Dragon + Max CPU

What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe
9 answers Last reply
More about dragon

    PW <budzos@execpc.com> wrote in message news:<414C685B.AFE7F52F@execpc.com>...
    > What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
    > what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
    > almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
    > may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
    > Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe

    Without board mods, max is a Palomino 2100+. With the mods, up to a 3000+
    Barton or one of the XP mobile chips. Email me if you want info on the mods.

    Andy
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    PW wrote:
    > What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
    > what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
    > almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
    > may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
    > Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe

    Officially? XP2600/266, but it's kinda hard to get. Fastest to get is
    2400/266, but even this one won't be available for long.
    However, if you find some old 3000 barton model, it's possible to squeeze it
    in, but, as i said, it must be old (made in the beginning of 2003), because
    i've been told that later models have locked multiplier.
    BIOS needed is 2ba9 - latest
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message news:<p_%2d.2962$F6.695597@news.siol.net>...
    > PW wrote:
    > > What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
    > > what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
    > > almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
    > > may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
    > > Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe
    >
    > Officially? XP2600/266, but it's kinda hard to get. Fastest to get is
    > 2400/266, but even this one won't be available for long.
    > However, if you find some old 3000 barton model, it's possible to squeeze it
    > in, but, as i said, it must be old (made in the beginning of 2003), because
    > i've been told that later models have locked multiplier.
    > BIOS needed is 2ba9 - latest

    Time to up to the newest and latest equipment.
    Dave
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    acajka wrote:
    > PW <budzos@execpc.com> wrote in message
    >> What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
    >> what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
    >> almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
    >> may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
    >> Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe
    >
    > Without board mods, max is a Palomino 2100+. With the mods, up to a
    > 3000+ Barton or one of the XP mobile chips. Email me if you want info
    > on the mods.
    >

    > Andy

    First part is wrong...it's not 2100, but 2600...
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    Thanks for all the responses, since my Gigabyte board 7N400 has
    been crashing while doing video processing I have started using
    my Dragon but it takes much longer thats why I'm looking to ramp up the
    speed a bit.
    Philip Wolfe

    PW wrote:

    > What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
    > what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
    > almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
    > may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
    > Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    > > What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
    > > what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
    > > almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
    > > may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
    > > Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe

    If anyone here is running a 2600 in a D+ board, then that board
    has been modified by the user or Soyo. The stock shipped boards will
    NOT accept any speed TBred chips until the mods are performed.

    Andy
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    "acajka" <acajka@suscom.net> je napisal v sporocilo
    news:94f3db7e.0409200350.184a506e@posting.google.com ...
    >> > What is the largest CPU I can run in my K7V Dragon + and
    >> > what bios would I need to use. My Dragon has been rock solid for
    >> > almost 3 years but a bit slow. Any additional mods to the board
    >> > may be considered as long as they are not difficult.
    >> > Thanks in advance, Phillip Wolfe
    >

    > If anyone here is running a 2600 in a D+ board, then that board
    > has been modified by the user or Soyo. The stock shipped boards will
    > NOT accept any speed TBred chips until the mods are performed.
    >
    > Andy

    I guess you're right about that - i was under impression that latest boards
    were already modified, but if they weren't, then i'm sorry.

    BTW... do you know maybe if mobile barton would be OK instead of normal one?
    Local reseller told me that mobiles doesn't have locked multiplier. It's
    just he told that only 2400 and 2600 were commonly available and they were
    on 166fsb...
    Any info...thx
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    > > If anyone here is running a 2600 in a D+ board, then that board
    > > has been modified by the user or Soyo. The stock shipped boards will
    > > NOT accept any speed TBred chips until the mods are performed.
    > >
    > > Andy
    >
    > I guess you're right about that - i was under impression that latest boards
    > were already modified, but if they weren't, then i'm sorry.
    >
    > BTW... do you know maybe if mobile barton would be OK instead of normal one?
    > Local reseller told me that mobiles doesn't have locked multiplier. It's
    > just he told that only 2400 and 2600 were commonly available and they were
    > on 166fsb...
    > Any info...thx

    The last production run of D+ boards shipped (sometime around May/June of
    2002) had the mod already performed by Soyo. This was a rather small
    amount of boards; the vast majority of the boards need to be modded in
    order to use a TBred cpu chip.
    Once a board is modded, then yes the mobile Barton chips will work. To
    access all of the multipliers though, a socket pin mod is needed. I run a
    2500 mobile chip in a modded D+ board at 2266mhz (133 X 17).

    Andy
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    acajka wrote:
    >>> If anyone here is running a 2600 in a D+ board, then that board
    >>> has been modified by the user or Soyo. The stock shipped boards will
    >>> NOT accept any speed TBred chips until the mods are performed.
    >>>
    >>> Andy
    >>
    >> I guess you're right about that - i was under impression that latest
    >> boards were already modified, but if they weren't, then i'm sorry.
    >>
    >> BTW... do you know maybe if mobile barton would be OK instead of
    >> normal one? Local reseller told me that mobiles doesn't have locked
    >> multiplier. It's just he told that only 2400 and 2600 were commonly
    >> available and they were on 166fsb...
    >> Any info...thx
    >

    > The last production run of D+ boards shipped (sometime around
    > May/June of 2002) had the mod already performed by Soyo. This was a
    > rather small amount of boards; the vast majority of the boards need
    > to be modded in order to use a TBred cpu chip.
    > Once a board is modded, then yes the mobile Barton chips will work. To
    > access all of the multipliers though, a socket pin mod is needed. I
    > run a 2500 mobile chip in a modded D+ board at 2266mhz (133 X 17).
    >
    > Andy

    Aha...Thanks.

BIOS Soyo CPUs Motherboards