Dragon + Max CPU

What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe

PW <budzos@execpc.com> wrote in message news:<414C685B.AFE7F52F@execpc.com>...
> What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
> what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
> almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
> may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
> Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe

Without board mods, max is a Palomino 2100+. With the mods, up to a 3000+
Barton or one of the XP mobile chips. Email me if you want info on the mods.

Andy

PW wrote:
> What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
> what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
> almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
> may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
> Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe

Officially? XP2600/266, but it's kinda hard to get. Fastest to get is
2400/266, but even this one won't be available for long.
However, if you find some old 3000 barton model, it's possible to squeeze it
in, but, as i said, it must be old (made in the beginning of 2003), because
i've been told that later models have locked multiplier.
BIOS needed is 2ba9 - latest

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message news:<p_%2d.2962$F6.695597@news.siol.net>...
> PW wrote:
> > What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
> > what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
> > almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
> > may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
> > Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe
>
> Officially? XP2600/266, but it's kinda hard to get. Fastest to get is
> 2400/266, but even this one won't be available for long.
> However, if you find some old 3000 barton model, it's possible to squeeze it
> in, but, as i said, it must be old (made in the beginning of 2003), because
> i've been told that later models have locked multiplier.
> BIOS needed is 2ba9 - latest

Time to up to the newest and latest equipment.
Dave

acajka wrote:
> PW <budzos@execpc.com> wrote in message
>> What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
>> what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
>> almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
>> may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
>> Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe
>
> Without board mods, max is a Palomino 2100+. With the mods, up to a
> 3000+ Barton or one of the XP mobile chips. Email me if you want info
> on the mods.
>

> Andy

First part is wrong...it's not 2100, but 2600...

Thanks for all the responses, since my Gigabyte board 7N400 has
been crashing while doing video processing I have started using
my Dragon but it takes much longer thats why I'm looking to ramp up the
speed a bit.
Philip Wolfe

PW wrote:

> What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
> what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
> almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
> may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
> Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe

> > What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
> > what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
> > almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
> > may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
> > Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe

If anyone here is running a 2600 in a D+ board, then that board
has been modified by the user or Soyo. The stock shipped boards will
NOT accept any speed TBred chips until the mods are performed.

Andy

"acajka" <acajka@suscom.net> je napisal v sporocilo
news:94f3db7e.0409200350.184a506e@posting.google.com ...
>> > What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
>> > what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
>> > almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
>> > may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
>> > Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe
>

> If anyone here is running a 2600 in a D+ board, then that board
> has been modified by the user or Soyo. The stock shipped boards will
> NOT accept any speed TBred chips until the mods are performed.
>
> Andy

I guess you're right about that - i was under impression that latest boards
were already modified, but if they weren't, then i'm sorry.

BTW... do you know maybe if mobile barton would be OK instead of normal one?
Local reseller told me that mobiles doesn't have locked multiplier. It's
just he told that only 2400 and 2600 were commonly available and they were
on 166fsb...
Any info...thx

> > If anyone here is running a 2600 in a D+ board, then that board
> > has been modified by the user or Soyo. The stock shipped boards will
> > NOT accept any speed TBred chips until the mods are performed.
> >
> > Andy
>
> I guess you're right about that - i was under impression that latest boards
> were already modified, but if they weren't, then i'm sorry.
>
> BTW... do you know maybe if mobile barton would be OK instead of normal one?
> Local reseller told me that mobiles doesn't have locked multiplier. It's
> just he told that only 2400 and 2600 were commonly available and they were
> on 166fsb...
> Any info...thx

The last production run of D+ boards shipped (sometime around May/June of
2002) had the mod already performed by Soyo. This was a rather small
amount of boards; the vast majority of the boards need to be modded in
order to use a TBred cpu chip.
Once a board is modded, then yes the mobile Barton chips will work. To
access all of the multipliers though, a socket pin mod is needed. I run a
2500 mobile chip in a modded D+ board at 2266mhz (133 X 17).

Andy

acajka wrote:
>>> If anyone here is running a 2600 in a D+ board, then that board
>>> has been modified by the user or Soyo. The stock shipped boards will
>>> NOT accept any speed TBred chips until the mods are performed.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>
>> I guess you're right about that - i was under impression that latest
>> boards were already modified, but if they weren't, then i'm sorry.
>>
>> BTW... do you know maybe if mobile barton would be OK instead of
>> normal one? Local reseller told me that mobiles doesn't have locked
>> multiplier. It's just he told that only 2400 and 2600 were commonly
>> available and they were on 166fsb...
>> Any info...thx
>

> The last production run of D+ boards shipped (sometime around
> May/June of 2002) had the mod already performed by Soyo. This was a
> rather small amount of boards; the vast majority of the boards need
> to be modded in order to use a TBred cpu chip.
> Once a board is modded, then yes the mobile Barton chips will work. To
> access all of the multipliers though, a socket pin mod is needed. I
> run a 2500 mobile chip in a modded D+ board at 2266mhz (133 X 17).
>
> Andy

Aha...Thanks.