Savage problems

Hello,
I'm trying to help a frind on this and I'm not an expert myself..

The problem: an older computer (~6-7yrs) has S3 Savage IX graphics card
(298) with tv-out so I guess it is in a PCI slot?

Updating the existing win2000 to XP caused problems. XP did not
recognice the card but used vgasave instead. Also in the course of
installation XP automatically adjusted the screen so that only the
upper lef corner was visible - no taskbar or effect when using windows
button. The desktop was thus actually larger than the monitor. Only way
out of this seemed to be to reinstall and choose DO NOT automatically
adjust the screen?! Well did this. After reinstallation resolution was
poor but toolbar was visible.

Next manually install S3 Savage IX driver from XP pro disk and now able
to use smth like 800x600 resolution. Did not seem to work perfectly
after this so downloaded the latest driver from
http://www.s3graphics.com and of course is was found under
"discontinued products".. Some new tabs appeared in the display
settings panel but no dramatic improvement was seen in stability or
resolution. Somehow in the display settings/advanced section appeared
lcd monitor and tv monitor and dual displays and problems with setting
my crt plug and play monitor. Tried unistalling tv and lcd.. Well
anyway after confusement and several different adjustments it seemed
only to be able to show 800x600 resolution with 60Hz. During some phase
and some reinstallation resolution of about ~1152x800 could be set but
which did not last after restart.

Well I had to deliver this system with now working 800X600 resolution
to the even more unexperienced person and according to the information
I got it worked with the 800x600 resolution (different ctr-monitor, no
tv connection) and could be connected to web. So a seemingly working
system with a bit poor resolution.

After some time he decided to adjust resolution. The next day (I guess
after restart) the display only showed again only the left corner of
the desktop - no taskbar or anything with crtl-esc. Right-click +
properties apparently opens the display options panel but is not
visible in the part of the desktop what can be seen on the monitor.
What is there to do? Remotely, over the phone? Does anyone know a
working driver for XP and Savage IX?

Many thanks!

Incompatibilities abound!

Tell your friend to get either a new video card or an up to date computer. I
would suggest a new computer. For $299 these days he will have much better
than what he now has.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

<antti98@jippii.fi> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I'm trying to help a frind on this and I'm not an expert myself..
>
> The problem: an older computer (~6-7yrs) has S3 Savage IX graphics card
> (298) with tv-out so I guess it is in a PCI slot?
>
> Updating the existing win2000 to XP caused problems. XP did not
> recognice the card but used vgasave instead. Also in the course of
> installation XP automatically adjusted the screen so that only the
> upper lef corner was visible - no taskbar or effect when using windows
> button. The desktop was thus actually larger than the monitor. Only way
> out of this seemed to be to reinstall and choose DO NOT automatically
> adjust the screen?! Well did this. After reinstallation resolution was
> poor but toolbar was visible.
>
> Next manually install S3 Savage IX driver from XP pro disk and now able
> to use smth like 800x600 resolution. Did not seem to work perfectly
> after this so downloaded the latest driver from
> http://www.s3graphics.com and of course is was found under
> "discontinued products".. Some new tabs appeared in the display
> settings panel but no dramatic improvement was seen in stability or
> resolution. Somehow in the display settings/advanced section appeared
> lcd monitor and tv monitor and dual displays and problems with setting
> my crt plug and play monitor. Tried unistalling tv and lcd.. Well
> anyway after confusement and several different adjustments it seemed
> only to be able to show 800x600 resolution with 60Hz. During some phase
> and some reinstallation resolution of about ~1152x800 could be set but
> which did not last after restart.
>
> Well I had to deliver this system with now working 800X600 resolution
> to the even more unexperienced person and according to the information
> I got it worked with the 800x600 resolution (different ctr-monitor, no
> tv connection) and could be connected to web. So a seemingly working
> system with a bit poor resolution.
>
> After some time he decided to adjust resolution. The next day (I guess
> after restart) the display only showed again only the left corner of
> the desktop - no taskbar or anything with crtl-esc. Right-click +
> properties apparently opens the display options panel but is not
> visible in the part of the desktop what can be seen on the monitor.
> What is there to do? Remotely, over the phone? Does anyone know a
> working driver for XP and Savage IX?
>
> Many thanks!

If the video card drivers was listed under the "discontinued products", it
is time to replace the video card. BFG "seems" to also make a PCI based
nVidia grafics card (at least that what is shown on the newspaper fliers for
the local store around me).