Keyboard & mouse not working after restore - Help

Restored a previous point in Windows XP Pro. Everything seemed to go ok; told
me it restored and then rebooted normally. However now I cannot get any
keyboard or mouse to work. Have tried three different wireless mice and
keyboards, including a Microsoft unit. Also tried a wired MS mouse. KB and
mouse are recogininzed and work prior to the Welcome screen but nothing
after that. Any help appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about keyboard mouse working restore help

    It appears to me that when you did that system restore you went back
    prior to the installation of the wireless KB and Mouse XP Drivers. Do you
    have a CD or Floppy that has the needed drivers and software?
    "skiper2" <skiper2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Restored a previous point in Windows XP Pro. Everything seemed to go ok;
    > told
    > me it restored and then rebooted normally. However now I cannot get any
    > keyboard or mouse to work. Have tried three different wireless mice and
    > keyboards, including a Microsoft unit. Also tried a wired MS mouse. KB
    > and
    > mouse are recogininzed and work prior to the Welcome screen but nothing
    > after that. Any help appreciated.

    no, the kb and mouse have been used for three years and the restore point was
    about two weeks ago. I cannot re-install the drivers since I can't use the
    mouse and KB. Also, they are properly installed as I can use them any time
    prior to the welcome screen. However cannot use them if I boot into safemode
    or safemode w/ command prompt. Is there any way to reverse a restore from the
    Recovery Console (which I can access)?

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > It appears to me that when you did that system restore you went back
    > prior to the installation of the wireless KB and Mouse XP Drivers. Do you
    > have a CD or Floppy that has the needed drivers and software?
    > "skiper2" <skiper2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Restored a previous point in Windows XP Pro. Everything seemed to go ok;
    > > told
    > > me it restored and then rebooted normally. However now I cannot get any
    > > keyboard or mouse to work. Have tried three different wireless mice and
    > > keyboards, including a Microsoft unit. Also tried a wired MS mouse. KB
    > > and
    > > mouse are recogininzed and work prior to the Welcome screen but nothing
    > > after that. Any help appreciated.

    No way to do that, sorry.

    skiper2 wrote:
    > no, the kb and mouse have been used for three years and the restore
    > point was about two weeks ago. I cannot re-install the drivers since
    > I can't use the mouse and KB. Also, they are properly installed as I
    > can use them any time prior to the welcome screen. However cannot use
    > them if I boot into safemode or safemode w/ command prompt. Is there
    > any way to reverse a restore from the Recovery Console (which I can
    > access)?
    >
    > "Rich Barry" wrote:
    >
    >> It appears to me that when you did that system restore you went
    >> back prior to the installation of the wireless KB and Mouse XP
    >> Drivers. Do you have a CD or Floppy that has the needed drivers and
    >> software? "skiper2" <skiper2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:BA06FF4C-354B-490C-B58E-75C435156CCA@microsoft.com...
    >>> Restored a previous point in Windows XP Pro. Everything seemed to
    >>> go ok; told
    >>> me it restored and then rebooted normally. However now I cannot get
    >>> any keyboard or mouse to work. Have tried three different wireless
    >>> mice and keyboards, including a Microsoft unit. Also tried a wired
    >>> MS mouse. KB and
    >>> mouse are recogininzed and work prior to the Welcome screen but
    >>> nothing after that. Any help appreciated.

    Haved you looked in the Bios for any settings that you can enable for
    Mouse and Keyboard? If you have a WinXP CD
    set the Cdrom as first boot device and see if the Mouse and Keyboard
    allow you to do a Repair Install.

    "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
    > No way to do that, sorry.
    >
    > skiper2 wrote:
    >> no, the kb and mouse have been used for three years and the restore
    >> point was about two weeks ago. I cannot re-install the drivers since
    >> I can't use the mouse and KB. Also, they are properly installed as I
    >> can use them any time prior to the welcome screen. However cannot use
    >> them if I boot into safemode or safemode w/ command prompt. Is there
    >> any way to reverse a restore from the Recovery Console (which I can
    >> access)?
    >>
    >> "Rich Barry" wrote:
    >>
    >>> It appears to me that when you did that system restore you went
    >>> back prior to the installation of the wireless KB and Mouse XP
    >>> Drivers. Do you have a CD or Floppy that has the needed drivers and
    >>> software? "skiper2" <skiper2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>> message news:BA06FF4C-354B-490C-B58E-75C435156CCA@microsoft.com...

    BIOS settings are OK. I guess I'll try the Repair Install. I can access the
    drive if I boot from another drive in the system. Is there any way I can make
    repairs or undo the restore from another boot drive?
    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Haved you looked in the Bios for any settings that you can enable for
    > Mouse and Keyboard? If you have a WinXP CD
    > set the Cdrom as first boot device and see if the Mouse and Keyboard
    > allow you to do a Repair Install.
    >
    > "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
    > > No way to do that, sorry.
    > >
    > > skiper2 wrote:
    > >> no, the kb and mouse have been used for three years and the restore
    > >> point was about two weeks ago. I cannot re-install the drivers since
    > >> I can't use the mouse and KB. Also, they are properly installed as I
    > >> can use them any time prior to the welcome screen. However cannot use
    > >> them if I boot into safemode or safemode w/ command prompt. Is there
    > >> any way to reverse a restore from the Recovery Console (which I can
    > >> access)?

  6. After wasting my time reading piles of garbage on how to fix this problem this is what I did. (This only works if you lost your mouse and not your keyboard) Hit shift + alt + num lock you might have to do this a couple of times. This will bring up the window so you can use you number keys to move your mouse. hit enter (this will click the ok button). Now you can use your number keypad to move your mouse. 8 up 2 down 4 left 6 right 5 left click. This is all you will need to get back to system restore and undo the restoration. Hopefully your computer wasn't so bad that you can go from there.

Mice Microsoft Keyboards Windows XP