XP will not boot after motherboard install

I have just changed my athlon motherboard with 1900 processor to an asus
p4p-e delux motherboard (Pentium) with a P4 3.0ghz processor.
I'm running XP home SP2, 512 ram.

I've just changed the motherboard and processor and kept my 2 hard drives ,
CDRW and DVD.
I was expecting XP to boot as normal when I switched on but it doesn't,
after switching on it runs through the bios checks identifying the installed
drives then a screen appears saying that windows didn't start properly which
could be due to new hardware (there are other reasons listed).

It gives me the option of starting in safe mode or start normally or start
with last known good configuration but whichever one I choose it just goes
back to the beginning of the bios start up and windows doesn't load.

Any ideas?

Many thanks
Mike

Of course Windows will not boot normally. You don't have any of the
requisite drivers installed for the new hardware.

This will be done when you perform a repair install. Then, after you boot
into the operating system, you will then have to install the correct M/B
drivers from the CD that came with the M/B. Then you will have to reinstall
any Windows updates that are indicated. Then you will have to search for and
install any updates to the M/B drivers that you just installed

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"mikeyman" <.> wrote in message
>I have just changed my athlon motherboard with 1900 processor to an asus
>p4p-e delux motherboard (Pentium) with a P4 3.0ghz processor.
> I'm running XP home SP2, 512 ram.
>
> I've just changed the motherboard and processor and kept my 2 hard drives
> , CDRW and DVD.
> I was expecting XP to boot as normal when I switched on but it doesn't,
> after switching on it runs through the bios checks identifying the
> installed drives then a screen appears saying that windows didn't start
> properly which could be due to new hardware (there are other reasons
> listed).
>
> It gives me the option of starting in safe mode or start normally or start
> with last known good configuration but whichever one I choose it just goes
> back to the beginning of the bios start up and windows doesn't load.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Many thanks
> Mike

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It amazes me that you would expect a normal boot when moving from an Athlon
to Pentium motherboard, no way that would ever happen. Follow Richard's
advise.

"mikeyman" <.> wrote:

>I have just changed my athlon motherboard with 1900 processor to an asus
>p4p-e delux motherboard (Pentium) with a P4 3.0ghz processor.
>I'm running XP home SP2, 512 ram.
>
>I've just changed the motherboard and processor and kept my 2 hard drives ,
>CDRW and DVD.
>I was expecting XP to boot as normal when I switched on but it doesn't,
>after switching on it runs through the bios checks identifying the installed
>drives then a screen appears saying that windows didn't start properly which
>could be due to new hardware (there are other reasons listed).
>
>It gives me the option of starting in safe mode or start normally or start
>with last known good configuration but whichever one I choose it just goes
>back to the beginning of the bios start up and windows doesn't load.
>
>Any ideas?

When you change the motherboard on a Windows XP computer you almost
always must do a repair install of Windows XP unless the new
motherboard is an exact replacement for the old one.

A repair install will preserve all of your installed applications,
configuration settings, and user data files. Windows updates will
have to be reinstalled.

Notes:
1. In order to do a repair install you must have a Windows XP
Installation CD. A "System Recovery" disk such as is provided by
major computer manufacturers will not do a Repair Install in most
instances.

2. If you have upgraded your installed Windows XP to Service Pack 2
and your installation CD is the original release or Service Pack 1
version of Windows XP then you *must* create a new installation CD
with Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it. See the following web
sites:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

3. Your Windows XP will require reactivation with the new motherboard
and if your Windows XP is an SLP (=BIOS locked) OEM version of Windows
XP then you will not be able to activate it. A BIOS locked OEM
version will be one from a major computer manufacturer and the
computer would not have required activation when it was first
purchased.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

All the ideas are exact, but, to be honest, I would do a clean install
if you don't have too much important info on your hard drive. Also, if
you did a back up of your hard drive, most likely with the MB switch,
that wouldn't work either. Repairs have failed many times but have also
worked. I don't mean you specifically but many are too lazy to reinstall
the os and go through the updates, downloads, installs, etc.... and
don't give thought to backup the important info on a non-full system
backup as well as a full system backup before a major overhaul. If a
repair works, good for you. You almost go through more trouble doing a
repair than a clean install, once again depending on how important the
info is on your hard drive.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Many many thanks for all of your responses.

If I add a SATA drive (I have the capacity to do this) and do a clean
reinstall on this drive (adjusing the bios so this becomes the first boot
drive).
would it work with my other 2 IDE drives. Would there be any conflict with
my current c: drive (which I presume would change to D:) and operating
system, which I would remove once I have moved the data I want to keep.

Thanks again
Mike

"mikeyman" wrote:

> I have just changed my athlon motherboard with 1900 processor to an asus
> p4p-e delux motherboard (Pentium) with a P4 3.0ghz processor.
> I'm running XP home SP2, 512 ram.
>
> I've just changed the motherboard and processor and kept my 2 hard drives ,
> CDRW and DVD.
> I was expecting XP to boot as normal when I switched on but it doesn't,
> after switching on it runs through the bios checks identifying the installed
> drives then a screen appears saying that windows didn't start properly which
> could be due to new hardware (there are other reasons listed).
>
> It gives me the option of starting in safe mode or start normally or start
> with last known good configuration but whichever one I choose it just goes
> back to the beginning of the bios start up and windows doesn't load.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Many thanks
> Mike

izzy

Should be no problems although i would unplug your other drives untill
the install is complete then power off and plug them back in.