HELP! Network connections empty and Ipconfig won't work

Tags:
  • ipconfig
  • Connection
  • Windows XP
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 5, 2005 6:15:04 PM

OK folks, here goes: I have an XP Home machine that needs to be a client to a
2K server (already a host to a third machine running 2k) and the Network
Connections folder on the XP machine is empty. I also apparently cannot
create a new connection. I am allowed to go through the create a new
connection wizard, and have tried to create one manually as well, but the
connection I create never shows up. The network connections folder is
absolutely empty. Additionally, when I reun Ipconfig under the command
prompt, it returns with an internal error of the request is not supported and
additional info is unable to query host name (which I have input into all the
network connections that fail to appear) This machine came pre-installed with
XP Home SP1, and has no XP specific disc, only system recovery disks, all the
XP files are on the hard drive in I386. Ipconfig does exist in my System32
folder and it is identical to the one in the I386 folder. Do I need to
purchase XP home with SP2, or is there a workaround for this? Additional
info. is the XP machine installed with a Linksys Wireless adapter which can
see the access point but not the router or the internet, so upgrading via the
internet is a no-go (I am typing this on the 2K host machine) HELP!

More about : network connections empty ipconfig work

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 5:03:20 PM

1) Is this a Domain joined client?

2) The network connections folder may have restrictions based upon the
logged-in user's permissions. Can you open the following and reply back
with the group name for your user?

START > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

From the computer management snap-in navigate to:

Computer Management (Local) -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups ->
Groups

Navigate through the user groups until you find your username. Reply back
with the Groupname for your user.

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless