Watch out for SP 2

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
December 25, 2004 11:03:15 AM

I had no end of problems with a KT-600 Dragon Plus v2.0, Maxtor 120GB,
nVidia geForce FX 5200 AGP video, and Win XP Home SP 2. It would boot from
CD, detect the drive correctly, begin the O/S installation, then it would
refuse to boot off the hard disk. I fought with this for a week. I changed
hard drives, video cards, moved the RAM, studied all the jumpers, stood on
my head, lit a candle, nothing I did made this thing behave in any
consistent manner. I spent an hour on the phone with Soyo (long-distance
toll call, BTW) and they couldn't make it work.

Finally, with my last brain cell, I tried Win XP Pro SP 1 and it worked
perfectly. I installed it one time and had no more problems.

Bill N.
Cincinnati, OH USA

More about : watch

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 25, 2004 11:03:16 AM

I haven't had any problems running SP-2 on any of my Soyo systems and
have done a number of upgrades to SP-2 on other systems using Abit,
Asus, Gigibyte boards and some Dell systems as well.

I have only encountered one problem so far with SP-2 and it was on a
Athlon 64 based laptop running WinXP Home, it will load SP-2 but on
first reboot will not start.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 25, 2004 1:39:02 PM

I just got a system running again after 2 months offline with about the same
problem as you described.

It had WindowsXP HomeEdition on it also. It has a AthlonXP 2800+ CPU with
nForce2 chipset mainboard

I thought the problem with in the mainboard itself, so I send the board
back. No problems found.

I could not boot to the last known working configuration (restore point) nor
could I boot from the XP CD, or the hard drive.

Booting from the Hard Drive it would hang after installing
C:/Windows/System32/drivers//Mup.sys
Booting from the CD it would also hang, choosing Safe Mode or restore point
or Normal..whatever.

After 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft WindowsXP Customer Support, I
discovered on my own that booting from the CD and using "Ctrl-Alt-Del", I
could get the blue Windows Setup screen to appear. Then choosing "Upgrading
Operating System" would get me me two more options: (1) Repair Operating
System or (2) Install WindowsXP.

I chose (1)Repair Operating System. It was retored with all my applications
to SP1. Note: I use an XP Upgrade CD that is current to SP1.

I don't think *my* problem was SP2 related. It was probably "corrupt
registry" related.

I now need to take a crash course in saving and applying restore points in
case the problem happens again.

Interesting thing about reinstalling SP2. WindowsXP had saved the install
version of SP2 on the Hard from when I had downloaded earlier. Reinstalling
it no additional download was required.. Nice feature!

JoshIII
upstate south carolina

"Bill Nicholson" <usenet@nicholsoncomputerconsulting.com> wrote in message
> I had no end of problems with a KT-600 Dragon Plus v2.0, Maxtor 120GB,
> nVidia geForce FX 5200 AGP video, and Win XP Home SP 2. It would boot from
> CD, detect the drive correctly, begin the O/S installation, then it would
> refuse to boot off the hard disk.....
><snip>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 25, 2004 5:19:46 PM

I DO NOT have the KT-600 MB, I DO HAVE SEVERAL other Soyo boards and
have had no problems with SP2! I have 9 Soyo boards with 2 or 3 of
them running XP Pro and SP2. I wonder if the Home and Pro made a
difference? I have not upgraded any of the Bios's from whatever they
were when I bought them.
I hope you had an anomaly and not the norm!
My boards run 100% of the cpu 100% ofthe time, I run Seti on them.
They all have at least 128 meg of ram but the rest of the stuff is
different on each of them.

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:03:15 -0500, "Bill Nicholson"

!