Drivers for SATA HDD Need Help

Hi,

I have been searching for a diver for my Seagate SATA HDD.
I have a Dell GX270 and original Dell XP Pro OS.
When I look at the Device Manager, Disk Drives, Drivers it says 2001.
I am sure this is the wrong driver. There was no SATA in 2001.

I need to tell you that I reinstalled the XP Pro and from what I know it
suppoed to install the driver at the beginning by pressing F6. However I
could not find the driver anywhere, not even on Dell Driver CD, not even from
their Web site.

I will reinstall l if I have to if I find the correct SATA driver.

Help appreciated.

I can't see any specific SATA drivers at the Dell website so the best thing
to do is email Dell and ask.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"chris2005" <chris2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I have been searching for a diver for my Seagate SATA HDD.
> I have a Dell GX270 and original Dell XP Pro OS.
> When I look at the Device Manager, Disk Drives, Drivers it says 2001.
> I am sure this is the wrong driver. There was no SATA in 2001.
>
> I need to tell you that I reinstalled the XP Pro and from what I know it
> suppoed to install the driver at the beginning by pressing F6. However I
> could not find the driver anywhere, not even on Dell Driver CD, not even
> from
> their Web site.
>
> I will reinstall l if I have to if I find the correct SATA driver.
>
> Help appreciated.

> "chris2005" <chris2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been searching for a diver for my Seagate SATA HDD.
> > I have a Dell GX270 and original Dell XP Pro OS.
> > When I look at the Device Manager, Disk Drives, Drivers it says 2001.
> > I am sure this is the wrong driver. There was no SATA in 2001.

But there was IDE mode 5, which, if you have certain chipsets,
is what SATA drives appear to the OS as. See below.

> > I need to tell you that I reinstalled the XP Pro and from what I know it
> > suppoed to install the driver at the beginning by pressing F6. However I
> > could not find the driver anywhere, not even on Dell Driver CD, not even
> > from
> > their Web site.
> >
> > I will reinstall l if I have to if I find the correct SATA driver.
> >
> > Help appreciated.

Does it actually NEED any?

The SATA interface on my ASUS PC-DL is working just
fine with the built-in XP support in SP1A. I even installed
the OS to this drive, with NO "F6" intervention.

Benchmarks show throughput about where it ought to be.

If there are no exclamation marks in Device Manager, you might
not have anything to fix.

On Sun, 15 May 2005 10:39:17 -0700, chris2005
<chris2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have been searching for a diver for my Seagate SATA HDD.
>I have a Dell GX270 and original Dell XP Pro OS.
>When I look at the Device Manager, Disk Drives, Drivers it says 2001.
>I am sure this is the wrong driver. There was no SATA in 2001.
>
>I need to tell you that I reinstalled the XP Pro and from what I know it
>suppoed to install the driver at the beginning by pressing F6. However I
>could not find the driver anywhere, not even on Dell Driver CD, not even from
>their Web site.
>
>I will reinstall l if I have to if I find the correct SATA driver.
>
>Help appreciated.

It's not the HDD you need drivers for - it's the SATA (or RAID)
controller thay you are hooking it up to that needs the drivers. You
need to find out who manufactured that, then search out the drivers
for it.