Raid 0 X SCSI

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not find.
I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration (2
seagate 80gb barracudas).
I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard Drive
and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.

Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I clone to
the SCSI will I be able to boot?
What problems may I face if I ever do this?
Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.

Thank you.
16 answers Last reply
More about raid scsi

    "Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not find.
    > I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration (2
    > seagate 80gb barracudas).
    > I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard Drive
    > and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
    >
    > Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I clone
    > to the SCSI will I be able to boot?
    > What problems may I face if I ever do this?
    > Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
    >
    > Thank you.

    You may have to edit the boot.ini file.

    Kerry

    Since the system was installed on non-scsi drive, most likely there is no
    scsi raid drive installed and your drive will most likely not boot with out
    this driver. This driver has to be installed in the early stages of
    installation.
    What you need to do before cloning is simply install the SCSI raid driver in
    the existing windows and then do the cloning. That should do it.
    But I am curious....are you adding the SCSI thinking that it will make your
    system more "fail safe"? or you just want to have a backup of your drive?
    The SCSI does not offer anything special. The only advantage with SCSI is
    the ability to do all the data processing on it's own controller instead of
    having the CPU do it.

    --
    Pavel

    "Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not find.
    > I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration (2
    > seagate 80gb barracudas).
    > I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard Drive
    > and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
    >
    > Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I clone
    > to the SCSI will I be able to boot?
    > What problems may I face if I ever do this?
    > Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
    >
    > Thank you.

    > The only advantage with SCSI is
    > the ability to do all the data processing on it's own controller instead
    > of having the CPU do it.

    Let's see...Higher Spindle speeds, MUCH higher MTBF, NCQ, TCQ, HUGE
    bandwidth...

    Yeah, you're right. They only have one advantage.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Since the system was installed on non-scsi drive, most likely there is no
    > scsi raid drive installed and your drive will most likely not boot with
    > out this driver. This driver has to be installed in the early stages of
    > installation.
    > What you need to do before cloning is simply install the SCSI raid driver
    > in the existing windows and then do the cloning. That should do it.
    > But I am curious....are you adding the SCSI thinking that it will make
    > your system more "fail safe"? or you just want to have a backup of your
    > drive? The SCSI does not offer anything special. The only advantage with
    > SCSI is the ability to do all the data processing on it's own controller
    > instead of having the CPU do it.
    >
    > --
    > Pavel

    Your right about the driver. I forgot about that when posting about editing
    boot.ini. Your wrong about SCSI only having one advantage. :-) If you are
    doing video editing, running a server, generating large database reports,
    anything that demands high CPU time while simultaneously accessing the hard
    drive SCSI has much faster performance. Also "most" SCSI drives have higher
    MTBF, faster rotation therefore faster sustained data transfer etc. There is
    a reason SCSI drives are more expensive. SATA may eventually equal them but
    at that point they will cost the same and require expensive hardware
    controllers as well.

    Kerry

    > "Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not
    >> find.
    >> I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration
    >> (2 seagate 80gb barracudas).
    >> I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard Drive
    >> and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
    >>
    >> Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I clone
    >> to the SCSI will I be able to boot?
    >> What problems may I face if I ever do this?
    >> Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    Matt,

    You are right. But for the average user this means nothing. As for my self
    I would not have anything else but couple of 15k SCSI drives in Raid. But
    the one thing I miss is the fast initial boot in the non-Adaptec-scsi system
    specially when debugging problems where you have to do constant re-boots.
    My Adaptec 320 controller adds about 10 seconds to it.

    --
    Pavel

    "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message

    >> The only advantage with SCSI is
    >> the ability to do all the data processing on it's own controller instead
    >> of having the CPU do it.
    >
    > Let's see...Higher Spindle speeds, MUCH higher MTBF, NCQ, TCQ, HUGE
    > bandwidth...
    >
    > Yeah, you're right. They only have one advantage.
    >
    > Matt Gibson - GSEC

    Kerry,

    For those that know SCSI as you do, you know that all this you mentioned is
    possible because the controller does all the processing instead of the CPU
    handling all the tasks. I may not have used the right words when I said that
    there is no difference but if the average person goes and spends the
    additional money for SCSI drive just to have his/hers Outlook PST file or
    some other data file be more fail safe then that person is simply wasting
    his money.
    As I have replied to Matt, I would not have anything else but fast 15k SCSI
    raid because of all the benefits that you mentioned.

    --
    Pavel

    > Kerry,
    >
    > For those that know SCSI as you do, you know that all this you mentioned
    > is possible because the controller does all the processing instead of the
    > CPU handling all the tasks. I may not have used the right words when I
    > said that there is no difference but if the average person goes and spends
    > the additional money for SCSI drive just to have his/hers Outlook PST file
    > or some other data file be more fail safe then that person is simply
    > wasting his money.
    > As I have replied to Matt, I would not have anything else but fast 15k
    > SCSI raid because of all the benefits that you mentioned.
    >
    > --
    > Pavel

    Point taken. For most people the hassle and cost of SCSI outweigh the
    benefits. If redundancy is the issue then a IDE RAID controller or even
    software RAID can accomplish it much cheaper.

    Kerry

    >> "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Since the system was installed on non-scsi drive, most likely there is
    >>> no scsi raid drive installed and your drive will most likely not boot
    >>> with out this driver. This driver has to be installed in the early
    >>> stages of installation.
    >>> What you need to do before cloning is simply install the SCSI raid
    >>> driver in the existing windows and then do the cloning. That should do
    >>> it.
    >>> But I am curious....are you adding the SCSI thinking that it will make
    >>> your system more "fail safe"? or you just want to have a backup of your
    >>> drive? The SCSI does not offer anything special. The only advantage with
    >>> SCSI is the ability to do all the data processing on it's own
    >>> controller instead of having the CPU do it.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Pavel
    >>>

    >> Your right about the driver. I forgot about that when posting about
    >> editing boot.ini. Your wrong about SCSI only having one advantage. :-) If
    >> you are doing video editing, running a server, generating large database
    >> reports, anything that demands high CPU time while simultaneously
    >> accessing the hard drive SCSI has much faster performance. Also "most"
    >> SCSI drives have higher MTBF, faster rotation therefore faster sustained
    >> data transfer etc. There is a reason SCSI drives are more expensive. SATA
    >> may eventually equal them but at that point they will cost the same and
    >> require expensive hardware controllers as well.
    >>
    >> Kerry
    >>

    >>> "Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message

    > the one thing I miss is the fast initial boot in the non-Adaptec-scsi
    > system specially when debugging problems where you have to do constant
    > re-boots. My Adaptec 320 controller adds about 10 seconds to it.

    *Shudder*

    I fully agree with you there. I despise the servers that have 2-3 different
    raid controllers, each taking 10-15 seconds to find out that there are/arn't
    any drives, and let me move on.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    Sorry,wont work with a SATA drive and/or SCSI.Do a fresh install,use the
    file transfer wizard to save settings,youre files.IDE drives
    cloning-mirroring
    works fine.

    "Zalman" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not find.
    > I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration (2
    > seagate 80gb barracudas).
    > I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard Drive
    > and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
    >
    > Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I clone to
    > the SCSI will I be able to boot?
    > What problems may I face if I ever do this?
    > Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Hi.. looks like we don't have a consensus here.. :)
    Some people say it will work, some say will not...
    Andrew, you confirm that cloning a RAID 0 will not work?
    I am almost giving up.. I think I'll buy another HD and make an image.. or
    build a new box from scratch with a SCSi...

    Anyway.. thank you very much for your help guys, I apreciate (and sorry for
    my bad english).

    Zalman

    "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> escreveu na mensagem
    > Sorry,wont work with a SATA drive and/or SCSI.Do a fresh install,use the
    > file transfer wizard to save settings,youre files.IDE drives
    > cloning-mirroring
    > works fine.
    >
    > "Zalman" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not
    >> find.
    >> I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration
    >> (2
    >> seagate 80gb barracudas).
    >> I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard Drive
    >> and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
    >>
    >> Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I clone
    >> the SCSI will I be able to boot?
    >> What problems may I face if I ever do this?
    >> Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    Zalman,

    That is nonsense. The cloning software has no idea if the hardrive is RAID
    or not. The only problem will be if the hardware does not know what RAID is
    and more specifically, if your cloning software runs from DOS then some
    additional drivers may be needed to tell the hardware how to access the
    RAID. If the cloning software runs under OS then there should be no problem
    at all since all the appropriate drivers to access the RAID are already
    installed, otherwise you will not be able to see the drive.

    --
    Pavel

    > Hi.. looks like we don't have a consensus here.. :)
    > Some people say it will work, some say will not...
    > Andrew, you confirm that cloning a RAID 0 will not work?
    > I am almost giving up.. I think I'll buy another HD and make an image.. or
    > build a new box from scratch with a SCSi...
    >
    > Anyway.. thank you very much for your help guys, I apreciate (and sorry
    > for my bad english).
    >
    > Zalman
    >

    > "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> escreveu na mensagem
    >> Sorry,wont work with a SATA drive and/or SCSI.Do a fresh install,use the
    >> file transfer wizard to save settings,youre files.IDE drives
    >> cloning-mirroring
    >> works fine.
    >>
    >> "Zalman" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not
    >>> find.
    >>> I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration
    >>> (2
    >>> seagate 80gb barracudas).
    >>> I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard
    >>> Drive
    >>> and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
    >>>
    >>> Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I
    >>> clone to
    >>> the SCSI will I be able to boot?
    >>> What problems may I face if I ever do this?
    >>> Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.

    "Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
    > Hi.. looks like we don't have a consensus here.. :)
    > Some people say it will work, some say will not...
    > Andrew, you confirm that cloning a RAID 0 will not work?
    > I am almost giving up.. I think I'll buy another HD and make an image.. or
    > build a new box from scratch with a SCSi...
    >
    > Anyway.. thank you very much for your help guys, I apreciate (and sorry
    > for my bad english).
    >
    > Zalman

    Most cloning/imaging software has many options. With RAID 0 you probably
    won't be able to do a sector by sector image but rather a file by file copy.
    In the end your system is transfered so what does it matter?

    Kerry

    > "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> escreveu na mensagem
    >> Sorry,wont work with a SATA drive and/or SCSI.Do a fresh install,use the
    >> file transfer wizard to save settings,youre files.IDE drives
    >> cloning-mirroring
    >> works fine.
    >>
    >> "Zalman" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not
    >>> find.
    >>> I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration
    >>> (2
    >>> seagate 80gb barracudas).
    >>> I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard
    >>> Drive
    >>> and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
    >>>
    >>> Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I
    >>> clone to
    >>> the SCSI will I be able to boot?
    >>> What problems may I face if I ever do this?
    >>> Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Kerry,

    This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing where you have to
    copy file by file in order to clone RAID 0. I have been doing sector by
    sector for many years on all kind of different system. Actually, I do not
    even see such option in Ghost (Drive Image). On the other hand, maybe I do
    not know the workings of Ghost and it is possible that it does file by file
    but my understanding from reading the literature was that it is done on
    sector by sector.

    --
    Pavel

    > "Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi.. looks like we don't have a consensus here.. :)
    >> Some people say it will work, some say will not...
    >> Andrew, you confirm that cloning a RAID 0 will not work?
    >> I am almost giving up.. I think I'll buy another HD and make an image..
    >> or build a new box from scratch with a SCSi...
    >>
    >> Anyway.. thank you very much for your help guys, I apreciate (and sorry
    >> for my bad english).
    >>
    >> Zalman
    >>

    > Most cloning/imaging software has many options. With RAID 0 you probably
    > won't be able to do a sector by sector image but rather a file by file
    > copy. In the end your system is transfered so what does it matter?
    >
    > Kerry
    >

    >> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> escreveu na mensagem
    >>> Sorry,wont work with a SATA drive and/or SCSI.Do a fresh install,use the
    >>> file transfer wizard to save settings,youre files.IDE drives
    >>> cloning-mirroring
    >>> works fine.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > Kerry,
    >
    > This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing where you have to
    > copy file by file in order to clone RAID 0. I have been doing sector by
    > sector for many years on all kind of different system. Actually, I do not
    > even see such option in Ghost (Drive Image). On the other hand, maybe I do
    > not know the workings of Ghost and it is possible that it does file by
    > file but my understanding from reading the literature was that it is done
    > on sector by sector.
    >

    > --
    > Pavel

    I haven't used Ghost for years. I use True Image. It's not installed on this
    computer so I can't check but I'm sure it does both depending on what
    options you choose. I can't remember the exact terminology but I believe an
    image is sector based and a clone is file based. Maybe someone with more
    knowledge of Ghost can let us know.

    Kerry

    >> "Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi.. looks like we don't have a consensus here.. :)
    >>> Some people say it will work, some say will not...
    >>> Andrew, you confirm that cloning a RAID 0 will not work?
    >>> I am almost giving up.. I think I'll buy another HD and make an image..
    >>> or build a new box from scratch with a SCSi...
    >>>
    >>> Anyway.. thank you very much for your help guys, I apreciate (and sorry
    >>> for my bad english).
    >>>
    >>> Zalman
    >>>

    >> Most cloning/imaging software has many options. With RAID 0 you probably
    >> won't be able to do a sector by sector image but rather a file by file
    >> copy. In the end your system is transfered so what does it matter?
    >>
    >> Kerry
    >>

    >>> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> escreveu na mensagem

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <ubol7xyVFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
    tems.c*a*m says...
    > I haven't used Ghost for years. I use True Image. It's not installed on this
    > computer so I can't check but I'm sure it does both depending on what
    > options you choose. I can't remember the exact terminology but I believe an
    > image is sector based and a clone is file based. Maybe someone with more
    > knowledge of Ghost can let us know.

    Depending on the drivers used for the RAID controller, you can use an
    Image to restore to a non-raid or other RAID array.

    If your RAID is hardware based and you have a bootable disk/cd with
    drivers that support it, then you can restore any image made by Ghost to
    it - and it doesn't matter if it was RAID-0/1/5.

    If you did a soft-RAID (using the OS), since you can't image a drive in
    Windows, at least not one you're actually using for the OS, you can't
    really support it, unless you can get a DOS disk with drivers that lets
    you some how see the R/0 array from a bootable diskette/cd.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <ubol7xyVFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
    > tems.c*a*m says...
    >
    >>I haven't used Ghost for years. I use True Image. It's not installed on this
    >>computer so I can't check but I'm sure it does both depending on what
    >>options you choose. I can't remember the exact terminology but I believe an
    >>image is sector based and a clone is file based. Maybe someone with more
    >>knowledge of Ghost can let us know.
    >

    > Depending on the drivers used for the RAID controller, you can use an
    > Image to restore to a non-raid or other RAID array.
    >
    > If your RAID is hardware based and you have a bootable disk/cd with
    > drivers that support it, then you can restore any image made by Ghost to
    > it - and it doesn't matter if it was RAID-0/1/5.
    >
    > If you did a soft-RAID (using the OS), since you can't image a drive in
    > Windows, at least not one you're actually using for the OS, you can't
    > really support it, unless you can get a DOS disk with drivers that lets
    > you some how see the R/0 array from a bootable diskette/cd.

    Ghost 9/Drive Image 7 can image everything within Windows, including the
    system partition. It can also restore everything *but* the system
    partition within Windows - but that's still not a problem as the
    restoration environment is built on WinPE, so you have the opportunity
    to load RAID drivers during boot if required.

    Sunny

NAS / RAID SCSI Windows XP