HP LJ5M - horizontal black bands

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I've got a customer with an HP LJ 5M which is producing horizontal black
bands.

I obstructed the laser and so confirmed it's not a mirror/scanning fault.

The marks appear before it reaches the fuser.

The marks are the full width of the page except for a small amount on the
left edge of the printout

The bands are fairly sharp but not absolutely sharp edged, particularly at
the left side where it quickly fades off to the edge.

They are not in the same place all the time and it's not always the same
pattern although there are similarities.

See below for ASCII art rep. of the output.

The thicker lines (a) are not in the same place on each page, there's
notmally two but on one page there was three. Putting two pages side by
side, the lines (a) will line up if page two if offset up or down from
page one.

On some pages (eg page 2 below) a couple of thinner lines (maybe 1/8"
thick) are also present as shown, but not always.

Any clues? TIA

Page 1
-------------------------------
| |
| |
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (a)
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

--
xtalsinger@yahoo.com is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it every day.

Have you replaced the transfer roller?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:16:52 GMT, Dave <xtalsinger@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've got a customer with an HP LJ 5M which is producing horizontal black
>bands.
>
>I obstructed the laser and so confirmed it's not a mirror/scanning fault.
>
>The marks appear before it reaches the fuser.
>
>The marks are the full width of the page except for a small amount on the
>left edge of the printout
>
>The bands are fairly sharp but not absolutely sharp edged, particularly at
>the left side where it quickly fades off to the edge.
>
>They are not in the same place all the time and it's not always the same
>pattern although there are similarities.
>
>See below for ASCII art rep. of the output.
>
>The thicker lines (a) are not in the same place on each page, there's
>notmally two but on one page there was three. Putting two pages side by
>side, the lines (a) will line up if page two if offset up or down from
>page one.
>
>On some pages (eg page 2 below) a couple of thinner lines (maybe 1/8"
>thick) are also present as shown, but not always.
>
>Any clues? TIA
>
>Page 1
>-------------------------------
>| |
>| |
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (a)
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (a)
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
>-------------------------------
>
>Page 2
>-------------------------------
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (a)
>| |
>| |
>| |
> ============================== (b)
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
>| |
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (a)
>| |
>=============================== (b)
>| |
>| |
>| |
>-------------------------------

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:51:23 -0400, in comp.periphs.printers, MrManuals
<support@manuals4you.com> wrote:

>Have you replaced the transfer roller?

Not yet. It doesn't look like any transfer roller fault I've seen before
so I thought I'd ask around first.

The original fault description I was given so poor I had no idea what I
was going out to see :-(

Thanks for the suggestion. With a 200 mile round trip I'd like to be
armed for all possible eventualities when I go down next.

Dave

--
xtalsinger@yahoo.com is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it every day.

magpie

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:05:34 GMT, Dave <xtalsinger@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:51:23 -0400, in comp.periphs.printers, MrManuals
><support@manuals4you.com> wrote:
>
>>Have you replaced the transfer roller?
>

>Not yet. It doesn't look like any transfer roller fault I've seen before
>so I thought I'd ask around first.
>
>The original fault description I was given so poor I had no idea what I
>was going out to see :-(
>
>Thanks for the suggestion. With a 200 mile round trip I'd like to be
>armed for all possible eventualities when I go down next.
>
>Dave

Not transfer roller problem. The spacing between the bands indicates a
bad imaging drum. Your cartridge is toast. replace it.

Frank

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:12:19 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers,
magpie@shinythings.com wrote:

>Not transfer roller problem. The spacing between the bands indicates a
>bad imaging drum. Your cartridge is toast. replace it.

I didn't think it would be the xfre roller. It did turn out to be the
cart. The customer got a replacement and tested it as I'd asked her to
do.

Thanks

Dave

--