DVD drive won't work

valerie

I have a HP Pavilion Desktop, with a DVD dive. My problem is that the DVD
drive will not work dispite all my efforts. When I put any kind of disk in
it, nothing happens. when I try to get it to read manually it says theres no
disk in the drive. I tried uninstalling/re-installing the driver, but I don't
think its uninstalling. I clicked uninstall and the whole drive dissappeared,
didn't even ask me to reboot. then I rebooted and the PC "detected new
hardware" and there it was. I didn't do any thing, it was like I had never
uninstalled it. I tried to update the dirves and it said they were up to date
already. I could use a litte help please?

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, ­Code 32,
Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Wi­ndows XP

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
[Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter]

2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value,
if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need
to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Valerie" wrote:

| I have a HP Pavilion Desktop, with a DVD dive. My problem is that the DVD
| drive will not work dispite all my efforts. When I put any kind of disk in
| it, nothing happens. when I try to get it to read manually it says theres no
| disk in the drive. I tried uninstalling/re-installing the driver, but I don't
| think its uninstalling. I clicked uninstall and the whole drive dissappeared,
| didn't even ask me to reboot. then I rebooted and the PC "detected new
| hardware" and there it was. I didn't do any thing, it was like I had never
| uninstalled it. I tried to update the dirves and it said they were up to date
| already. I could use a litte help please?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
Tested on: 5/10/2005 5:00:49 PM

valerie

k, wow thats a lot. I don't have rw programs, I'm not trying to record or
anything, I just want to play my games, lol. I don't think I have service
pack 2 either. Nothing will read at all, no DVD's no CD's nothing. it opens
and closes but it always thinks theres nothing in there and that its working
fine. uninstalling/re-installing drivers doesn't seem to be working either.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, ­Code 32,
> Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Wi­ndows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060
>
> To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
>
> 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
> [Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter]
>
> 2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
>
> 3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
>
> 4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
>
> 5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
>
> 6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value,
> if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need
> to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.
>
> 7. Restart your computer.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

Visit http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php#cdgone and click on
"Restore Missing CD Drive".

Autoplay Repair Wizard
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Valerie" wrote:

| k, wow thats a lot. I don't have rw programs, I'm not trying to record or
| anything, I just want to play my games, lol. I don't think I have service
| pack 2 either. Nothing will read at all, no DVD's no CD's nothing. it opens
| and closes but it always thinks theres nothing in there and that its working
| fine. uninstalling/re-installing drivers doesn't seem to be working either.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
Tested on: 5/10/2005 5:31:23 PM

Valerie wrote:
> I have a HP Pavilion Desktop, with a DVD dive. My problem is that the
> DVD drive will not work dispite all my efforts. When I put any kind
> of disk in it, nothing happens. when I try to get it to read manually
> it says theres no disk in the drive. I tried
> uninstalling/re-installing the driver, but I don't think its
> uninstalling. I clicked uninstall and the whole drive dissappeared,
> didn't even ask me to reboot. then I rebooted and the PC "detected
> new hardware" and there it was. I didn't do any thing, it was like I
> had never uninstalled it. I tried to update the dirves and it said
> they were up to date already. I could use a litte help please?

Val,

I think you may have to concede the drive is shot. Optical drives don't
require drivers, which was why Windows detected it automatically. You can
easily replace it (Pavillions use standard drives - about the only part of
them that is) - a DVD burner will set you back around £25-£30 if you know
where to look. I'm using an NEC 3520 that I paid £30 for about a month ago.
Brilliant - I burnt 10 CDs this morning in little over half-an-hour.

valerie

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:
> Val,
>
> I think you may have to concede the drive is shot. Optical drives don't
> require drivers, which was why Windows detected it automatically. You can
> easily replace it (Pavillions use standard drives - about the only part of
> them that is) - a DVD burner will set you back around £25-£30 if you know
> where to look. I'm using an NEC 3520 that I paid £30 for about a month ago.
> Brilliant - I burnt 10 CDs this morning in little over half-an-hour.

Well, as I said earlier, I'm not trying to, nor do I have any interest in
burning CD's or DVD's, I just want it to READ the discs, so I can play my
games, lol. But yes you may be right in that it probably is shot. My friend
also mentioned this to me as a possibility. So I guess I'm goint to have to
get a new one ; ) Thanks to everybody who replied and tried to help me out,
it was greatly apreciated.