12 USB ports? I only have six!

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I seem to have some sort of USB conflict. My board is an EPOX 8K5A2+ and I'm
running Windows XP SP2. There are (allegedly) six USB 2.0 ports on this
board: two are under the plugs for the keyboard and mouse, two are below
that, and two (I think) are disconnected, but they were for the case front
hookups.

When I plug my iPod into any of the four rear ports, I get a message telling
me something to the effect of: "This device can perform faster; plug it into
one of your six available high-speed ports." Not sure why it thinks I have
six available ports when I have the iPod and a printer hooked up to two of
them.

So I downloaded a USB diagnostics program, and it shows me that I have
TWELVE (?!) ports:
http://www.pittsburghsigmakappa.org/usb/1.JPG

My device manager more or less concurs:
http://www.pittsburghsigmakappa.org/usb/2.JPG

In this case, I tried uninstalling the three VIA Rev 5 drivers thinking they
were causing a conflict of some kind -- maybe piggybacking the six USB 2.0
drivers (hence the twelve) with something slower. But when I rebooted, "new
hardware was found" and they all came back. Everything looks good in BIOS --
the USB settings match the fail-safe defaults.

Any ideas what's going on here? It's driving me nuts. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Try opening device mgr.,scroll down to usb controller,R.click,select,update
drivers.

"Brian" wrote:

> I seem to have some sort of USB conflict. My board is an EPOX 8K5A2+ and I'm
> running Windows XP SP2. There are (allegedly) six USB 2.0 ports on this
> board: two are under the plugs for the keyboard and mouse, two are below
> that, and two (I think) are disconnected, but they were for the case front
> hookups.
>
> When I plug my iPod into any of the four rear ports, I get a message telling
> me something to the effect of: "This device can perform faster; plug it into
> one of your six available high-speed ports." Not sure why it thinks I have
> six available ports when I have the iPod and a printer hooked up to two of
> them.
>
> So I downloaded a USB diagnostics program, and it shows me that I have
> TWELVE (?!) ports:
> http://www.pittsburghsigmakappa.org/usb/1.JPG
>
> My device manager more or less concurs:
> http://www.pittsburghsigmakappa.org/usb/2.JPG
>
> In this case, I tried uninstalling the three VIA Rev 5 drivers thinking they
> were causing a conflict of some kind -- maybe piggybacking the six USB 2.0
> drivers (hence the twelve) with something slower. But when I rebooted, "new
> hardware was found" and they all came back. Everything looks good in BIOS --
> the USB settings match the fail-safe defaults.
>
> Any ideas what's going on here? It's driving me nuts. Thanks in advance.
>
> Brian

In Device Manager --> USB...

Remove all USB root hubs, ports and Enhanced USB adpaters.
Reboot and Windows XP should re-detect the USB controllers/ports/root hubs
correctly.

AS for have 12 ports, this is correct! You have 6 USB 2.0 port and 6 USB
1.x ports. The enhanced USB controller/adpater requires 2 separate
definitions per port so that USB 2.0 and USB 1.x can work correctly (???)