How to format SD 512Mb - fat 16, 32 ?

July 21, 2004 2:59:57 AM

Hi,

What du you think is the best way to format a SD 512Mb. I use it for
programs, maps, mp3, doc. files and web cache.

FAT size:
12, 16 or 32.

Cluster size
1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k, 32k.

Lars

More about : format 512mb fat

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 2:59:58 AM

I tried a few different settings. I've found FAT16 with a 4 k cluster to be
the best. Very low slack space.

"msnews.microsoft.com" <no@mail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> What du you think is the best way to format a SD 512Mb. I use it for
> programs, maps, mp3, doc. files and web cache.
>
> FAT size:
> 12, 16 or 32.
>
> Cluster size
> 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k, 32k.
>

> Lars

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 3:26:13 AM

"msnews.microsoft.com" <no@mail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> What du you think is the best way to format a SD 512Mb. I use it for
> programs, maps, mp3, doc. files and web cache.
>
> FAT size:
> 12, 16 or 32.
>
> Cluster size
> 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k, 32k.
>

> Lars

There is a maximum number of addressable clusters for a format type so the
cluster size gets set based on this - using smaller means you couldn't
address the full disk space.

The smaller the cluster size, the less wasted space. On average you will
have half of a cluster of wasted space for each file.

FAT12 was originally designed for use on floppies. It uses 12 bit to address
DiskClusters, hence the name. Since it restricts DiskClusters to a maximum
size of 16Kb, it can handle around 64MB total storage space at most.

FAT16 There's a 2-GB partition limit imposed by the maximum number of
clusters and the largest cluster size supported by the FAT file system. The
FAT file system is limited to 65,525 clusters. The size of a cluster must be
a power of 2 and less than 65,536 bytes--this results in a maximum cluster
size of 32,768 bytes (32K). Multiplying the maximum number of clusters
(65,525) by the maximum cluster size (32,768) equals 2 GB.

Then there are some minimum limitations that start to come in to play when
considering FAT32
It's around 260Mb, the maximum is of little concern at the moment (over 2
Terrabytes).

So you have a choice- FAT16 of FAT32. FAT16 would be supported by more kinds
of devices (such as mp3 players or digital cameras) than FAT32, but FAT32
would probably mean less 'wasted' space.

Bottom line- your choice.
July 21, 2004 3:26:14 AM

Would recommend simply formatting in with the defaults on a Windows
machine using a card reader... not sure about XP, but Win98 generates
both fat32 and fat16 tables.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 4:30:14 AM

You have to be careful using Windows utilities on cards formatted on other
devices. At times one of the bits is set differently in the disk header
making windows think the memory is corrupt. Letting Windows fix the problem
causes major scrambling of the device.

Win98SE supports fat32, original Win98 doesn't but the capability can be
added.

message news:eEhc65qbEHA.2292@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Would recommend simply formatting in with the defaults on a Windows
> machine using a card reader... not sure about XP, but Win98 generates
> both fat32 and fat16 tables.

July 21, 2004 5:04:49 AM

There is also a performance question. I read that

1kb cluster = less weasted space, but slow performance
32kb cluster = more weasted space, but faster than 1kb

I would like to know what others are using. And if someone did some kind of
testing.

Lars

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse

> "msnews.microsoft.com" <no@mail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > What du you think is the best way to format a SD 512Mb. I use it for
> > programs, maps, mp3, doc. files and web cache.
> >
> > FAT size:
> > 12, 16 or 32.
> >
> > Cluster size
> > 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k, 32k.
> >

> > Lars
> >

> There is a maximum number of addressable clusters for a format type so the
> cluster size gets set based on this - using smaller means you couldn't
> address the full disk space.
>
> The smaller the cluster size, the less wasted space. On average you will
> have half of a cluster of wasted space for each file.
>
> FAT12 was originally designed for use on floppies. It uses 12 bit to
address
> DiskClusters, hence the name. Since it restricts DiskClusters to a maximum
> size of 16Kb, it can handle around 64MB total storage space at most.
>
> FAT16 There's a 2-GB partition limit imposed by the maximum number of
> clusters and the largest cluster size supported by the FAT file system.
The
> FAT file system is limited to 65,525 clusters. The size of a cluster must
be
> a power of 2 and less than 65,536 bytes--this results in a maximum cluster
> size of 32,768 bytes (32K). Multiplying the maximum number of clusters
> (65,525) by the maximum cluster size (32,768) equals 2 GB.
>
> Then there are some minimum limitations that start to come in to play when
> considering FAT32
> It's around 260Mb, the maximum is of little concern at the moment (over 2
> Terrabytes).
>
> So you have a choice- FAT16 of FAT32. FAT16 would be supported by more
kinds
> of devices (such as mp3 players or digital cameras) than FAT32, but FAT32
> would probably mean less 'wasted' space.
>
> Bottom line- your choice.

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 5:04:50 AM

That depends on defragmentation and shows on hard disks with physical
movement and finite access times. It's less of an issue when using memory
cards- you don't have these latencies associated with file access.

!