SY-K7VTA PRO - USB ports not compatible w/USB2

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2004 4:30:50 PM

Hello all,

I have an SY-K7VTA Pro / 1.2GHz AMD Athlon / XP Pro / 640 MB RAM.

Connecting a USB2 device (Epson Printer) causes the "blue screen of death"
and
requires that I disconnect the printer from the USB port before a reset will
complete.

I've purchased a PCI USB2 card, however connecting this printer through the
new USB2 port yields the
same results (BSOD.) The printer works just fine, however, on my laptop
(USB1) and another desktop
(also USB1).

I've seen one fix suggesting flashing the BIOS with the latest-I have done
so
but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, direction??

Thanks for reading
Paul
September 30, 2004 11:39:29 PM

Hello,
Sorry to hear your having so much trouble. I have a Canon MP730 printer
which works fine with my SY-K7VTA Pro motherboard. I have the kvtp2ba1.bin
BIOS installed. My printer is for a USB1. I can only suggest your make sure
in the BIOS under chipset features make sure the onchip usb is enabled and
under pnp/pci configuration make sure assign irq for usb is enabled. I'm not
familiar with the Epson but the Canon requires the printer driver to be
installed before connecting the usb cable. You probably already know all
this but thought I would mention it just in case. Good luck.

"Paul Marihew" <marihew@mho.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have an SY-K7VTA Pro / 1.2GHz AMD Athlon / XP Pro / 640 MB RAM.
>
> Connecting a USB2 device (Epson Printer) causes the "blue screen of death"
> and
> requires that I disconnect the printer from the USB port before a reset
> will
> complete.
>
> I've purchased a PCI USB2 card, however connecting this printer through
> the new USB2 port yields the
> same results (BSOD.) The printer works just fine, however, on my laptop
> (USB1) and another desktop
> (also USB1).
>
> I've seen one fix suggesting flashing the BIOS with the latest-I have done
> so
> but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, direction??
>
> Thanks for reading
> Paul

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2004 11:39:30 PM

I have the kvtp2ba1.bin BIOS as well. My old Canon bubblejet ran flawlessly
on this box also. The Epson manual made a *very* big deal of loading the
print driver prior to connecting theUSB cable. I was aware of the onchip
USB enable but didn't know about enabling the Assign IRQ for USB. Alas, it
was already enabled and the problem remains. Thanks for your time.

Paul

"JimBob" <user@unknown.net> wrote in message news:RhZ6d.11$5R6.9@trnddc09...
> Hello,
> Sorry to hear your having so much trouble. I have a Canon MP730 printer
> which works fine with my SY-K7VTA Pro motherboard. I have the kvtp2ba1.bin
> BIOS installed. My printer is for a USB1. I can only suggest your make
> sure in the BIOS under chipset features make sure the onchip usb is
> enabled and under pnp/pci configuration make sure assign irq for usb is
> enabled. I'm not familiar with the Epson but the Canon requires the
> printer driver to be installed before connecting the usb cable. You
> probably already know all this but thought I would mention it just in
> case. Good luck.
>
> "" <> wrote in message news:FaOdnTF1to5NzcHcRVn-jw@mho.net...
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have an SY-K7VTA Pro / 1.2GHz AMD Athlon / XP Pro / 640 MB RAM.
>>
>> Connecting a USB2 device (Epson Printer) causes the "blue screen of
>> death" and
>> requires that I disconnect the printer from the USB port before a reset
>> will
>> complete.
>>
>> I've purchased a PCI USB2 card, however connecting this printer through
>> the new USB2 port yields the
>> same results (BSOD.) The printer works just fine, however, on my laptop
>> (USB1) and another desktop
>> (also USB1).
>>
>> I've seen one fix suggesting flashing the BIOS with the latest-I have
>> done so
>> but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, direction??
>>
>> Thanks for reading
>> Paul

October 1, 2004 5:08:38 PM

Hi,
One other thing I forgot to mention. With my printer it also warned after
installing the driver to not turn off the computer until all the setup of
the printer was finished. By this I mean connecting the power cord to the
printer, telephone cable if you have Fax, and installing the print head and
inks and aligning the print head. After all that is accomplished then the
very last thing is to connect the USB cable. Don't know how you printer sets
up but thought I would mention this.

!