folder content disappear

A few days ago i reinstalled windows XP on my computer and chdsk corrupted my
dives that were over 128 gb.

So i added SP1 rebooted were it tried to repair my drives a second time
increasing the problem a bit but that was it. So i thought that now was the
time for recovery.

I still had about 100 gb free on one of these 250gb Hd so i left the one
with the important data completely untouched and i started dumping everything
i gould get back on these 100 gb left to burn them later.

During this process, wich lasted a couple of days everything went well so i
really thought that everything was back in order. But suddenly when i tried
to copy paste one folder from my untouched drive to my dump one windows said
that the drive couldnt be accessed because it was corrupted. Smelling danger
i immediately proceeded to install nero and rebooted to burn all the stuff i
had saved before an other unforeseen problem arise.

During the reboot sequence windows said that it wanted to repair my drive
once again. this time i didnt let him of course.

When i rebooted, my dump drive seemed ok but it wasnt. The folder with the
stuff to burn was there but completely empty while the other folder with the
unchecked stuff couldnt be accessed because it was corrupted.

What i dont get is that i didnt do anything except save and copy files, what
happened to make stuff that worked perfectly suddenly disappear.

Is there some kind of hidden maintenance program that is screwing up
everything? I have used 1 250 gb Hd for over a year now without ever
encoutering any problem but now nothing work and im pretty desperate. Should
i let windows do the repairation?

I scanned the dump drive with get data back and once again i discoved that
many files i could save were just no longer working while others were
perfectly fine. This time it seem that it the file system that got wiped out
since i discovered one of the broken file was a part of an other file.

What can i do? will there be others problem that i cant imagine? Should i
stop using HD's over 120 gb?
9 answers Last reply
More about folder content disappear

    "Is there some kind of hidden maintenance program that is screwing up
    everything?"

    Look in the mirror. XP Gold didn't support large disks.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Pissed user" <Pisseduser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > A few days ago i reinstalled windows XP on my computer and chdsk corrupted
    my
    > dives that were over 128 gb.
    >
    > So i added SP1 rebooted were it tried to repair my drives a second time
    > increasing the problem a bit but that was it. So i thought that now was
    the
    > time for recovery.
    >
    > I still had about 100 gb free on one of these 250gb Hd so i left the one
    > with the important data completely untouched and i started dumping
    everything
    > i gould get back on these 100 gb left to burn them later.
    >
    > During this process, wich lasted a couple of days everything went well so
    > really thought that everything was back in order. But suddenly when i
    tried
    > to copy paste one folder from my untouched drive to my dump one windows
    said
    > that the drive couldnt be accessed because it was corrupted. Smelling
    danger
    > i immediately proceeded to install nero and rebooted to burn all the
    stuff i
    > had saved before an other unforeseen problem arise.
    >
    > During the reboot sequence windows said that it wanted to repair my drive
    > once again. this time i didnt let him of course.
    >
    > When i rebooted, my dump drive seemed ok but it wasnt. The folder with the
    > stuff to burn was there but completely empty while the other folder with
    the
    > unchecked stuff couldnt be accessed because it was corrupted.
    >
    > What i dont get is that i didnt do anything except save and copy files,
    what
    > happened to make stuff that worked perfectly suddenly disappear.
    >
    > Is there some kind of hidden maintenance program that is screwing up
    > everything? I have used 1 250 gb Hd for over a year now without ever
    > encoutering any problem but now nothing work and im pretty desperate.
    Should
    > i let windows do the repairation?
    >
    > I scanned the dump drive with get data back and once again i discoved that
    > many files i could save were just no longer working while others were
    > perfectly fine. This time it seem that it the file system that got wiped
    out
    > since i discovered one of the broken file was a part of an other file.
    >
    > What can i do? will there be others problem that i cant imagine? Should i
    > stop using HD's over 120 gb?

    Sorry but i only know indows XP home and pro never heard of your gold thing.

    SEcond according to this
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=928&p_created=1049320914&p_sid=1ZSPvaFh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD03NzAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

    windows XP does support HD larger then 128 Gb as long as they have SP1

    Third if it didnt how come the files were perfectly fine and suddenly after
    a reboot they are all gone?

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > "Is there some kind of hidden maintenance program that is screwing up
    > everything?"
    >
    > Look in the mirror. XP Gold didn't support large disks.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."
    >
    > "Pissed user" <Pisseduser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > A few days ago i reinstalled windows XP on my computer and chdsk corrupted
    > my
    > > dives that were over 128 gb.
    > >
    > > So i added SP1 rebooted were it tried to repair my drives a second time
    > > increasing the problem a bit but that was it. So i thought that now was
    > the
    > > time for recovery.
    > >
    > > I still had about 100 gb free on one of these 250gb Hd so i left the one
    > > with the important data completely untouched and i started dumping
    > everything
    > > i gould get back on these 100 gb left to burn them later.
    > >
    > > During this process, wich lasted a couple of days everything went well so
    > > really thought that everything was back in order. But suddenly when i
    > tried
    > > to copy paste one folder from my untouched drive to my dump one windows
    > said
    > > that the drive couldnt be accessed because it was corrupted. Smelling
    > danger
    > > i immediately proceeded to install nero and rebooted to burn all the
    > stuff i
    > > had saved before an other unforeseen problem arise.
    > >
    > > During the reboot sequence windows said that it wanted to repair my drive
    > > once again. this time i didnt let him of course.
    > >
    > > When i rebooted, my dump drive seemed ok but it wasnt. The folder with the
    > > stuff to burn was there but completely empty while the other folder with
    > the
    > > unchecked stuff couldnt be accessed because it was corrupted.
    > >
    > > What i dont get is that i didnt do anything except save and copy files,
    > what
    > > happened to make stuff that worked perfectly suddenly disappear.
    > >
    > > Is there some kind of hidden maintenance program that is screwing up
    > > everything? I have used 1 250 gb Hd for over a year now without ever
    > > encoutering any problem but now nothing work and im pretty desperate.
    > Should
    > > i let windows do the repairation?
    > >
    > > I scanned the dump drive with get data back and once again i discoved that
    > > many files i could save were just no longer working while others were
    > > perfectly fine. This time it seem that it the file system that got wiped
    > out
    > > since i discovered one of the broken file was a part of an other file.
    > >
    > > What can i do? will there be others problem that i cant imagine? Should i
    > > stop using HD's over 120 gb?

    Let me educate you, my friend: XP 'Gold' is the original version of XP
    before any updates, including service packs. Now what do you think might
    happen if you re-install 'Gold' on a large disk without careful planning?
    --

> [...]
    files,
    > > what
    > > > happened to make stuff that worked perfectly suddenly disappear.
    > > >
    > > > Is there some kind of hidden maintenance program that is screwing up
    > > > everything? I have used 1 250 gb Hd for over a year now without ever
    > > > encoutering any problem but now nothing work and im pretty desperate.
    > > Should
    > > > i let windows do the repairation?
    > > >
    > > > I scanned the dump drive with get data back and once again i discoved
    that
    > > > many files i could save were just no longer working while others were
    > > > perfectly fine. This time it seem that it the file system that got
    wiped
    > > out
    > > > since i discovered one of the broken file was a part of an other file.
    > > >
    > > > What can i do? will there be others problem that i cant imagine?

    Yeah that i already learned the hard way.

    What i dont get is why did the stuff that i added after installing SP1 thus
    supporting big hard drives disappeared. This stuff should mave been ok and it
    was until i rebooted. This is the part i dont understand.
    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > Let me educate you, my friend: XP 'Gold' is the original version of XP
    > before any updates, including service packs. Now what do you think might
    > happen if you re-install 'Gold' on a large disk without careful planning?
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."
    >
    > "Pissed user" <Pisseduser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry but i only know indows XP home and pro never heard of your gold
    > thing.
    > >
    > > SEcond according to this
    > >
    > http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=928&p_created=1049320914&p_sid=1ZSPvaFh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD03NzAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
    > >
    > > windows XP does support HD larger then 128 Gb as long as they have SP1
    > >
    > > Third if it didnt how come the files were perfectly fine and suddenly
    > after
    > > a reboot they are all gone?
    > >
    > > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Is there some kind of hidden maintenance program that is screwing up
    > > > everything?"
    > > >
    > > > Look in the mirror. XP Gold didn't support large disks.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Ted Zieglar
    > > > "You can do it if you try."
    > > >
    > > > "Pissed user" <Pisseduser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > corrupted
    > > > my

    > time
    > was
    > > > the

    > one
    > > > everything

    > so
    > > > tried
    > windows
    > > > said
    > > > danger
    > > > stuff i

    > drive

    > the
    > with
    > > > the

    > files,
    > > > what

    > > > Should

    > that
    > wiped
    > > > out

    > Should i

    I can't say why, specifically, that happened. Judging from your original
    post, it appears that you did things incorrectly, and that can lead to
    unpredictable results.

    Whatever, none of that matters now. Have you recovered all your data files?
    (Or do you have a sufficiently recent backup?)
    --

    > Yeah that i already learned the hard way.
    >
    > What i dont get is why did the stuff that i added after installing SP1
    thus
    > supporting big hard drives disappeared. This stuff should mave been ok and
    it
    > was until i rebooted. This is the part i dont understand.
    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >
    > > Let me educate you, my friend: XP 'Gold' is the original version of XP
    > > before any updates, including service packs. Now what do you think might
    > > happen if you re-install 'Gold' on a large disk without careful
    planning?
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > > "You can do it if you try."
    > >
    > > "Pissed user" <Pisseduser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Sorry but i only know indows XP home and pro never heard of your gold
    > > thing.
    > > >
    > > > SEcond according to this

    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=928&p_created=1049320914&p_sid=1ZSPvaFh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD03NzAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

    > > > windows XP does support HD larger then 128 Gb as long as they have SP1
    > > >
    > > > Third if it didnt how come the files were perfectly fine and suddenly
    > > after
    > > > a reboot they are all gone?

    > > corrupted

    > > time
    > > was

    > > one

    > > so
    > > windows
    Smelling

    > > drive

    > > the
    > > with

    > > files,

    > > that
    > > wiped

    > > Should i

    Well i dont make use of backup so im not that screwed but i still have a few
    things that were waiting to be burned that are partially lost. the main
    problem is that im no longer sure since what i had recovered and was planning
    to burn is gone again. I guess that takind a Hd that had already been screwed
    by waindows and hoping that the remaining space was usable normally was a
    really stupid idea. What mesmerize me thought is why it took about 3 rebbots
    were things went perfectly and then things started going wrong. But well that
    must fall in the unpredicatable results that you were referring to.

    Now i just want to at least be sure that things wont go wrong again.

    I completely formatted one of them and am trying to get back what i had had
    already got back by using getdataback and copying everything i find on my
    just formatted Hd these files are safe right? even if they are completely
    destroyed, they will stay exactly the same even if it take me a few days
    before burning them right? becuase i try to sort things before burning but
    after my second loss im no longer sure of what im doing.

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > I can't say why, specifically, that happened. Judging from your original
    > post, it appears that you did things incorrectly, and that can lead to
    > unpredictable results.
    >
    > Whatever, none of that matters now. Have you recovered all your data files?
    > (Or do you have a sufficiently recent backup?)
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."
    >
    > "Pissed user" <Pisseduser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yeah that i already learned the hard way.
    > >
    > > What i dont get is why did the stuff that i added after installing SP1
    > thus
    > > supporting big hard drives disappeared. This stuff should mave been ok and
    > it
    > > was until i rebooted. This is the part i dont understand.
    > > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Let me educate you, my friend: XP 'Gold' is the original version of XP
    > > > before any updates, including service packs. Now what do you think might
    > > > happen if you re-install 'Gold' on a large disk without careful
    > planning?
    > > > --
    > > > Ted Zieglar
    > > > "You can do it if you try."
    > > >
    > > > "Pissed user" <Pisseduser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > thing.

    > http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=928&p_created=1049320914&p_sid=1ZSPvaFh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD03NzAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

    > > > after

    > up

    > message
    > > > corrupted

    > > > time
    > now
    > > > was

    > the
    > > > one

    > well
    > > > so
    > when i
    > > > windows
    > Smelling
    > the

    > my
    > > > drive

    > with
    > > > the
    > folder
    > > > with

    > > > files,

    > up
    > ever
    > desperate.

    > discoved
    > > > that
    > were
    > got
    > > > wiped
    > file.

    > > > Should i

    Its i do make use of backups not dont and i dont know how to edit sorry

    "Pissed user" wrote:

    > Well i dont make use of backup so im not that screwed but i still have a few
    > things that were waiting to be burned that are partially lost. the main
    > problem is that im no longer sure since what i had recovered and was planning
    > to burn is gone again. I guess that takind a Hd that had already been screwed
    > by waindows and hoping that the remaining space was usable normally was a
    > really stupid idea. What mesmerize me thought is why it took about 3 rebbots
    > were things went perfectly and then things started going wrong. But well that
    > must fall in the unpredicatable results that you were referring to.
    >
    > Now i just want to at least be sure that things wont go wrong again.
    >
    > I completely formatted one of them and am trying to get back what i had had
    > already got back by using getdataback and copying everything i find on my
    > just formatted Hd these files are safe right? even if they are completely
    > destroyed, they will stay exactly the same even if it take me a few days
    > before burning them right? becuase i try to sort things before burning but
    > after my second loss im no longer sure of what im doing.
    >
    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >
    > > I can't say why, specifically, that happened. Judging from your original
    > > post, it appears that you did things incorrectly, and that can lead to
    > > unpredictable results.
    > >
    > > Whatever, none of that matters now. Have you recovered all your data files?
    > > (Or do you have a sufficiently recent backup?)
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > > "You can do it if you try."
    > >
    > > "Pissed user" <Pisseduser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Yeah that i already learned the hard way.
    > > >
    > > > What i dont get is why did the stuff that i added after installing SP1
    > > thus
    > > > supporting big hard drives disappeared. This stuff should mave been ok and
    > > it
    > > > was until i rebooted. This is the part i dont understand.

    > > planning?

    > > http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=928&p_created=1049320914&p_sid=1ZSPvaFh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD03NzAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

    > > up

    > > message

    > > now

    > > the

    > > well
    > > when i
    > > Smelling
    > > the

    > > my

    > > with
    > > folder

    > > up
    > > ever
    > > desperate.

    > > discoved
    > > were
    > > got
    > > file.

    My friend, you've got no one to blame but yourself. I'm afraid there's no
    other assistance I can offer you.
    --

> [...]
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > > "You can do it if you try."
    > >
    > > "Pissed user" <Pisseduser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Yeah that i already learned the hard way.
    > > >
    > > > What i dont get is why did the stuff that i added after installing SP1
    > > thus
    > > > supporting big hard drives disappeared. This stuff should mave been ok
    and
    > > it
    > > > was until i rebooted. This is the part i dont understand.

    XP
    > > planning?

    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=928&p_created=1049320914&p_sid=1ZSPvaFh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD03NzAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

    Thats what i had guessed but my newly formated drive is safe now isnt it?

    Thanks a lot for your help by the way.

Windows XP