Raid 0 X SCSI

May 11, 2005 2:57:17 PM

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not find.
I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration (2
seagate 80gb barracudas).
I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard Drive
and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.

Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I clone to
the SCSI will I be able to boot?
What problems may I face if I ever do this?
Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.

Thank you.

More about : raid scsi

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:57:18 PM

"Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not find.
> I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration (2
> seagate 80gb barracudas).
> I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard Drive
> and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
>
> Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I clone
> to the SCSI will I be able to boot?
> What problems may I face if I ever do this?
> Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
>
> Thank you.

You may have to edit the boot.ini file.

Kerry
May 11, 2005 2:57:18 PM

Since the system was installed on non-scsi drive, most likely there is no
scsi raid drive installed and your drive will most likely not boot with out
this driver. This driver has to be installed in the early stages of
installation.
What you need to do before cloning is simply install the SCSI raid driver in
the existing windows and then do the cloning. That should do it.
But I am curious....are you adding the SCSI thinking that it will make your
system more "fail safe"? or you just want to have a backup of your drive?
The SCSI does not offer anything special. The only advantage with SCSI is
the ability to do all the data processing on it's own controller instead of
having the CPU do it.

--
Pavel

"Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not find.
> I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration (2
> seagate 80gb barracudas).
> I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard Drive
> and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
>
> Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I clone
> to the SCSI will I be able to boot?
> What problems may I face if I ever do this?
> Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
>
> Thank you.

May 11, 2005 2:57:19 PM

> The only advantage with SCSI is
> the ability to do all the data processing on it's own controller instead
> of having the CPU do it.

Let's see...Higher Spindle speeds, MUCH higher MTBF, NCQ, TCQ, HUGE
bandwidth...

Yeah, you're right. They only have one advantage.

Matt Gibson - GSEC
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:57:19 PM

"Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Since the system was installed on non-scsi drive, most likely there is no
> scsi raid drive installed and your drive will most likely not boot with
> out this driver. This driver has to be installed in the early stages of
> installation.
> What you need to do before cloning is simply install the SCSI raid driver
> in the existing windows and then do the cloning. That should do it.
> But I am curious....are you adding the SCSI thinking that it will make
> your system more "fail safe"? or you just want to have a backup of your
> drive? The SCSI does not offer anything special. The only advantage with
> SCSI is the ability to do all the data processing on it's own controller
> instead of having the CPU do it.
>
> --
> Pavel

Your right about the driver. I forgot about that when posting about editing
boot.ini. Your wrong about SCSI only having one advantage. :-) If you are
doing video editing, running a server, generating large database reports,
anything that demands high CPU time while simultaneously accessing the hard
drive SCSI has much faster performance. Also "most" SCSI drives have higher
MTBF, faster rotation therefore faster sustained data transfer etc. There is
a reason SCSI drives are more expensive. SATA may eventually equal them but
at that point they will cost the same and require expensive hardware
controllers as well.

Kerry

> "Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not
>> find.
>> I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration
>> (2 seagate 80gb barracudas).
>> I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard Drive
>> and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
>>
>> Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I clone
>> to the SCSI will I be able to boot?
>> What problems may I face if I ever do this?
>> Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
>>
>> Thank you.

May 11, 2005 2:57:20 PM

Matt,

You are right. But for the average user this means nothing. As for my self
I would not have anything else but couple of 15k SCSI drives in Raid. But
the one thing I miss is the fast initial boot in the non-Adaptec-scsi system
specially when debugging problems where you have to do constant re-boots.
My Adaptec 320 controller adds about 10 seconds to it.

--
Pavel

"Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message

>> The only advantage with SCSI is
>> the ability to do all the data processing on it's own controller instead
>> of having the CPU do it.
>
> Let's see...Higher Spindle speeds, MUCH higher MTBF, NCQ, TCQ, HUGE
> bandwidth...
>
> Yeah, you're right. They only have one advantage.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC

May 11, 2005 2:57:20 PM

Kerry,

For those that know SCSI as you do, you know that all this you mentioned is
possible because the controller does all the processing instead of the CPU
handling all the tasks. I may not have used the right words when I said that
there is no difference but if the average person goes and spends the
additional money for SCSI drive just to have his/hers Outlook PST file or
some other data file be more fail safe then that person is simply wasting
his money.
As I have replied to Matt, I would not have anything else but fast 15k SCSI
raid because of all the benefits that you mentioned.

--
Pavel

news:o UZ3BOkVFHA.2740@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Since the system was installed on non-scsi drive, most likely there is no
>> scsi raid drive installed and your drive will most likely not boot with
>> out this driver. This driver has to be installed in the early stages of
>> installation.
>> What you need to do before cloning is simply install the SCSI raid driver
>> in the existing windows and then do the cloning. That should do it.
>> But I am curious....are you adding the SCSI thinking that it will make
>> your system more "fail safe"? or you just want to have a backup of your
>> drive? The SCSI does not offer anything special. The only advantage with
>> SCSI is the ability to do all the data processing on it's own controller
>> instead of having the CPU do it.
>>
>> --
>> Pavel
>>

> Your right about the driver. I forgot about that when posting about
> editing boot.ini. Your wrong about SCSI only having one advantage. :-) If
> you are doing video editing, running a server, generating large database
> reports, anything that demands high CPU time while simultaneously
> accessing the hard drive SCSI has much faster performance. Also "most"
> SCSI drives have higher MTBF, faster rotation therefore faster sustained
> data transfer etc. There is a reason SCSI drives are more expensive. SATA
> may eventually equal them but at that point they will cost the same and
> require expensive hardware controllers as well.
>
> Kerry
>

>> "Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not
>>> find.
>>> I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration
>>> (2 seagate 80gb barracudas).
>>> I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard
>>> Drive and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
>>>
>>> Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I
>>> clone to the SCSI will I be able to boot?
>>> What problems may I face if I ever do this?
>>> Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
>>>
>>> Thank you.

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:57:21 PM

> Kerry,
>
> For those that know SCSI as you do, you know that all this you mentioned
> is possible because the controller does all the processing instead of the
> CPU handling all the tasks. I may not have used the right words when I
> said that there is no difference but if the average person goes and spends
> the additional money for SCSI drive just to have his/hers Outlook PST file
> or some other data file be more fail safe then that person is simply
> wasting his money.
> As I have replied to Matt, I would not have anything else but fast 15k
> SCSI raid because of all the benefits that you mentioned.
>
> --
> Pavel

Point taken. For most people the hassle and cost of SCSI outweigh the
benefits. If redundancy is the issue then a IDE RAID controller or even
software RAID can accomplish it much cheaper.

Kerry

> news:o UZ3BOkVFHA.2740@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Since the system was installed on non-scsi drive, most likely there is
>>> no scsi raid drive installed and your drive will most likely not boot
>>> with out this driver. This driver has to be installed in the early
>>> stages of installation.
>>> What you need to do before cloning is simply install the SCSI raid
>>> driver in the existing windows and then do the cloning. That should do
>>> it.
>>> But I am curious....are you adding the SCSI thinking that it will make
>>> your system more "fail safe"? or you just want to have a backup of your
>>> drive? The SCSI does not offer anything special. The only advantage with
>>> SCSI is the ability to do all the data processing on it's own
>>> controller instead of having the CPU do it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Pavel
>>>

>> Your right about the driver. I forgot about that when posting about
>> editing boot.ini. Your wrong about SCSI only having one advantage. :-) If
>> you are doing video editing, running a server, generating large database
>> reports, anything that demands high CPU time while simultaneously
>> accessing the hard drive SCSI has much faster performance. Also "most"
>> SCSI drives have higher MTBF, faster rotation therefore faster sustained
>> data transfer etc. There is a reason SCSI drives are more expensive. SATA
>> may eventually equal them but at that point they will cost the same and
>> require expensive hardware controllers as well.
>>
>> Kerry
>>

>>> "Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:57:21 PM

> the one thing I miss is the fast initial boot in the non-Adaptec-scsi
> system specially when debugging problems where you have to do constant
> re-boots. My Adaptec 320 controller adds about 10 seconds to it.

*Shudder*

I fully agree with you there. I despise the servers that have 2-3 different
raid controllers, each taking 10-15 seconds to find out that there are/arn't
any drives, and let me move on.

Matt Gibson - GSEC
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 6:38:09 PM

Sorry,wont work with a SATA drive and/or SCSI.Do a fresh install,use the
file transfer wizard to save settings,youre files.IDE drives
cloning-mirroring
works fine.

"Zalman" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not find.
> I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration (2
> seagate 80gb barracudas).
> I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard Drive
> and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
>
> Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I clone to
> the SCSI will I be able to boot?
> What problems may I face if I ever do this?
> Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
>
> Thank you.

May 12, 2005 4:03:17 PM

Hi.. looks like we don't have a consensus here.. :)
Some people say it will work, some say will not...
Andrew, you confirm that cloning a RAID 0 will not work?
I am almost giving up.. I think I'll buy another HD and make an image.. or
build a new box from scratch with a SCSi...

Anyway.. thank you very much for your help guys, I apreciate (and sorry for
my bad english).

Zalman

"Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> escreveu na mensagem
> Sorry,wont work with a SATA drive and/or SCSI.Do a fresh install,use the
> file transfer wizard to save settings,youre files.IDE drives
> cloning-mirroring
> works fine.
>
> "Zalman" wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not
>> find.
>> I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration
>> (2
>> seagate 80gb barracudas).
>> I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard Drive
>> and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
>>
>> Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I clone
>> the SCSI will I be able to boot?
>> What problems may I face if I ever do this?
>> Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
>>
>> Thank you.

May 12, 2005 4:03:18 PM

Zalman,

That is nonsense. The cloning software has no idea if the hardrive is RAID
or not. The only problem will be if the hardware does not know what RAID is
and more specifically, if your cloning software runs from DOS then some
additional drivers may be needed to tell the hardware how to access the
RAID. If the cloning software runs under OS then there should be no problem
at all since all the appropriate drivers to access the RAID are already
installed, otherwise you will not be able to see the drive.

--
Pavel

> Hi.. looks like we don't have a consensus here.. :)
> Some people say it will work, some say will not...
> Andrew, you confirm that cloning a RAID 0 will not work?
> I am almost giving up.. I think I'll buy another HD and make an image.. or
> build a new box from scratch with a SCSi...
>
> Anyway.. thank you very much for your help guys, I apreciate (and sorry
> for my bad english).
>
> Zalman
>

> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> Sorry,wont work with a SATA drive and/or SCSI.Do a fresh install,use the
>> file transfer wizard to save settings,youre files.IDE drives
>> cloning-mirroring
>> works fine.
>>
>> "Zalman" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not
>>> find.
>>> I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration
>>> (2
>>> seagate 80gb barracudas).
>>> I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard
>>> Drive
>>> and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
>>>
>>> Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I
>>> clone to
>>> the SCSI will I be able to boot?
>>> What problems may I face if I ever do this?
>>> Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
>>>
>>> Thank you.

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 4:03:18 PM

"Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
> Hi.. looks like we don't have a consensus here.. :)
> Some people say it will work, some say will not...
> Andrew, you confirm that cloning a RAID 0 will not work?
> I am almost giving up.. I think I'll buy another HD and make an image.. or
> build a new box from scratch with a SCSi...
>
> Anyway.. thank you very much for your help guys, I apreciate (and sorry
> for my bad english).
>
> Zalman

Most cloning/imaging software has many options. With RAID 0 you probably
won't be able to do a sector by sector image but rather a file by file copy.
In the end your system is transfered so what does it matter?

Kerry

> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> Sorry,wont work with a SATA drive and/or SCSI.Do a fresh install,use the
>> file transfer wizard to save settings,youre files.IDE drives
>> cloning-mirroring
>> works fine.
>>
>> "Zalman" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and could not
>>> find.
>>> I have my Windows XP Pro setup and running ok on a RAID 0 configuration
>>> (2
>>> seagate 80gb barracudas).
>>> I know RAID 0 is not fail safe, so I am planning to buy a SCSI Hard
>>> Drive
>>> and clone my OS to the SCSI using Northon Gosth.
>>>
>>> Question: Will that work? I mean, everything is working fiine, if I
>>> clone to
>>> the SCSI will I be able to boot?
>>> What problems may I face if I ever do this?
>>> Waiting your answer before rushing to the stores.
>>>
>>> Thank you.

May 12, 2005 4:22:38 PM

Kerry,

This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing where you have to
copy file by file in order to clone RAID 0. I have been doing sector by
sector for many years on all kind of different system. Actually, I do not
even see such option in Ghost (Drive Image). On the other hand, maybe I do
not know the workings of Ghost and it is possible that it does file by file
but my understanding from reading the literature was that it is done on
sector by sector.

--
Pavel

news:o Kos68xVFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
>> Hi.. looks like we don't have a consensus here.. :)
>> Some people say it will work, some say will not...
>> Andrew, you confirm that cloning a RAID 0 will not work?
>> I am almost giving up.. I think I'll buy another HD and make an image..
>> or build a new box from scratch with a SCSi...
>>
>> Anyway.. thank you very much for your help guys, I apreciate (and sorry
>> for my bad english).
>>
>> Zalman
>>

> Most cloning/imaging software has many options. With RAID 0 you probably
> won't be able to do a sector by sector image but rather a file by file
> copy. In the end your system is transfered so what does it matter?
>
> Kerry
>

>> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> escreveu na mensagem
>>> Sorry,wont work with a SATA drive and/or SCSI.Do a fresh install,use the
>>> file transfer wizard to save settings,youre files.IDE drives
>>> cloning-mirroring
>>> works fine.

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 4:56:22 PM

> Kerry,
>
> This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing where you have to
> copy file by file in order to clone RAID 0. I have been doing sector by
> sector for many years on all kind of different system. Actually, I do not
> even see such option in Ghost (Drive Image). On the other hand, maybe I do
> not know the workings of Ghost and it is possible that it does file by
> file but my understanding from reading the literature was that it is done
> on sector by sector.
>

> --
> Pavel

I haven't used Ghost for years. I use True Image. It's not installed on this
computer so I can't check but I'm sure it does both depending on what
options you choose. I can't remember the exact terminology but I believe an
image is sector based and a clone is file based. Maybe someone with more
knowledge of Ghost can let us know.

Kerry

> news:o Kos68xVFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> "Zalman" <zalman@zalman.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi.. looks like we don't have a consensus here.. :)
>>> Some people say it will work, some say will not...
>>> Andrew, you confirm that cloning a RAID 0 will not work?
>>> I am almost giving up.. I think I'll buy another HD and make an image..
>>> or build a new box from scratch with a SCSi...
>>>
>>> Anyway.. thank you very much for your help guys, I apreciate (and sorry
>>> for my bad english).
>>>
>>> Zalman
>>>

>> Most cloning/imaging software has many options. With RAID 0 you probably
>> won't be able to do a sector by sector image but rather a file by file
>> copy. In the end your system is transfered so what does it matter?
>>
>> Kerry
>>

>>> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> escreveu na mensagem

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 12:01:41 AM

In article <ubol7xyVFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
tems.c*a*m says...
> I haven't used Ghost for years. I use True Image. It's not installed on this
> computer so I can't check but I'm sure it does both depending on what
> options you choose. I can't remember the exact terminology but I believe an
> image is sector based and a clone is file based. Maybe someone with more
> knowledge of Ghost can let us know.

Depending on the drivers used for the RAID controller, you can use an
Image to restore to a non-raid or other RAID array.

If your RAID is hardware based and you have a bootable disk/cd with
drivers that support it, then you can restore any image made by Ghost to
it - and it doesn't matter if it was RAID-0/1/5.

If you did a soft-RAID (using the OS), since you can't image a drive in
Windows, at least not one you're actually using for the OS, you can't
really support it, unless you can get a DOS disk with drivers that lets
you some how see the R/0 array from a bootable diskette/cd.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
May 13, 2005 12:01:42 AM

Leythos wrote:

> In article <ubol7xyVFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
> tems.c*a*m says...
>
>>I haven't used Ghost for years. I use True Image. It's not installed on this
>>computer so I can't check but I'm sure it does both depending on what
>>options you choose. I can't remember the exact terminology but I believe an
>>image is sector based and a clone is file based. Maybe someone with more
>>knowledge of Ghost can let us know.
>

> Depending on the drivers used for the RAID controller, you can use an
> Image to restore to a non-raid or other RAID array.
>
> If your RAID is hardware based and you have a bootable disk/cd with
> drivers that support it, then you can restore any image made by Ghost to
> it - and it doesn't matter if it was RAID-0/1/5.
>
> If you did a soft-RAID (using the OS), since you can't image a drive in
> Windows, at least not one you're actually using for the OS, you can't
> really support it, unless you can get a DOS disk with drivers that lets
> you some how see the R/0 array from a bootable diskette/cd.

Ghost 9/Drive Image 7 can image everything within Windows, including the
system partition. It can also restore everything *but* the system
partition within Windows - but that's still not a problem as the
restoration environment is built on WinPE, so you have the opportunity
to load RAID drivers during boot if required.

Sunny
!