UDMA6 SATA Drive detected as UDMA2 by SY-P4I865PE Plus Dra..

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 9, 2004 8:06:03 AM

I purchased a Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 v1.0 motherboard and a
Seagate 200GB SATA ST3200822AS drive. After installing the board I
updated the BIOS to the 2aa3 version and installed WinXP SP2.
Everything seemed to function fine until I ran the SiS Sandra
Performance Tune-up Wizard. Using the Sandra tools I discovered my
Seagate drive is capable of running in UDMA6 mode and the Soyo
motherboard was running it in UDMA2 mode. I checked the post screen,
and sure enough, the motherboard had auto-detected the drive as an
UDMA2 drive. I went into the BIOS setup screen to manually set the
UDMA setting of the drive, but the highest UDMA setting available was
UDMA2. Has anyone been able to set the UDMA setting of their drives
greater than UDMA2 with this BIOS version? Is this a limitation of
the i865 chipset or the Soyo BIOS? I submitted a question to Soyo
regarding this issue 3 days ago, but have not received a reply.

The other devices installed on this board are as follows:

AGP: ATI Radeon 9600

PCI#3: Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Secondary IDE Master: NEC ND-2510A DVD Burner

Memory Slots #1 & #3: Identical 512MB Micron 2700 DIMMS
October 11, 2004 4:02:20 PM

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 04:06:03 GMT, "robert@mit.edu" <robert@mit.edu>
wrote:

>I purchased a Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 v1.0 motherboard and a
>Seagate 200GB SATA ST3200822AS drive. After installing the board I
>updated the BIOS to the 2aa3 version and installed WinXP SP2.
>Everything seemed to function fine until I ran the SiS Sandra
>Performance Tune-up Wizard. Using the Sandra tools I discovered my
>Seagate drive is capable of running in UDMA6 mode and the Soyo
>motherboard was running it in UDMA2 mode. I checked the post screen,
>and sure enough, the motherboard had auto-detected the drive as an
>UDMA2 drive. I went into the BIOS setup screen to manually set the
>UDMA setting of the drive, but the highest UDMA setting available was
>UDMA2. Has anyone been able to set the UDMA setting of their drives
>greater than UDMA2 with this BIOS version? Is this a limitation of
>the i865 chipset or the Soyo BIOS? I submitted a question to Soyo
>regarding this issue 3 days ago, but have not received a reply.

I'm having similar problems with a SY-KT880 and a Raptor 74 gig drive.
I updated the bios because of it and afterwards ran another benchmark.
Now the drive speed is showing up as half of what it was before. I'm
not sure if it's from the new bios or some other tweak.

>The other devices installed on this board are as follows:
>
>AGP: ATI Radeon 9600
>
>PCI#3: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
>
>Secondary IDE Master: NEC ND-2510A DVD Burner
>
>Memory Slots #1 & #3: Identical 512MB Micron 2700 DIMMS
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2004 10:40:26 PM

varan9@yahoo.com (Ashish Varan) wrote in message news:<3334fd78.0410120643.3fcdd478@posting.google.com>...
> Does Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 support UDMA ? I guess Soyo
> SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 V1.0 has this support.
>
> http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=298
>
> http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=238
>
> See the IDE description section for these two mobo. Any one running
> Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 with UDMA set to Auto ?

Did you install the ICH5 chipset driver? Also did you install the
Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition software? Also another
possiblility is where you bought the board. If you look though any
motherboard group you will see a majority of the problems listed are
with products purchased at TigerDirect.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 14, 2004 11:27:09 AM

Thanks Jim. I do have latest chipset driver from Intel. The chipset (
ICH5 ) is not taking RAID driver and I don't have RAID configuration
either.

I do take your word that this 0 $ deal at tiger direct shipped me a
bad Soyo board as at every place this motherboard has got good
reviews.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2004 12:48:50 AM

Friends, I got it hard way. I missed setting the jumpers correct way.
One hard drive set as master having no jumper ( J50 ) or one CD ROM
running as slave with master mode jumper might have created the
problem. After I corrected that this motherboard is blazing fast. No
crackling at all.

Pentium 4 3 GHz. 800 FSB ( Prescott )
2 x 512 MB Dual Channel DDR ( PC3200 )
80 GB Maxtor ATA 133 & 15 GB Maxtor ATA 100 ( Both UDMA5 Mode )
256 MB ATI RADEON® 9600 PRO
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
LG GSA-4160B Dual format 16X super multi DVD/CD rewriter( UDMA4 Mode )
Samsung SM-348 48X/24X/16X CDRW-DVD( UDMA2 Mode )

ViewSonic VX910 19" flat monitor

Running XP Pro. SP2 with latest BIOS ( 9/22/2004 ), chipset, sound
card & AGP drivers. My first build. My dream machine :)
!