Opinion: Is Windows 8 Worth $15 for New PC Owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No I wouldnt take it if it was given to me for free. The only place for windows 8 is tablets or the garbage.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Yes. I get that people don't appreciate the 'desktop' changes but from an admin point of view I can live with the changes and am already appreciating some of them. From the view of the standard user (The users that have seen it for the first time and a load that have used it) the change will simplify a few core services and lead to a better user experience. After all they just want 'easy' and 'shiny'.

$15... bargain.

Waahhh the start menu has gone missing!! Has it? Wahhh I can't only multiple windows! Yeah, you can, stop waaa'ing and you'll notice that it's still easy. Waaahh the desktop shortcuts are now great big tiles! Fair enough.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]tecknogod[/nom]No I wouldnt take it if it was given to me for free. The only place for windows 8 is tablets or the garbage.[/citation]

This.
This will be worst than Vista and Me.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
@ Damianrobertjones - "After all they just want 'easy' and 'shiny'." This is exactly why We dont want it on windows. If people want easy and stupid go OSx... stay away from windows.

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Yes because Microsoft thinks we all are dumb and need big new shiny buttons tiles. I happen to like the start button. Now my desktop looks like a tablet.... No Thanks

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Im so confused on what windows 8 is actually doing for regular desktop users, if i dont have a touch screen is there any reason for me to upgrade? is there any features being added that adds from windows 7 as a desktop platform?

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Depending on the version of Windows 8 yes $15 is a good deal.

I happen to like Windows 8 and the Metro UI. It is not only designed for smaller screens such as tablets but also larger screens such as TVs (which will make controlling my computer from the couch a hell of a lot easier). When I want to sit down and use my computer I can switch out of metro. I don't know why there is so much hate.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
after vista and microsofts dx 10 is only for vista, a move to try to get gamers to "upgrade" i would get windows 8 only if it was severely cheaper than retail price, as in 25$, and not getting it to use, just as an in case they try to pull the same crap again, i got the os and i can dual boot if need be.

G

The UI isnt the issue, what happens to all of us who just built a monster 6 core cpu 670 sli system last month and want to upgrade to windows 8 ( I like Metro for the 52" tv in the living room idea ) and don't want a new PC just to get windows 8 for cheap? if they sell win 8 pro for more we won't bother to upgrade just like many are still on XP.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
The Surface will fail because it's an unimpressive product that's late to the game and too expensive.
Then Nokia is going to die, and Windows Phone along with.
In the end, the only ones being stuck with the stupidity of Metro will be PC users.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
So... the real cost is Windows 7 pro (already built into the price) + $15 to get Windows 8?

Hah!

No thanks

Seriously, metro looks like a poorly designed web site from 1990... back when throwing around tables everywhere was king.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Well, a laptop with windows 7 home premium gets "pro" features(hyper-v, domains, etc.?) for $15. That's a lot cheaper than upgrading to 7 pro...

I might get it, though no aero=no buy.

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I do not use the start menu other than the run box on the start menu because its a supped up run command. I rarely ever launch an app from clicking on an icon in the start menu or on the desktop. In fact I get annoyed by the clutter and I usually have so many windows open it would be a chore to get to the desktop or navigate through my long list of apps in the start menu. As long as they include power shell and the run box I will be happy.

Does a power user really navigate through their start menu?

Status
Not open for further replies.