Keyboard freezes every startup from cold.. Please help.

Hi,

I run WindowsXP SP2 on a fairly up to date and powerful PC. (I will not
bore you with the details). Everything works well except as below.

I have the Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard and the Wireless Intellimouse
Explorer2. Every time on startup from cold, when I get to the screen
which asks for me to select the user and enter the password - I click on
the user, the mouse works, but the first depression of the first key,
any key, on the keyboard, and both keyboard and mouse freeze up.

So I press the reset button on the PC case, the machine goes into the
restart process, but this time the mouse and keyboard work perfectly.
But the part I hate is having to sit and wait through two startup
sequences.

The batteries are OK, the wireless signal quality is high, (has to be,
the sensor is situated below the keyboard).

Will you kindly suggest what I should do so that the mouse and keyboard
do not freeze the first time I startup from cold.

Many thanks,

Royston.
1 answer Last reply
More about keyboard freezes startup cold help

    Wireless keyboard or mouse does not respond as expected
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838398

    How to Troubleshoot Keyboard Problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258826

    Submit a question to a Microsoft Support Technician:
    http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=dm;en-us;select&target=assistance&c1=502

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Royston Tin" wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | I run WindowsXP SP2 on a fairly up to date and powerful PC. (I will not
    | bore you with the details). Everything works well except as below.
    |
    | I have the Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard and the Wireless Intellimouse
    | Explorer2. Every time on startup from cold, when I get to the screen
    | which asks for me to select the user and enter the password - I click on
    | the user, the mouse works, but the first depression of the first key,
    | any key, on the keyboard, and both keyboard and mouse freeze up.
    |
    | So I press the reset button on the PC case, the machine goes into the
    | restart process, but this time the mouse and keyboard work perfectly.
    | But the part I hate is having to sit and wait through two startup
    | sequences.
    |
    | The batteries are OK, the wireless signal quality is high, (has to be,
    | the sensor is situated below the keyboard).
    |
    | Will you kindly suggest what I should do so that the mouse and keyboard
    | do not freeze the first time I startup from cold.
    |
    | Many thanks,
    |
    | Royston.

Mice Wireless Intellimouse Keyboards Windows XP