Seeking Recomendations: Old Color Laser for Home Office

Hi:
I willl be shopping soon for a color laser for my home office, and am
hoping I can get some informed recommmendations.

In the past, I've normally gone for used oldie-but-goodie small office
workgroup equipment from eBay which can be had at a good initial price
and has decent availability of reasonably priced ink/toner. The cost
per printed sheet tends to be better than new consumer grade things,
and the machines themselves are sturdy workhorses made to last.
As examples, I have an HP Deskjet 560c ($25 for the printer, $5-10 for
*large* cartridges) and an HP Laserjet 4+ ($70 for printer with
network card, 114m memory, duplex attachment; $15-25 for toner
cartridges). Using HP service manuals and parts from eBay, I'm able to
do my own maintenance.

With that as background, can anyone recommend a color laser to search
for? I would be using it mostly text, some PowerPoint slides and light
non-professional graphics, no photographs.
Basically, I'm looking for a laser replacement for my color inkjet for
maybe under $400.
EBay appears to have alot of Color Laserjet 5 printers for under $250,
with good availablility of accessories/spare parts. Anyone know about
them? I'm unable to find any reviews on the model.

Many thanks for any advice or direction anyone can kindly offer.
1 answer Last reply
More about seeking recomendations color laser home office

    To old and not all that good. Go for a 4500 or 4550 they will suit your
    logic.

    "limner" <limner@arcadia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    > I willl be shopping soon for a color laser for my home office, and am
    > hoping I can get some informed recommmendations.
    >
    > In the past, I've normally gone for used oldie-but-goodie small office
    > workgroup equipment from eBay which can be had at a good initial price
    > and has decent availability of reasonably priced ink/toner. The cost
    > per printed sheet tends to be better than new consumer grade things,
    > and the machines themselves are sturdy workhorses made to last.
    > As examples, I have an HP Deskjet 560c ($25 for the printer, $5-10 for
    > *large* cartridges) and an HP Laserjet 4+ ($70 for printer with
    > network card, 114m memory, duplex attachment; $15-25 for toner
    > cartridges). Using HP service manuals and parts from eBay, I'm able to
    > do my own maintenance.
    >
    > With that as background, can anyone recommend a color laser to search
    > for? I would be using it mostly text, some PowerPoint slides and light
    > non-professional graphics, no photographs.
    > Basically, I'm looking for a laser replacement for my color inkjet for
    > maybe under $400.
    > EBay appears to have alot of Color Laserjet 5 printers for under $250,
    > with good availablility of accessories/spare parts. Anyone know about
    > them? I'm unable to find any reviews on the model.
    >
    > Many thanks for any advice or direction anyone can kindly offer.

Printers Hewlett Packard Office Peripherals