Jenny

HOw do i find out if my computer contains a sound card. I seem to have
problems recording, even though i have a microphone. I've tried plugging it
into the line in on my screen and mic socket on the system unit, and there's
nothing being picked up.

If you got sound coming out, you have a sound card, and most if not all
sound cards are capable of sound in (line in, MIC or both), but it may be
muted via the software.
In control panel, Click on Sounds and Audio Devices, Advanced, Options,
Properties, and scroll down and put a check mark next to "microphone", click
OK - the Play Control windows underneath should now have a "Microphone
Panel", afterwards make sure the Mute box is not checked, then adjust sound
to desired level.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"jenny" <jenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HOw do i find out if my computer contains a sound card. I seem to have
> problems recording, even though i have a microphone. I've tried plugging
> it
> into the line in on my screen and mic socket on the system unit, and
> there's
> nothing being picked up.

Jenny, do you have Recording Software? You can get a free one here. All
Recorder
http://www.winpcware.com/multimedia70.htm

"jenny" <jenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HOw do i find out if my computer contains a sound card. I seem to have
> problems recording, even though i have a microphone. I've tried plugging
> it
> into the line in on my screen and mic socket on the system unit, and
> there's
> nothing being picked up.

Jenny

I dont know if its becuse your explaining a different version of windows (I
have xp), but the control panel isnt set up like that. HOwever, I've been
through all the microphone parts and have made sure they're not muted and
the volume is up. Also my default recording device is Realtek AC97 Audio, if
thatm helps? And under sounds and Audio Device properties, it wont let me
choose advanced settings. Anymore ideas?

"Star Fleet Admiral Q" wrote:

> If you got sound coming out, you have a sound card, and most if not all
> sound cards are capable of sound in (line in, MIC or both), but it may be
> muted via the software.
> In control panel, Click on Sounds and Audio Devices, Advanced, Options,
> Properties, and scroll down and put a check mark next to "microphone", click
> OK - the Play Control windows underneath should now have a "Microphone
> Panel", afterwards make sure the Mute box is not checked, then adjust sound
> to desired level.
>
> --
>
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
>
> http://www.google.com
> Google is your "Friend"
>
> "jenny" <jenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HOw do i find out if my computer contains a sound card. I seem to have
> > problems recording, even though i have a microphone. I've tried plugging
> > it
> > into the line in on my screen and mic socket on the system unit, and
> > there's
> > nothing being picked up.

The RealTek Audio AC97 indicates you have "onboard" sound on the
motherboard - just a microchip on the m/board that processes sound, rather
than a dedicated sound card you plug into a PCI slot.

>I dont know if its becuse your explaining a different version of windows (I
> have xp), but the control panel isnt set up like that. HOwever, I've been
> through all the microphone parts and have made sure they're not muted and
> the volume is up. Also my default recording device is Realtek AC97 Audio,
> if
> thatm helps? And under sounds and Audio Device properties, it wont let me
> choose advanced settings. Anymore ideas?
>
> "Star Fleet Admiral Q" wrote:
>
>> If you got sound coming out, you have a sound card, and most if not all
>> sound cards are capable of sound in (line in, MIC or both), but it may be
>> muted via the software.
>> In control panel, Click on Sounds and Audio Devices, Advanced, Options,
>> Properties, and scroll down and put a check mark next to "microphone",
>> click
>> OK - the Play Control windows underneath should now have a "Microphone
>> Panel", afterwards make sure the Mute box is not checked, then adjust
>> sound
>> to desired level.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
>>
>> http://www.google.com
>> Google is your "Friend"
>>
>> "jenny" <jenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > HOw do i find out if my computer contains a sound card. I seem to have
>> > problems recording, even though i have a microphone. I've tried
>> > plugging
>> > it
>> > into the line in on my screen and mic socket on the system unit, and
>> > there's
>> > nothing being picked up.

Right click the little speaker icon , click open volume controls, look
for the MIC and make sure it's not muted. If nothing still, go to the
upper left corner,click options, properties and click the recording
radio button, make sure MIC has a check beside it.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access