Brother laser - toner cartridge question

I have a Brother HL1440. On March 24, I replaced the toner cartridge
with a TN460, which is supposed to yield 6,000 pages. The printer is
now flashing a low-toner warning. I average less than 10 pages per
day, no graphics, just plain text. Have other folks had their Brother
toner cartridges run out so soon?
5 answers Last reply
More about brother laser toner cartridge question

    Sounds like your printing coverage is more than 5%.

    A full page of 10 point text text uses 3 times the estimated
    coverage produced by the 5% standard. If you are printing with larger font
    sizes and any graphics the page yield drops even further.

    Possibly you could have a low toner sensor error, as 1200 pages does sound a
    little low.

    --
    WeInk.com Technical Support
    Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
    "Steve" <htr@wfc.inv> wrote in message
    > I have a Brother HL1440. On March 24, I replaced the toner cartridge
    > with a TN460, which is supposed to yield 6,000 pages. The printer is
    > now flashing a low-toner warning. I average less than 10 pages per
    > day, no graphics, just plain text. Have other folks had their Brother
    > toner cartridges run out so soon?

    "WeInk.com Technical Support" >Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
    >> I have a Brother HL1440. On March 24, I replaced the toner cartridge
    >> with a TN460, which is supposed to yield 6,000 pages. The printer is
    >> now flashing a low-toner warning. I average less than 10 pages per
    >> day, no graphics, just plain text. Have other folks had their Brother
    >> toner cartridges run out so soon?

    >Sounds like your printing coverage is more than 5%.
    >A full page of 10 point text text uses 3 times the estimated
    >coverage produced by the 5% standard. If you are printing with larger font
    >sizes and any graphics the page yield drops even further.

    Thanks. So when they advertise 6,000 pages, it really means 2,000
    full pages, or 6,000 pages that are 2/3 blank? Seems kinda misleading
    to me...

    > "WeInk.com Technical Support" >Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
    > >> I have a Brother HL1440. On March 24, I replaced the toner cartridge
    > >> with a TN460, which is supposed to yield 6,000 pages. The printer is
    > >> now flashing a low-toner warning. I average less than 10 pages per
    > >> day, no graphics, just plain text. Have other folks had their Brother
    > >> toner cartridges run out so soon?
    >
    > >Sounds like your printing coverage is more than 5%.
    > >A full page of 10 point text text uses 3 times the estimated
    > >coverage produced by the 5% standard. If you are printing with larger
    font
    > >sizes and any graphics the page yield drops even further.
    >
    > Thanks. So when they advertise 6,000 pages, it really means 2,000
    > full pages, or 6,000 pages that are 2/3 blank? Seems kinda misleading
    > to me...

    5% coverage is standard. It's pretty useless when judging ink jet photos
    usage, for instant. How many pages have you printed so far?

    "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

    >> >Sounds like your printing coverage is more than 5%.
    >> >A full page of 10 point text text uses 3 times the estimated
    >> >coverage produced by the 5% standard. If you are printing with larger
    >font sizes and any graphics the page yield drops even further.
    >>
    >> Thanks. So when they advertise 6,000 pages, it really means 2,000
    >> full pages, or 6,000 pages that are 2/3 blank? Seems kinda misleading
    >> to me...
    >
    >5% coverage is standard. It's pretty useless when judging ink jet photos
    >usage, for instant. How many pages have you printed so far?

    About 1,000 (not sure whether the 1440 has the ability to give me a
    page count).

    <ink_N_O_S_P_A_M_support@WeN_o_S_P_A_M_Ink.com> wrote:
    >A full page of 10 point text text uses 3 times the estimated
    >coverage produced by the 5% standard. If you are printing with larger font
    >sizes and any graphics the page yield drops even further.

    Thanks for the info. Not sure I understand how the font size relates
    to the yield. There would be fewer characters on the page with a
    larger font - wouldn't that offset the increased font size?

Printers Brother Peripherals