dunga

Distinguished
May 17, 2005

ran PC Doctor on my computer and it froze at 65%. I waited for aprox. 2
hrs and it was still frozen. I couldn't do ctl-alt-del so I did a hard boot.
Problem is that I can an unreadible or recognizable disk. It gives me the
options F10 Menu and F2 for setup.
I tried re-intalling windows, but when I boot from the Windows CD and go to
install, it says partiiton format unknown. I did not re-format 'cause I
need the data!
In one of the groups I saw someone who had a similar problem. One of the
suggestions was to download and run MBRwork. I did and now when I turn on
the computer I just get a black screen and the cursor just stays there
blinking.

I rank chkdsk /r and get "volume appears to contain 1 or more unrecoverable
problems.
I desparately need the data in the disk.
Does anyone know what I can do?

Mbr won't do it. That's the master boot record. Why were you running pc
doctor? pre-problems? It sounds like either a virus or you have a
corrupt\worn out partition. This is usually fixed by doing "hate to
tell you this" a fresh install. I personally have never saw a repair
work in this situation. Some pc repair stores or companies can extract
all the data off your drive if important enough for around 60 dollars,
give or take a few, depending on how much info, size of drive, etc...
The reason you have a blinking curser is due to no OS or partition. I
can never say this enough, BACK UP YOUR DATA! yes i am yelling at you.
lol. This is the single most important thing you can do to insure your
info will be immortal. I am guessing you ran into a few more errors
that weren't mentioned. Also, worst case, your hard drive failed. There
could be many reasons this situation happened to you but given the
little info it's hard to tell. Install new software?Have a virus?

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

khatwanga

Distinguished
May 25, 2003

dunga

Distinguished
May 17, 2005

I ran PCDoctor because my norton virus scan got stuck on OpenMG and wouldn't
pass that point. I have both Norton w/automatic update and Ad-ware also up
to date. And I do deserve to be yelled at! I always yell at everyone else
about backup :(

Do you know what software the techies shops use to retrieve the data? I am
on my way to buying a new HD. I didn't respond earlier 'cause I had to go on
a quick trip, but am back now.

Help!

"PCDaddy" wrote:

> Mbr won't do it. That's the master boot record. Why were you running pc
> doctor? pre-problems? It sounds like either a virus or you have a
> corrupt\worn out partition. This is usually fixed by doing "hate to
> tell you this" a fresh install. I personally have never saw a repair
> work in this situation. Some pc repair stores or companies can extract
> all the data off your drive if important enough for around 60 dollars,
> give or take a few, depending on how much info, size of drive, etc...
> The reason you have a blinking curser is due to no OS or partition. I
> can never say this enough, BACK UP YOUR DATA! yes i am yelling at you.
> lol. This is the single most important thing you can do to insure your
> info will be immortal. I am guessing you ran into a few more errors
> that weren't mentioned. Also, worst case, your hard drive failed. There
> could be many reasons this situation happened to you but given the
> little info it's hard to tell. Install new software?Have a virus?
>

> --
> PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

If you can take the drive, and slave it to another machine or put it in a
shuttle, I have had great success with a neat little program called
Testdisk. It can be found at http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.html

Hope this helps.

-n-