Brother laser - toner cartridge question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
July 13, 2004 1:28:23 PM

I have a Brother HL1440. On March 24, I replaced the toner cartridge
with a TN460, which is supposed to yield 6,000 pages. The printer is
now flashing a low-toner warning. I average less than 10 pages per
day, no graphics, just plain text. Have other folks had their Brother
toner cartridges run out so soon?
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:30:38 AM

Sounds like your printing coverage is more than 5%.

A full page of 10 point text text uses 3 times the estimated
coverage produced by the 5% standard. If you are printing with larger font
sizes and any graphics the page yield drops even further.

Possibly you could have a low toner sensor error, as 1200 pages does sound a
little low.

--
WeInk.com Technical Support
Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
"Steve" <htr@wfc.inv> wrote in message
> I have a Brother HL1440. On March 24, I replaced the toner cartridge
> with a TN460, which is supposed to yield 6,000 pages. The printer is
> now flashing a low-toner warning. I average less than 10 pages per
> day, no graphics, just plain text. Have other folks had their Brother
> toner cartridges run out so soon?

July 14, 2004 1:30:39 AM

"WeInk.com Technical Support" >Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
>> I have a Brother HL1440. On March 24, I replaced the toner cartridge
>> with a TN460, which is supposed to yield 6,000 pages. The printer is
>> now flashing a low-toner warning. I average less than 10 pages per
>> day, no graphics, just plain text. Have other folks had their Brother
>> toner cartridges run out so soon?

>Sounds like your printing coverage is more than 5%.
>A full page of 10 point text text uses 3 times the estimated
>coverage produced by the 5% standard. If you are printing with larger font
>sizes and any graphics the page yield drops even further.

Thanks. So when they advertise 6,000 pages, it really means 2,000
full pages, or 6,000 pages that are 2/3 blank? Seems kinda misleading
to me...
Related resources
July 14, 2004 5:01:11 AM

"Steve" <htr@wfc.inv> wrote in message
news:p jt8f01ocsv00ojt7ndjj4i61ffv1qaar6@4ax.com...
> "WeInk.com Technical Support" >Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
> >> I have a Brother HL1440. On March 24, I replaced the toner cartridge
> >> with a TN460, which is supposed to yield 6,000 pages. The printer is
> >> now flashing a low-toner warning. I average less than 10 pages per
> >> day, no graphics, just plain text. Have other folks had their Brother
> >> toner cartridges run out so soon?
>
> >Sounds like your printing coverage is more than 5%.
> >A full page of 10 point text text uses 3 times the estimated
> >coverage produced by the 5% standard. If you are printing with larger
font
> >sizes and any graphics the page yield drops even further.
>
> Thanks. So when they advertise 6,000 pages, it really means 2,000
> full pages, or 6,000 pages that are 2/3 blank? Seems kinda misleading
> to me...

5% coverage is standard. It's pretty useless when judging ink jet photos
usage, for instant. How many pages have you printed so far?
July 14, 2004 12:59:20 PM

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>> >Sounds like your printing coverage is more than 5%.
>> >A full page of 10 point text text uses 3 times the estimated
>> >coverage produced by the 5% standard. If you are printing with larger
>font sizes and any graphics the page yield drops even further.
>>
>> Thanks. So when they advertise 6,000 pages, it really means 2,000
>> full pages, or 6,000 pages that are 2/3 blank? Seems kinda misleading
>> to me...
>
>5% coverage is standard. It's pretty useless when judging ink jet photos
>usage, for instant. How many pages have you printed so far?

About 1,000 (not sure whether the 1440 has the ability to give me a
page count).
August 6, 2004 11:11:28 AM

<ink_N_O_S_P_A_M_support@WeN_o_S_P_A_M_Ink.com> wrote:
>A full page of 10 point text text uses 3 times the estimated
>coverage produced by the 5% standard. If you are printing with larger font
>sizes and any graphics the page yield drops even further.

Thanks for the info. Not sure I understand how the font size relates
to the yield. There would be fewer characters on the page with a
larger font - wouldn't that offset the increased font size?
!