SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0 doesn't boot

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2004 9:40:06 PM

A couple months back I bought a SOYO SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
mobo from newegg cause of the rebate (which I cam still waiting for).
I've built a few systems before so I don't consider myself a newbee. I
get power but it doesn't boot. I get no video or beeps. I've replaced
the cpu and get the same result. Is there something else I should try
before I get an rma?

More about : p4i865pe dragon boot

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2004 7:35:02 AM

I would remove EVERYTHING that you added to the board, including the
CPU, and start over rom scratch. That way you have given it every
chance to be you, if it still doesn't work then RMA it.

On 17 Nov 2004 18:40:06 -0800, "trumby" <trumby@optonline.net> wrote:

>A couple months back I bought a SOYO SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
>mobo from newegg cause of the rebate (which I cam still waiting for).
>I've built a few systems before so I don't consider myself a newbee. I
>get power but it doesn't boot. I get no video or beeps. I've replaced
>the cpu and get the same result. Is there something else I should try
>before I get an rma?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2004 9:45:52 AM

"trumby" <trumby@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<1100745606.489314.160110@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...

Your post leads to a few questions, first you say you bought the board
a few months ago. Did you have it working or are you now just putting
it together?
Assuming it's a new build do you have the proper power supply
(ATX12V)with both motherboard power connectors plugged in? You say
your getting power but power to what? If you don't have both power
connectors plugged in you could get fans running and even hear the
hard drives spin up but without the small four pin connector plugged
in it wouldn't have the power for the video card or cpu.

You should also post all the parts your trying to use in this system
and how you have them connected.

> A couple months back I bought a SOYO SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
> mobo from newegg cause of the rebate (which I cam still waiting for).
> I've built a few systems before so I don't consider myself a newbee. I
> get power but it doesn't boot. I get no video or beeps. I've replaced
> the cpu and get the same result. Is there something else I should try
> before I get an rma?
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2004 1:42:10 PM

tumby,

Did you apply the latest Soyo BIOS update before trying to boot?

There is a known problem with the i865 boards and Intel CPUs using C0
stepping. I don't remember all the details but they may be discussed on the
SOYO, Intel or MS sites. Also, I don't know how you determine if your
processor uses C0 stepping. I do know that the problem only happens with
Prescott core processors and I know that all Celeron D and some early P4
processors use C0 stepping.

Wayne

"trumby" <trumby@optonline.net> wrote in message
> A couple months back I bought a SOYO SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
> mobo from newegg cause of the rebate (which I cam still waiting for).
> I've built a few systems before so I don't consider myself a newbee. I
> get power but it doesn't boot. I get no video or beeps. I've replaced
> the cpu and get the same result. Is there something else I should try
> before I get an rma?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2004 3:28:31 PM

I've tried a p4 1.7 and just bought a p4 2.4 and get the same result.
I've tried with everything removed and get the same result. Even tried
clearing the bios.

The light on the motherboard lights up and all the fans spin. The fan
on the heatsink spins. I have a p4 approved power supply.
Was just wondering if I missed something. Guess I have to RMA.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2004 11:08:47 PM

"trumby" <trumby@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<1100809711.504696.88200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...
> I've tried a p4 1.7 and just bought a p4 2.4 and get the same result.
> I've tried with everything removed and get the same result. Even tried
> clearing the bios.
>
> The light on the motherboard lights up and all the fans spin. The fan
> on the heatsink spins. I have a p4 approved power supply.
> Was just wondering if I missed something. Guess I have to RMA.

This is great - I've had the same problem. These are my specs:
SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
3.2gig Prescott CPU
1 gig 3200 Mushkin memory (matched, came in dual pack)

I try starting it, and I get no beeps, no video, nothing. I pull all
the memory out, and same result - no beeps, no video, nothing. I
believe I reset the CMOS correctly, and wanted to remove the battery
just to make sure, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and didn't
want to force anything. I also had the board for a few months in box,
but am just now getting around to building the thing. the power
supply worked fine - I just had it connected to a different board.
Any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2004 3:54:24 PM

I don't have access to this whole thread; so I'm not sure if you set the
time in BIOS. As soon as you power up go into the BIOS setup and set
the time, at least, and then it should power up.

I had the same situation as you have. I had the board sitting around for
several months but never got around to upgrading until the other day. I
don't remember if there was any kind of beep when I first turned the
power on but I got absolutely noting until I set the time.

Wayne

GoldyGopher wrote:
> "trumby" <trumby@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<1100809711.504696.88200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...
>
>>I've tried a p4 1.7 and just bought a p4 2.4 and get the same result.
>>I've tried with everything removed and get the same result. Even tried
>>clearing the bios.
>>
>>The light on the motherboard lights up and all the fans spin. The fan
>>on the heatsink spins. I have a p4 approved power supply.
>>Was just wondering if I missed something. Guess I have to RMA.
>

> This is great - I've had the same problem. These are my specs:
> SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
> ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
> 3.2gig Prescott CPU
> 1 gig 3200 Mushkin memory (matched, came in dual pack)
>
> I try starting it, and I get no beeps, no video, nothing. I pull all
> the memory out, and same result - no beeps, no video, nothing. I
> believe I reset the CMOS correctly, and wanted to remove the battery
> just to make sure, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and didn't
> want to force anything. I also had the board for a few months in box,
> but am just now getting around to building the thing. the power
> supply worked fine - I just had it connected to a different board.
> Any suggestions?
December 3, 2004 5:56:06 PM

wayneP <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<4mZrd.44713$AL5.4821@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> I don't have access to this whole thread; so I'm not sure if you set the
> time in BIOS. As soon as you power up go into the BIOS setup and set
> the time, at least, and then it should power up.
>
> I had the same situation as you have. I had the board sitting around for
> several months but never got around to upgrading until the other day. I
> don't remember if there was any kind of beep when I first turned the
> power on but I got absolutely noting until I set the time.
>
> Wayne
>
> GoldyGopher wrote:
> > "trumby" <trumby@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<1100809711.504696.88200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...
> >
> >>I've tried a p4 1.7 and just bought a p4 2.4 and get the same result.
> >>I've tried with everything removed and get the same result. Even tried
> >>clearing the bios.
> >>
> >>The light on the motherboard lights up and all the fans spin. The fan
> >>on the heatsink spins. I have a p4 approved power supply.
> >>Was just wondering if I missed something. Guess I have to RMA.
> >

> > This is great - I've had the same problem. These are my specs:
> > SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
> > ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
> > 3.2gig Prescott CPU
> > 1 gig 3200 Mushkin memory (matched, came in dual pack)
> >
> > I try starting it, and I get no beeps, no video, nothing. I pull all
> > the memory out, and same result - no beeps, no video, nothing. I
> > believe I reset the CMOS correctly, and wanted to remove the battery
> > just to make sure, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and didn't
> > want to force anything. I also had the board for a few months in box,
> > but am just now getting around to building the thing. the power
> > supply worked fine - I just had it connected to a different board.
> > Any suggestions?

If there is no memory on the board and no beeps > you have tried a
known good cpu and you know the board is getting power, the board is
not shorted to the case ( removed and on a non-conductive surface) :
The board is defective.

Dave
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2004 7:22:46 PM

I actually don't get far enough in the bootup process to go into the
bios and set the time...the board receives power (all the fans and
spinning, the hdd powers up) but using both an AGP and PCI video card
I get nothing on the monitor.

wayneP <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<4mZrd.44713$AL5.4821@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> I don't have access to this whole thread; so I'm not sure if you set the
> time in BIOS. As soon as you power up go into the BIOS setup and set
> the time, at least, and then it should power up.
>
> I had the same situation as you have. I had the board sitting around for
> several months but never got around to upgrading until the other day. I
> don't remember if there was any kind of beep when I first turned the
> power on but I got absolutely noting until I set the time.
>
> Wayne
>
> GoldyGopher wrote:
> > "trumby" <trumby@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<1100809711.504696.88200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...
> >
> >>I've tried a p4 1.7 and just bought a p4 2.4 and get the same result.
> >>I've tried with everything removed and get the same result. Even tried
> >>clearing the bios.
> >>
> >>The light on the motherboard lights up and all the fans spin. The fan
> >>on the heatsink spins. I have a p4 approved power supply.
> >>Was just wondering if I missed something. Guess I have to RMA.
> >

> > This is great - I've had the same problem. These are my specs:
> > SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
> > ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
> > 3.2gig Prescott CPU
> > 1 gig 3200 Mushkin memory (matched, came in dual pack)
> >
> > I try starting it, and I get no beeps, no video, nothing. I pull all
> > the memory out, and same result - no beeps, no video, nothing. I
> > believe I reset the CMOS correctly, and wanted to remove the battery
> > just to make sure, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and didn't
> > want to force anything. I also had the board for a few months in box,
> > but am just now getting around to building the thing. the power
> > supply worked fine - I just had it connected to a different board.
> > Any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2004 12:31:35 PM

I don't think you will get anything until you set the time. As soon as you
power up hold down the <DEL> key - don't wait to see if anything happens. If
you don't have something more seriously wrong, you should get the BIOS setup
on the monitor.

Wayne

"GoldyGopher" <allison.davey@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I actually don't get far enough in the bootup process to go into the
> bios and set the time...the board receives power (all the fans and
> spinning, the hdd powers up) but using both an AGP and PCI video card
> I get nothing on the monitor.
>
> wayneP <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > I don't have access to this whole thread; so I'm not sure if you set the
> > time in BIOS. As soon as you power up go into the BIOS setup and set
> > the time, at least, and then it should power up.
> >
> > I had the same situation as you have. I had the board sitting around for
> > several months but never got around to upgrading until the other day. I
> > don't remember if there was any kind of beep when I first turned the
> > power on but I got absolutely noting until I set the time.
> >
> > Wayne
> >
> > GoldyGopher wrote:
> > > "trumby" <trumby@optonline.net> wrote in message

> > > This is great - I've had the same problem. These are my specs:
> > > SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
> > > ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
> > > 3.2gig Prescott CPU
> > > 1 gig 3200 Mushkin memory (matched, came in dual pack)
> > >
> > > I try starting it, and I get no beeps, no video, nothing. I pull all
> > > the memory out, and same result - no beeps, no video, nothing. I
> > > believe I reset the CMOS correctly, and wanted to remove the battery
> > > just to make sure, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and didn't
> > > want to force anything. I also had the board for a few months in box,
> > > but am just now getting around to building the thing. the power
> > > supply worked fine - I just had it connected to a different board.
> > > Any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2004 12:46:44 PM

What's with this board?

Frist Soyo rips me off on my $75 rebate_
Then the bios stinks. There is no place to get rid of the soyo splash screen_
Then they don't ship ANY drivers for the board on the install disk_

Now when I FINALLY get a utility to read the board and CPU temps it shows a CPU
temp of 4 degs. Great.

Everybody at SOYO can rest assured this is the last POS SOYO board I will ever
get screwed on.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2004 12:11:37 PM

First off 40c is a normal operating temp for a P-4 cpu other then the
new Prescott cores above 3.0 Ghz. Second no software based program is
totally accurate at reading the operating temp. If you want true temp
readings you will need to install a thermistor into your system which
can be bought at any good computer shop or online. Why would you need a
hacked BIOS program? The P-4 cpu's have locked mulitplyers from Intel
so the only way you can overclock them is by raising the FSB and as the
P-4 evolved the overclocking ability has steadly decreased. The P-4
cpu's with the greatest overclocking ability were the 400Mhz models. In
ending I'll say this, your attitued has a lot to do with your lack of
responces. You made many post's in here bitching about your rebate.
Something that people in the newsgroup have or can do nothing about.
Yes, you have a valid complaint over your rebate, but the newsgroup is
to do with hardware and software problems not business problems.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2004 7:27:17 PM

On 21 Dec 2004 09:11:37 -0800, j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net wrote:

>First off 40c is a normal operating temp for a P-4 cpu other then the
>new Prescott cores above 3.0 Ghz. Second no software based program is
>totally accurate at reading the operating temp. If you want true temp
>readings you will need to install a thermistor into your system which
>can be bought at any good computer shop or online. Why would you need a
>hacked BIOS program? The P-4 cpu's have locked mulitplyers from Intel
>so the only way you can overclock them is by raising the FSB and as the
>P-4 evolved the overclocking ability has steadly decreased. The P-4
>cpu's with the greatest overclocking ability were the 400Mhz models. In
>ending I'll say this, your attitued has a lot to do with your lack of
>responces. You made many post's in here bitching about your rebate.
>Something that people in the newsgroup have or can do nothing about.
>Yes, you have a valid complaint over your rebate, but the newsgroup is
>to do with hardware and software problems not business problems.

Some 865/875 boards have a clock throttle which can drop the cpu clock by as
much as 50% when the processor is not under load. Both my p4c800 and my p4p800
have this feature. Apparently the dragon2 does not. The result of cutting the
clock back is that while 40degs is normal when the cpu is busy but 80% of the
time the temp drops to around 30C.

As for the bios_ Who said anything about overclocking? And yes I am aware of the
p4's multiplier configuration and overclock-ability. There are more options than
fsb/memory clock rate and core voltage to contend with in most of the bios
setups I have used. For example, this one only has 2 boot devices and for some
reason regardless of where they are set if you add or subtract a drive the bios
changes the boot devices on it's own. Doesn't seem like a very good feature.
Also I'd like to get rid of the soyo splash screen. Not an option.

I'm not looking for extreme accuracy temperature reading just something close.
The soyo utility shows a CPU temp of 4C. Not 40_ FOUR. Seems like they can do a
tad bit better than that.

Regarding appropriate posts: Problems with a manufacturer or their policies are
just as appropriate as problems with the hardware or configuration. No one is
asking anyone in the news group to 'do' anything about it (obviously) but it is
a perfect forum to make people aware of potential scams. If the topics must be
confined to hardware or software then offering me advice on my posting etiquette
is just as inappropriate.
!