windows xp on an external hard drive

is it possible to install windows xp on an external usb hard disk? when i
tried to do so by booting the windows xp cd, it said that it could not
communicate with the drive i selected and that i might need special software
to do so.

Windows XP cannot be installed on an external drive,
only an internal drive. External drives are designed for
file storage and backups only.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"googen" wrote:

| is it possible to install windows xp on an external usb hard disk? when i
| tried to do so by booting the windows xp cd, it said that it could not
| communicate with the drive i selected and that i might need special software
| to do so.

"is it possible to install windows xp on an external usb hard disk?"
No.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try." - but not in this case.

"googen" <googen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> is it possible to install windows xp on an external usb hard disk? when i
> tried to do so by booting the windows xp cd, it said that it could not
> communicate with the drive i selected and that i might need special
software
> to do so.

It can't be done!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"googen" <googen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> is it possible to install windows xp on an external usb hard disk? when i
> tried to do so by booting the windows xp cd, it said that it could not
> communicate with the drive i selected and that i might need special
> software
> to do so.

Get a SATA disk...
--PA

"googen" <googen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF3A8BBC-DC15-4376-8494-F045A9C69CDD@microsoft.com...
> is it possible to install windows xp on an external usb hard disk? when i
> tried to do so by booting the windows xp cd, it said that it could not
> communicate with the drive i selected and that i might need special software
> to do so.

Not completely true! I believe that only two types of "external" drives can
be used. External SATA and SCSI drives can be set up as "boot" drives
since they will behave as internal drives.

> Windows XP cannot be installed on an external drive,
> only an internal drive. External drives are designed for
> file storage and backups only.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "googen" wrote:
>
> | is it possible to install windows xp on an external usb hard disk? when
> | tried to do so by booting the windows xp cd, it said that it could not
> | communicate with the drive i selected and that i might need special
> software
> | to do so.

Have you done it - or do you only believe it can be done?

I have not found an external drive yet that will allow you to install and
boot Windows XP. As the necessary drivers needed during the very early
stages of the boot process have yet to be installed, any necessary drivers
needed for the hardware would have to be permanently encoded in silicon on
the M/B or on the drive itself.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Not completely true! I believe that only two types of "external" drives
> can be used. External SATA and SCSI drives can be set up as "boot"
> drives since they will behave as internal drives.

>> Windows XP cannot be installed on an external drive,
>> only an internal drive. External drives are designed for
>> file storage and backups only.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "googen" wrote:
>>
>> | is it possible to install windows xp on an external usb hard disk? when
>> | tried to do so by booting the windows xp cd, it said that it could not
>> | communicate with the drive i selected and that i might need special
>> software
>> | to do so.

I believe that Yves meant that those two types could be "mounted"
externally but can be "accessed" as they were internal. There is nothing
that prevent one from having an IDE drive outside the PC case and
"calling" it an "External drive" either, but the "connections" are still
internal as would be with the SATA and SCSI drives Yves mentioned. Fine
point but theoretically correct.

Richard Urban wrote:

> Have you done it - or do you only believe it can be done?
>
> I have not found an external drive yet that will allow you to install and
> boot Windows XP. As the necessary drivers needed during the very early
> stages of the boot process have yet to be installed, any necessary drivers
> needed for the hardware would have to be permanently encoded in silicon on
> the M/B or on the drive itself.
>

> Regards, Richard Urban aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :) If you knew as
> much as you think you know, You would realize that you don't know what
> you thought you knew!

> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message

>> Not completely true! I believe that only two types of "external"
drives
>> can be used. External SATA and SCSI drives can be set up as "boot"
>> drives since they will behave as internal drives.
>>

>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

Like Richard, I would also be surprised to learn that Windows, and
especially XP, can be installed to an external drive. It seems to me that
such a thing wouldn't be good for Microsoft's bottom line.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

> Have you done it - or do you only believe it can be done?
>
> I have not found an external drive yet that will allow you to install and
> boot Windows XP. As the necessary drivers needed during the very early
> stages of the boot process have yet to be installed, any necessary drivers
> needed for the hardware would have to be permanently encoded in silicon on
> the M/B or on the drive itself.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> > Not completely true! I believe that only two types of "external" drives
> > can be used. External SATA and SCSI drives can be set up as "boot"
> > drives since they will behave as internal drives.
> >

> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Windows XP cannot be installed on an external drive,
> >> only an internal drive. External drives are designed for
> >> file storage and backups only.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >> Microsoft Newsgroups
> >>
> >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

------------------

when
> >> software

There you go! Why would they want to allow people to have one hard drive
that they could use between 4 or 5 computers. It would not be a good
business decision to do that!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban