Broadband

I have two PCs which I want to enable to receive Broadband independently of
each other without a Radio.

I have had different suggestions, which for one reason or another are
unsuitable. e.g. lack of Ethernet ports, so a router system is out.

Now I had the following suggestion:-

"If you are running Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 or XP, install a network card
in the machine with the broadband modem, enable Internet Connection Sharing
(ICS) for the broadband modem, install a network card in the computers you
want to share with and lastly set each computer to obtain its IP
configuration via dynamic allocation (DHCP)."

Will someone who has better knowledge of these matters than I advise me
whether this suggestion will give me the results I want as above. My OS is
Win.XPPro (SP2).
Thank you.

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
message news:O0GThFuWFHA.2540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I have two PCs which I want to enable to receive Broadband independently of
>each other without a Radio.
>
> I have had different suggestions, which for one reason or another are
> unsuitable. e.g. lack of Ethernet ports, so a router system is out.
>
> Now I had the following suggestion:-
>
> "If you are running Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 or XP, install a network
> card in the machine with the broadband modem, enable Internet Connection
> Sharing (ICS) for the broadband modem, install a network card in the
> computers you want to share with and lastly set each computer to obtain
> its IP configuration via dynamic allocation (DHCP)."
>
> Will someone who has better knowledge of these matters than I advise me
> whether this suggestion will give me the results I want as above. My OS is
> Win.XPPro (SP2).
> Thank you.

Yes it would work. Internet Connection Sharing uses one computer as a
router. This actually takes one more NIC (ethernet port) than using a stand
alone router. A stand alone router is a better solution.

Kerry

> "annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
> message news:O0GThFuWFHA.2540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>I have two PCs which I want to enable to receive Broadband independently
>>of each other without a Radio.
>>
>> I have had different suggestions, which for one reason or another are
>> unsuitable. e.g. lack of Ethernet ports, so a router system is out.
>>
>> Now I had the following suggestion:-
>>
>> "If you are running Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 or XP, install a network
>> card in the machine with the broadband modem, enable Internet Connection
>> Sharing (ICS) for the broadband modem, install a network card in the
>> computers you want to share with and lastly set each computer to obtain
>> its IP configuration via dynamic allocation (DHCP)."
>>
>> Will someone who has better knowledge of these matters than I advise me
>> whether this suggestion will give me the results I want as above. My OS
>> is Win.XPPro (SP2).
>> Thank you.
>>

> Yes it would work. Internet Connection Sharing uses one computer as a
> router. This actually takes one more NIC (ethernet port) than using a
> stand alone router. A stand alone router is a better solution.
>
> Kerry

I missed the part about independently of each other. With Internet
Connection Sharing the computer connected to the internet (broadband modem)
has to be running for the other computer to get internet access. So the
answer to your question is no it will not work if you need the computers to
be independent from one another. The only thing that will work is a router
(wired or wireless) or two broadband connections, one for each computer.

Kerry

On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:07:23 +0100,
wrote:

>I have two PCs which I want to enable to receive Broadband independently of
>each other without a Radio.
>
>I have had different suggestions, which for one reason or another are
>unsuitable. e.g. lack of Ethernet ports, so a router system is out.
>
>Now I had the following suggestion:-
>
>"If you are running Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 or XP, install a network card
>in the machine with the broadband modem, enable Internet Connection Sharing
>(ICS) for the broadband modem, install a network card in the computers you
>want to share with and lastly set each computer to obtain its IP
>configuration via dynamic allocation (DHCP)."
>
>Will someone who has better knowledge of these matters than I advise me
>whether this suggestion will give me the results I want as above. My OS is
>Win.XPPro (SP2).
>Thank you.

If you want each machine to access the net independently of each
other, then you have no choice but to use a router. Sorry.