CD-RW/DVD combo probl after SP2, pls help

Tags:
  • DVD
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
May 19, 2005 3:55:02 AM

Since I have installed SP2, my cd-rw/dvd combo can show dvd's, but doesn't
recognice cd's anymore. It doesn't show a label, nothing. No music cd's, no
software cd's.
I have updated Roxio, I have updated firmware + drivers for the Toshiba
drive which is installed in my Compaq Presario laptop.
Any suggestions?
(I have read all the comments in this section about cd and dvd drives, but
couldn't find the problem, I am having)

More about : dvd combo probl sp2 pls

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:20:58 AM

I would try removing all devices from the Secondary IDE Channel. ( One
of the two drive connectors on the Motherboard ) Then rt click
MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA
Controllers-expand>rt click on Secondary IDE Controller and choose
Uninstall. Restart and let WinXP reinstall it. Then shutdown and connect
the Dvd combo drive to the Secondary IDE Channel

"verdi" <verdi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since I have installed SP2, my cd-rw/dvd combo can show dvd's, but doesn't
> recognice cd's anymore. It doesn't show a label, nothing. No music cd's,
> no
> software cd's.
> I have updated Roxio, I have updated firmware + drivers for the Toshiba
> drive which is installed in my Compaq Presario laptop.
> Any suggestions?
> (I have read all the comments in this section about cd and dvd drives, but
> couldn't find the problem, I am having)
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 7:48:03 AM

Thank you so much for you reply. The trouble is, I cannot open this Compaq
Presario laptop and get to the drive connectors of the Motherboard. I have
tried to unscrew all the screws, but there is no way to open the laptop...
with a pc it would have been a lot easier of course.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> I would try removing all devices from the Secondary IDE Channel. ( One
> of the two drive connectors on the Motherboard ) Then rt click
> MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA
> Controllers-expand>rt click on Secondary IDE Controller and choose
> Uninstall. Restart and let WinXP reinstall it. Then shutdown and connect
> the Dvd combo drive to the Secondary IDE Channel
>
> "verdi" <verdi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since I have installed SP2, my cd-rw/dvd combo can show dvd's, but doesn't
> > recognice cd's anymore. It doesn't show a label, nothing. No music cd's,
> > no
> > software cd's.
> > I have updated Roxio, I have updated firmware + drivers for the Toshiba
> > drive which is installed in my Compaq Presario laptop.
> > Any suggestions?
> > (I have read all the comments in this section about cd and dvd drives, but
> > couldn't find the problem, I am having)

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:05:19 AM

Verdi, sorry I missed Laptop. Go to Device Manager and See what shows up
at
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.