Win98, serial port, DOS printing

What does Win98 SE require for DOS printing via the serial port? (I'm
using a serial cable and null modem.)

Both ports work OK for Windows programs, and on my Win95 computer,
they can both handle DOS and Windows printing. But on my Win98
system, only the parallel port handles both kinds of prints. When I
try sending something to the serial port from the DOS prompt (using
ctrl-P, for example), 123 for DOS or WordPerfect for DOS, I get a
"printer error, not defined" message. I have exhausted all the usual
suspects. Any suggestions?

Alan

lkg2020@yahoo.ca (LKG) wrote in message news:<6f5f51c8.0407131435.370ed4d4@posting.google.com>...
> What does Win98 SE require for DOS printing via the serial port? (I'm
> using a serial cable and null modem.)
>
> Both ports work OK for Windows programs, and on my Win95 computer,
> they can both handle DOS and Windows printing. But on my Win98
> system, only the parallel port handles both kinds of prints. When I
> try sending something to the serial port from the DOS prompt (using
> ctrl-P, for example), 123 for DOS or WordPerfect for DOS, I get a
> "printer error, not defined" message. I have exhausted all the usual
> suspects. Any suggestions?

I don't think it's a Windows problem. But you can check that if you
can boot to DOS and run your apps.

In DOS, you need to setup the serial port in autoexec.bat forst. I
think:
MODE COM1:96,N,8,1,P

f you want to have the apps set to lpt1, the print can be sent to com1
with this additonal line:
MODE LPT1=COM1

That seemed to be the cleanest way to do it, though both DOS 123 and
WP can print to a serial port.
If you have another printer on lpt1, you could make this lpt2

If you're running these from Windows, you can put these in the "MS-DOS
configuration" for the icon.

If that doesn't work, have a look at
<http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/index.html> which has a lot of
advice on WP DOS, specifially printing under Windows.

On 13 Jul 2004 15:35:42 -0700, lkg2020@yahoo.ca (LKG) wrote:

>What does Win98 SE require for DOS printing via the serial port? (I'm
>using a serial cable and null modem.)
>
>Both ports work OK for Windows programs, and on my Win95 computer,
>they can both handle DOS and Windows printing. But on my Win98
>system, only the parallel port handles both kinds of prints. When I
>try sending something to the serial port from the DOS prompt (using
>ctrl-P, for example), 123 for DOS or WordPerfect for DOS, I get a
>"printer error, not defined" message. I have exhausted all the usual
>suspects. Any suggestions?

Does "all the usual suspects" include looking through the bios
carefully for any settings relating to the serial port?

It may also help if you list your model of printer.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The last guy I knew who had the answer to this died in 1937.

:)

-Larry

"LKG" <lkg2020@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> What does Win98 SE require for DOS printing via the serial port? (I'm
> using a serial cable and null modem.)
>
> Both ports work OK for Windows programs, and on my Win95 computer,
> they can both handle DOS and Windows printing. But on my Win98
> system, only the parallel port handles both kinds of prints. When I
> try sending something to the serial port from the DOS prompt (using
> ctrl-P, for example), 123 for DOS or WordPerfect for DOS, I get a
> "printer error, not defined" message. I have exhausted all the usual
> suspects. Any suggestions?

Jd

in the system.ini file add these to the end of the [386enh]
Com1AutoAssign=0
Com2AutoAssign=0

I accept Paypal. Thanks.