SOYO SY-KT400 Win XP Pro system keeps rebooting

SLB

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2003

Hi- My 2yr old Windows XP professional system keeps rebooting itself,
whenver I'm in MS Word or Photoshop (basically anything except just
web surfing). It seems to happen usually while I'm using
it, most often when I have photoshop or winamp open, and a few apps
open at once. After it reboots, it says Windows has recovered from a
serious error, and reports:

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)

It links to:
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329284
SYMPTOMS
You may receive the following Stop error message:
STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"
The four parameters inside the parentheses may vary.
CAUSE
This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected and
reported an unrecoverable hardware error to Windows XP. To do this,
the processor used the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of
Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of
some Pentium Pro processors. The following factors may cause this
error message:

* System bus errors
* Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code
(ECC) problems
* Cache errors in the processor or hardware
* Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
* Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
* Vendor-specific detected hardware problems

Anyone know how to tell if this is an overheating or a CPU problem?
The reported CPU temperature is usually 68 degrees each time it
reboots itself. I have a Soyo SY-KT400 dragon ultra motherboard and
Athlon XP 2100, which has been very stable up until now. I have
already tried:
-reimaging with Win XP pro SP1
-new power supply installed
-new memory installed (Crucial)
-new VIA 4 in 1 drivers installed
-new BIOS version

One other note: I haven't seen any problems in Fedora2 on this system
(I dual-boot), so I still wonder if it's a Windows XP thing.

Thanks for any tips.

slb53@hotmail.com (slb) wrote in message news:<965a16de.0411031726.795323f8@posting.google.com>...

My first suggestion is to go to this site:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Download the memory testing program. It's a zip file and can be
extracted to a floppy disk or you can extract it as an ISO file and
burn it to a cd (with your problems it might be better if you did this
on another computer and then just use it on yours). Run the program
and see if it comes up with any errors.

Curcial memory is in general good memroy but I have seen some from
them that was bad. Of course they are excellent at covering the
replacement if its bad.

The ways that WinXP and Fedora use memory could be why your not
experiancing the problem when using Fedora.

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:26:33 -0800, slb wrote:

> Hi- My 2yr old Windows XP professional system keeps rebooting itself,
> whenver I'm in MS Word or Photoshop (basically anything except just
> web surfing). It seems to happen usually while I'm using
> it, most often when I have photoshop or winamp open, and a few apps
> open at once. After it reboots, it says Windows has recovered from a
> serious error, and reports:
>
> STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
>
> It links to:
> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329284
> SYMPTOMS
> You may receive the following Stop error message:
> STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
> "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"
> The four parameters inside the parentheses may vary.
> CAUSE
> This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected and
> reported an unrecoverable hardware error to Windows XP. To do this,
> the processor used the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of
> Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of
> some Pentium Pro processors. The following factors may cause this
> error message:
>
> * System bus errors
> * Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code
> (ECC) problems
> * Cache errors in the processor or hardware
> * Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
> * Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
> * Vendor-specific detected hardware problems
>
> Anyone know how to tell if this is an overheating or a CPU problem?
> The reported CPU temperature is usually 68 degrees each time it
> reboots itself. I have a Soyo SY-KT400 dragon ultra motherboard and
> Athlon XP 2100, which has been very stable up until now. I have
> already tried:
> -reimaging with Win XP pro SP1
> -new power supply installed
> -new memory installed (Crucial)
> -new VIA 4 in 1 drivers installed
> -new BIOS version
>
> One other note: I haven't seen any problems in Fedora2 on this system
> (I dual-boot), so I still wonder if it's a Windows XP thing.
>
> Thanks for any tips.

I only have this problem when overclocking. Try lowering the clock speed.
Also, it runs just fine with a Kingston HyperX PC3500, but have to drop
the speed with a Crucial PC3200.

I have the same problem, I have an older beastie, only a P3, 533. I can OC
to 600 and remain stable, but at 620.. BSoD.
Try taking your overclock down in 10% increments until your system is
stable. Just a suggestion.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:43:23 -0400, Gary Balkam wrote:

> I have the same problem, I have an older beastie, only a P3, 533. I can OC
> to 600 and remain stable, but at 620.. BSoD.
> Try taking your overclock down in 10% increments until your system is
> stable. Just a suggestion.

<Sobbing> I...I've tried everything... ;)

I can clock to the max with Linux, it's just XP that seizes. Even Win2K
can handle the speed. I had it dual booting and I didn't have to make any
clock changes uuntil I loaded XP!