever I set up a new computer I always use the manual. I seldom find
>> them wrong!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

>> "Robert Loblaw" <fatelvis@canada.com> wrote in message
>>> This is such a basic question I feel dumb asking, but I am setting up a
>>> new computer and can't remember and the manuals are minimal help. I am
>>> hooking up the power, reset and hard drive wires. They are all a
>>> different color and white. Which one is positive and which one is
>>> negative? The manual for the case does not say and I know I should
>>> remember this from college but I just cannot. Thanks in advance.

In article <#yCRQgaVFHA.3432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, fatelvis@canada.com
says...
> This is such a basic question I feel dumb asking, but I am setting up a new
> computer and can't remember and the manuals are minimal help. I am hooking
> up the power, reset and hard drive wires. They are all a different color
> and white. Which one is positive and which one is negative? The manual for
> the case does not say and I know I should remember this from college but I
> just cannot. Thanks in advance.

On most of them it doesn't really matter, you can connect them backwards
long enough to test without damaging them. If you only connect them for
a couple seconds and they don't illuminate then you've got them on the
wrong way.

Each case vendor has their own standards for colors and polarity, I
don't think I've looked at a manual for it in years - just connect them,
turn the PC on, and reverse any that don't illuminate.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Thanks. I alway thought there was a universal way of having the wires, but
I guess I was wrong. I will try randomly as you suggest.

> In article <#yCRQgaVFHA.3432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, fatelvis@canada.com
> says...
>> This is such a basic question I feel dumb asking, but I am setting up a
>> new
>> computer and can't remember and the manuals are minimal help. I am
>> hooking
>> up the power, reset and hard drive wires. They are all a different color
>> and white. Which one is positive and which one is negative? The manual
>> for
>> the case does not say and I know I should remember this from college but
>> just cannot. Thanks in advance.
>
> On most of them it doesn't really matter, you can connect them backwards
> long enough to test without damaging them. If you only connect them for
> a couple seconds and they don't illuminate then you've got them on the
> wrong way.
>
> Each case vendor has their own standards for colors and polarity, I
> don't think I've looked at a manual for it in years - just connect them,
> turn the PC on, and reverse any that don't illuminate.

> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

A short in the computer will do that. A good power supply is going to have a
thermal overload instead of a fuse. When the short overheats the thermal
will open. By unplugging the cord and then re-energizing the computer you
are likely giving it enough time to cool down and reset - till the next
time.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

In article <O4dYdMbVFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
> As far as speaker connection goes it doesn't matter -
> as long as it works.

You may want to check on this one, I was told that on Woofers and some
other quality speakers that polarity does matter. While I have no reason
to suspect otherwise, I've always hooked my speakers up paying attention
to polarity.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Right, but inside the computer case you usually have a tiny piezoelectric or
1" cone speaker with 200-2000hz frequency response! A woofer would not
physically fit in the case. (-;

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

In article <#Gcx$hbVFHA.3920@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
> Right, but inside the computer case you usually have a tiny piezoelectric or
> 1" cone speaker with 200-2000hz frequency response! A woofer would not
> physically fit in the case. (-;

Sorry, I was thinking without my logic fuse in place. That let me wander
into general areas instead of keeping me in the protected confines of
this discussion :)

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Don't become like that "other guy" in the power supply thread! (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

In article <F978F828-AB4A-4DC4-BEA0-59DD38164602@microsoft.com>,
Steve@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Interesting, I am having a similar problem. Well I have played with all
> possibilities and still basically nothing. What happens now is the fans
> power on for 1 sec and the led's flash and then everything powers off. If I
> unplug I can do the same again.

The power switch is really the only thing used on modern P4 machines
(home user class) and should be an OPEN unless pushed, once pushed it
will short the contact on the motherboard to signal a power-up
condition. In the old days they used a toggle switch that would maintain
the state until switched the other direction.

Even if you remove everything except the Power switch, and you have RAM,
and Video, it would at least POST - you should be able to get into the
BIOS. If you can't get that far, then you've mis-seated the motherboard
or installed the RAM/Video incorrectly.

Oh, you will need the PSU cables installed properly from the PSU to the
motherboard, but you don't have to connect them to the drives.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Or, you have screwed the bios as I did in the past fooling around with
overclocking! What a trip to get my M/B functional again. And dumass here
did it on his main machine! Hell, I have 3 others I could have played on.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> In article <F978F828-AB4A-4DC4-BEA0-59DD38164602@microsoft.com>,
> Steve@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>> Interesting, I am having a similar problem. Well I have played with all
>> possibilities and still basically nothing. What happens now is the fans
>> power on for 1 sec and the led's flash and then everything powers off.
>> If I
>> unplug I can do the same again.
>
> The power switch is really the only thing used on modern P4 machines
> (home user class) and should be an OPEN unless pushed, once pushed it
> will short the contact on the motherboard to signal a power-up
> condition. In the old days they used a toggle switch that would maintain
> the state until switched the other direction.
>
> Even if you remove everything except the Power switch, and you have RAM,
> and Video, it would at least POST - you should be able to get into the
> BIOS. If you can't get that far, then you've mis-seated the motherboard
> or installed the RAM/Video incorrectly.
>
> Oh, you will need the PSU cables installed properly from the PSU to the
> motherboard, but you don't have to connect them to the drives.

> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Well I know it shouldn't be the bios as I haven't been able to get to it. I
know its not the video as I am using the on board video at this point. The
ram can only go in one way so I will rule that out. What is meant by
motherboard not seated right?

> Or, you have screwed the bios as I did in the past fooling around with
> overclocking! What a trip to get my M/B functional again. And dumass here
> did it on his main machine! Hell, I have 3 others I could have played on.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> In article <F978F828-AB4A-4DC4-BEA0-59DD38164602@microsoft.com>,
>> Steve@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>>> Interesting, I am having a similar problem. Well I have played with all
>>> possibilities and still basically nothing. What happens now is the fans
>>> power on for 1 sec and the led's flash and then everything powers off.
>>> If I
>>> unplug I can do the same again.
>>
>> The power switch is really the only thing used on modern P4 machines
>> (home user class) and should be an OPEN unless pushed, once pushed it
>> will short the contact on the motherboard to signal a power-up
>> condition. In the old days they used a toggle switch that would maintain
>> the state until switched the other direction.
>>
>> Even if you remove everything except the Power switch, and you have RAM,
>> and Video, it would at least POST - you should be able to get into the
>> BIOS. If you can't get that far, then you've mis-seated the motherboard
>> or installed the RAM/Video incorrectly.
>>
>> Oh, you will need the PSU cables installed properly from the PSU to the
>> motherboard, but you don't have to connect them to the drives.
>>

>> --
>> --
>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>> remove 999 in order to email me

Steve:-
If I understand correctly you say that you get momentary power to the fans
and the LEDs and then nothing.
Unplugging and replugging the power cable to the case repeats this.

If this is correct then you still haven't pushed the power button on your
case after plugging in the power cable.

SS

In article <eZCz#rbVFHA.3432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
> Don't become like that "other guy" in the power supply thread! (-:

You know, if I had a couple beers and a percaset, this would be a great
evening.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

In article <eUkiy6cVFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, mrgrocery@hotmail.cm
says...
> Well I know it shouldn't be the bios as I haven't been able to get to it. I
> know its not the video as I am using the on board video at this point. The
> ram can only go in one way so I will rule that out. What is meant by
> motherboard not seated right?

I was guessing that you installed a motherboard in a case yourself - if
you installed it and shorted out a circuit (electrical trace on the
board) with a stand-off / screw, or if you over-torqued the screws, you
may have a bad motherboard.

If the unit won't post, and you get some LED's for a flash, and no beeps
(connect the PC speaker to test), then you either have bad RAM, bad CPU,
bad power, or a bad motherboard (since the video is built-into the
board).

If you check the stand-offs / screws, and none are in the wrong
position, take the computer to a shop and have them test it.

One last thing, if you have two sticks of RAM, and your board supports
booting with just one, try it with just one.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Sorry I missed telling a step. If I press the power switch, the led
flashes, the fans go for a second and then nothing. If I press the power
again nothing happens until I unplug and replug the power cord in and then
when I hit the power again it happens again.

"SS" <arvind5972--REMOVECAPSANDDASHES--@msn.com> wrote in message
> Steve:-
> If I understand correctly you say that you get momentary power to the fans
> and the LEDs and then nothing.
> Unplugging and replugging the power cable to the case repeats this.
>
> If this is correct then you still haven't pushed the power button on your
> case after plugging in the power cable.
>
> SS
>

> "Steve" <mrgrocery@hotmail.cm> wrote in message
>> Well I know it shouldn't be the bios as I haven't been able to get to it.
>> I know its not the video as I am using the on board video at this point.
>> The ram can only go in one way so I will rule that out. What is meant by
>> motherboard not seated right?
>>

>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Or, you have screwed the bios as I did in the past fooling around with
>>> overclocking! What a trip to get my M/B functional again. And dumass
>>> here did it on his main machine! Hell, I have 3 others I could have
>>> played on.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I did install myself. It is the 10th time I have built from scratch. Last
ngiht I checked further and decided it was best to take into local shop as
there can be too many variables that I don't have time or resourses to
check. Thanks for the help.

> In article <eUkiy6cVFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, mrgrocery@hotmail.cm
> says...
>> Well I know it shouldn't be the bios as I haven't been able to get to it.
>> know its not the video as I am using the on board video at this point.
>> The
>> ram can only go in one way so I will rule that out. What is meant by
>> motherboard not seated right?
>
> I was guessing that you installed a motherboard in a case yourself - if
> you installed it and shorted out a circuit (electrical trace on the
> board) with a stand-off / screw, or if you over-torqued the screws, you
> may have a bad motherboard.
>
> If the unit won't post, and you get some LED's for a flash, and no beeps
> (connect the PC speaker to test), then you either have bad RAM, bad CPU,
> bad power, or a bad motherboard (since the video is built-into the
> board).
>
> If you check the stand-offs / screws, and none are in the wrong
> position, take the computer to a shop and have them test it.
>
> One last thing, if you have two sticks of RAM, and your board supports
> booting with just one, try it with just one.

> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

That is was one of the possibilitied I thought of. By coincendence the
motherboard instructions are wrong for this jumper.

"Admiral Michael" <Admiral.Michael.1outtd@no-mx.forum.osnn.net> wrote in
message news:Admiral.Michael.1outtd@no-mx.forum.osnn.net...

> how about the Clear CMOS jumper, a board I purchased was in the "Clear"
> option by default, in order for it to boot I had to change it to "Run"
> (or whatever the option is)
>

> --
> Admiral Michael
> Admiral Michael's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=72
> View this thread: http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=72388

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Turns out to be a fubared power supply. A new one is order so hopefully it
will be here soon.

>A short in the computer will do that. A good power supply is going to have
>a thermal overload instead of a fuse. When the short overheats the thermal
>will open. By unplugging the cord and then re-energizing the computer you
>are likely giving it enough time to cool down and reset - till the next
>time.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Interesting, I am having a similar problem. Well I have played with all
>> possibilities and still basically nothing. What happens now is the fans
>> power on for 1 sec and the led's flash and then everything powers off.
>> If I
>> unplug I can do the same again.
>>
>> "Bob Day" wrote:
>>
>>> "Robert Loblaw" <fatelvis@canada.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> In my experience, the color that is common to all of the
>>> plugs is negative.
>>>
>>> -- Bob Day
>>> http://bobday.vze.com

Tim

It can also be shorted Reset switch or Power switch.