Formatting new hard drive problem

May 14, 2005 3:45:23 AM

Hi,
I'm sooo new at this so please bear with me.
I have just put in a new hard drive so l can put XP on hubbie's
machine. It all started ok, l partitioned it ok but when l went to
format it, it gets to 80% and then l get this nice little message
"TRYING TO RECOVER ALLOCATION UNIT 1,575.000" and the number is getting
larger.

What's happening?????????? how can l fix it pleaseeeeeeee

Annie

--
anniestingPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

anniesting wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm sooo new at this so please bear with me.
> I have just put in a new hard drive so l can put XP on hubbie's
> machine. It all started ok, l partitioned it ok but when l went to
> format it, it gets to 80% and then l get this nice little message
> "TRYING TO RECOVER ALLOCATION UNIT 1,575.000" and the number is
> getting larger.
>
> What's happening?????????? how can l fix it pleaseeeeeeee
>
> Annie

Annie, with a hard drive so small, and running XP, you will only want to
have one partition on the drive. This is because applications (which should
be put on another drive) install parts of themselves on the XP (boot) drive.
If you were planning to use this drive as the only hard drive, you will have
to take special measures to avoid a full drive occurring very soon.
This also raises the question of the other components of this machine. If it
is old, do you realize it may not run XP well at all?
Recommend you do not partition the drive if it is 8 Gig.
Therefore, see if you can start over, making one partition and formatting
that. Let us know of any problems.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 6:36:30 AM

What's the size of the HD? Version of XP you're trying to install? Any SPs
on it?

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"anniesting" <anniesting.1ozsca@> kirjoitti viestissä

> Hi,
> I'm sooo new at this so please bear with me.
> I have just put in a new hard drive so l can put XP on hubbie's
> machine. It all started ok, l partitioned it ok but when l went to
> format it, it gets to 80% and then l get this nice little message
> "TRYING TO RECOVER ALLOCATION UNIT 1,575.000" and the number is getting
> larger.
>
> What's happening?????????? how can l fix it pleaseeeeeeee
>
> Annie
>

> --
> anniestingPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

May 14, 2005 6:36:31 AM

It's only 8Gb and l'm trying to install XP home edition.

--
anniestingPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 9:25:08 AM

Thank you for your help. I will try it and see what happens.
Hubby only plays cards on his machine so l'm not to worried about how
much room it will take up. I just wanted to network it with mine so he
can access the internet.

will get back to you if l have a problem.
Annie

--
anniestingPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:47:02 PM

With a 8Gb hard drive, you may have a problem in installing XP. It seems
that XP required at least 10GB it successfully install onto an hard drive.
However, all may not be lost! Look for nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/)
which would/could help you in shrinking the install.

"anniesting" <anniesting.1ozzpa@> wrote in message

> It's only 8Gb and l'm trying to install XP home edition.
>

> --
> anniestingPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 4:37:22 AM

Thanks,
After all that happen, i finally got XP home on to hubbies computer
without any hicups {fingers crossed} even after l installed service
pack 2 on to it.Mind you l only have 4.5 Gb left
My next question is; if l try this http://www.nliteos to shrink the
size of XP, what components do l get rid of?, remembering that l'm no
expert at these things. Mind you l'm willing to learn.

annie

--
anniestingPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:03:36 PM

anniesting wrote:
> Thanks,
> After all that happen, i finally got XP home on to hubbies computer
> without any hicups {fingers crossed} even after l installed service
> pack 2 on to it.Mind you l only have 4.5 Gb left
> My next question is; if l try this http://www.nliteos to shrink the
> size of XP, what components do l get rid of?, remembering that l'm no
> expert at these things. Mind you l'm willing to learn.
>
> annie

Hi anniesting.
Good going! And smart of you to consider nLite.
Why not get rid of ALL the excess components, if gaming is the sole purpose
of the computer? Windows is classic bloatware, and therefore in need of much
pruning. If you see a component you want to keep, keep it, and if you are
uncertain, just ask here.
Good luck.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:56:26 AM

You can buy a 30 gig hard drive for 40 dollars or on a good rebate sale
for 29 dollars. Either case, nlite is ok but you can remove many
things from windows within windows. I installed all options and it took
4.5 gig. I have installed many windows xp os's and never came across a
10 gig install. In my opinion you didn't need to use nlite. Trying to
recover allocation unit? Hmmm, my guess is that this hard drive has bad
spots on it. I have heard of this in many cases and it comes back to
haunt you. The hard drive might not last too long or it will give you
heck as you go. Return the hard drive. If you don't believe me, do a
search on allocation recovery during install on a new hard drive.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

Hi PC Daddy and thanks for your ideas.
I haven't tried nlite as yet as it was just an idea if needed. I know
it's only been a few days since this all happened but so far so good.
You are probably right about it having bad spots but when it finally
got through the formatting {6 hours later} XP went on very easily. If
it starts to have problems l will definatly look into a larger hard
drive but at the present hubby is very happy with it and l've learnt a
bit more and to me that was worth it {even if it stuffs up}
I still have the old hard which is only a 4 Gb, can l combine them?????
:)

--
anniestingPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 11:26:10 AM

Yes you can put two hard drives in. As long as you have a secondary ide
connector for your cd drives or whatever. There is a bit more involved
than just plugging it in but if you get serious let me know. I'll do
the best i can to help. As long as hubby is happy with the pc that's
what matters. My wife would be happy if i threw mine off a roof.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 11:46:57 AM

Thanks,
If you get time l would love to know how. When you say secondary IDE
connector do you mean anotheer power connector?????
My hubbie keeps telling everyone that his computer has a virus, it's
called Annie {Me} ha ha ha

--
anniestingPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 12:03:58 PM

LOL. so you're the cause. At least you're learning lol. Your mother
board has a connector to your hard drive. The flat ide cable that
plugged into the back of the hard drive. then a four pin white head
power connector. On the flat cable that plugged into the hard drive,
there should be another plug on that cable, some where in the middle.
That would be used for the 4 gig hard drive. There should also be
another power connector from the power supply, usually branched from
the other power connector that needs to plug into the second hard
drive. Now, the ide cable [the flat one] runs down to the mother board
and should be nearest the edge of the mother board. there should be a
second plug along side of it. You may or may not have another ide cable
plugged into it already. It would be a spitting image of the first
cable. I assume you don't have a scsi hard drive? On the first one,
with your current hard drive, would go your 4 gig. On the second cable
would be cd\dvd drive or whatever you have. Those also need power
connectors like the hard drive and ide cable. I assume you already went
into cmos and did a hard drive detect to set up the new hd. If you put
the 4 gig in, it needs to be the secondary and the 8 is the primary. I
don't know how much you know about this but if you have questions let
me know.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 12:51:34 PM

:D  yes l'm afraid so. But a girl has to start somewhere.
Now l'm pretty sure l have it all but for one thing, l don't have a
spare power cable........now what, a new power supply??????
:confused

--
anniestingPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 6:43:23 AM

You can get a splitter of sorts.The power plug will plug into the
splitter allowing for extra connections. Usually it's a 3 way
splitter. I have one on my athlon. They are usually only a couple of
bucks. I bought mine for 4.99.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous