P4I875P Black Label / Western Digital Raptor SATA question

Howdy,

I'm building a new rig and have a question. This is the first time I
will be installing an SATA Hard Drive.

During OS installation (Win XP Pro w/SP2), do I need to press F6 and load
the SATA drivers ?

If so, exactly which ones ?

I read the manual and it mentions both ICH5R and ALi M5281 / M5228.

I'm not sure if ONE or ALL are needed (during OS installation).

Note: I am only installing ONE hard drive. I will not be using a raid setup.

Thanks in advance,
Glenn

ps - One more quick question. I haven't gotten the Raptor yet. Do I need to
order a power supply adapter for it ?
I may be getting an OEM version from Newegg.

Power supply adapter? does you ps have a sata connector? They are
different than the normal connector for the IDE devices.
Yes you will need to press F 6 during the install. Later during the
install you will be prompted to select the driver for your situation,
via, sis, nvidia....etc.
Any other ?s post.

You first have to figure out which SATA controller you want to hook
your hard drive up to. On your motherboard there are two choices to do
this, you can connect it to the Intel ICH5R or the ALi M5238
controller. I would suggest the Intel ICH5R connecting the drive to
this controller will shorten your boot time because hard drive
detection on the ALi controller will add another complete step in your
boot up sequence.

But no matter which way you go your going to need to have the driver
for either one of these controllers on a floppy disk for installation
during the setup of WinXP. If you choose the ALi controller you will
find the instructions on page 102 of your manual. If you don't use the
ALi controller make sure it is set to disabled in your motherboard
BIOS. If you choose the Intel ICH5R controller for your SATA drive the
directions for installation during setup of WinXP are found on page 104
of your manual.

Glenn Watkins wrote:
> I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "...you will be
prompted
> to select the driver for your situation, via, sis, nvidia....etc."
>
> Is it going to ask me for a specific driver(s) ?
>
> I've been building computers for about 10 yrs but this is the first
time I'm
> installing a SATA drive.
> I don't know what drivers are needed BEFORE the install of Windows
XP.

> Thanks again,
> Glenn
>
> ps - I looked at the power supply I'll be using for the installation
and it
> does have the SATA pwr connector.
>

> <dvnj@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Power supply adapter? does you ps have a sata connector? They are
> > different than the normal connector for the IDE devices.
> > Yes you will need to press F 6 during the install. Later during the
> > install you will be prompted to select the driver for your
situation,
> > via, sis, nvidia....etc.
> > Any other ?s post.

The two SATA controllers offer diffferent RAID formats. Also the reason
you need the SATA drive during setup is because the drivers were not
avalible when WinXP was released. So they don't come on your Windows
disk and Windows can not set up hardware it doesn't have the driver
for.

Glenn Watkins wrote:
> [...]

> > to select the driver for your situation, via, sis, nvidia....etc."
> >
> > Is it going to ask me for a specific driver(s) ?
> >
> > I've been building computers for about 10 yrs but this is the first
> time I'm
> > installing a SATA drive.
> > I don't know what drivers are needed BEFORE the install of Windows
> XP.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Glenn
> >
> > ps - I looked at the power supply I'll be using for the installation
> and it
> > does have the SATA pwr connector.
> >

> > <dvnj@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > Power supply adapter? does you ps have a sata connector? They are
> > > different than the normal connector for the IDE devices.
> > > Yes you will need to press F 6 during the install. Later during the
> > > install you will be prompted to select the driver for your

I would think Windows XP with SP1 or SP2 would contain SATA drivers.

SP2 was released after SATA HD's appeared, didn't it ?

"Glenn Watkins" <glenn.watkins@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I would think Windows XP with SP1 or SP2 would contain SATA drivers.
>
> SP2 was released after SATA HD's appeared, didn't it ?
>
> Thanks again,
> Glenn
>
> <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> The two SATA controllers offer diffferent RAID formats. Also the reason
>> you need the SATA drive during setup is because the drivers were not
>> avalible when WinXP was released. So they don't come on your Windows
>> disk and Windows can not set up hardware it doesn't have the driver
>> for.
>>

>> Glenn Watkins wrote:
>> > Thanks. This is the information I needed.
>> >
>> > I copied the Intel files to a floppy disk as instructed on page 105
>> of the
>> > manual.
>> >
>> > I wonder why there are 2 different SATA chipsets to choose from.
>> > Is one better than the other or do they just offer different
>> configurations
>> > ?
>> >
>> > I can't understand why a SATA drive couldn't be auto-detected without
>> > any additional drivers being required.
>> >
>> > Thanks again,
>> > Glenn
>> >

>> > <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> do
>> your

>> driver
>> installation
>> will
>> the
>> the
>> 104

>> nvidia....etc."

>> first
>> Windows

>> installation

>> are
>> the

Do you have a scratch complete installation disk for xp-sp2? Your the first
if you do that I have seen...

Tim

What do you mean by "scratch complete installation disk for XP-SP2" ?
Because if you mean an installation disk of WinXP with SP-2 already
part of it then I do. They have been out on the shelves for a while
now. But then I made my own copy.

One of the reasons is that WinXP identifys SATA controllers as SCSI
devices. WinXP does have some SCSI device drivers as part of its
installation files. But for the best performance you should use the
driver thats made for your controller and with the size of WinXP you
have to remember there working with limited disk space.

I have this board. Not doing any RAID. Have two SATA HD's (one is my
boot disk) and never did any F6 or installation of specific SATA
drivers. HD's function just fine.

I do get "invalid boot.ini" error on loading of windows, and device
manager has some yellow "!". But after 5 secs Windows loads up and the
system runs fine.

Installed XP home SP1 and downloaded SP2 later. Have been running this
way for two months. Have yet to load either of the SATA chipset
drivers. It appeared to me these were just for RAID arrays.

John R

Glenn Watkins wrote:
> I would think Windows XP with SP1 or SP2 would contain SATA drivers.
>
> SP2 was released after SATA HD's appeared, didn't it ?
>
> Thanks again,
> Glenn
>
> <j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > The two SATA controllers offer diffferent RAID formats. Also the
reason
> > you need the SATA drive during setup is because the drivers were
not
> > avalible when WinXP was released. So they don't come on your
Windows
> > disk and Windows can not set up hardware it doesn't have the driver
> > for.

If your seeing yellow exclimation marks in the device manager it means
you don't have the driver loaded for that device. If you would have
loaded the drivers like you should you wouldn't see these warnings and
also you would most likely see better system operation.